Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #46
atlthrux
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
The regular flea market seems to limit the posts somehow, either by post age or by # of pages. For example, I can see that the bikes 'last' page's oldest ad is from 6/22.

I googled for vbulletin auto delete plugins, and there are threads of delete-old-posts camps Vs the do-not-delete-old-post camps. Kinda like a cafe Vs preserve discussion here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
A good thought, but not that I'm aware of.

Since this runs on MySQL, this may bear some investigation.

Thanks, BT.

And hey! The Flea Market thread is actually useful again!

Thanks for helping, everyone.
atlthrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #47
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlthrux View Post
The regular flea market seems to limit the posts somehow, either by post age or by # of pages. For example, I can see that the bikes 'last' page's oldest ad is from 6/22.

I googled for vbulletin auto delete plugins, and there are threads of delete-old-posts camps Vs the do-not-delete-old-post camps. Kinda like a cafe Vs preserve discussion here.
The FM mods go through and weed out all the old stuff by hand.

I'm too lazy.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #48
brocktoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Seems like it's going to be an uphill battle to keep discussions out of the flea market, and will require active moderation. See for example the current last page of the FM with back-and-forth dialogue/advice between Big Bamboo, strichzwei, and SERE Nate.

IMO, best solution would be to use a VBulletin mod/plugin specifically for marketplaces, as suggested earlier by guitstik. There are a few actively developed solutions. The most popular/well-supported appears to be this one. Of course, implementation and localization to the ADVrider community might require a fair bit of fiddling.

I'm a web developer (Rails), and would be willing to help with implementation.
brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #49
GCCR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Wanted: Lower Left R100RS/RT Fairing

As described I am in need of the lower left section from a 77-95 Lower Left fairing with split at the bottom that goes over exhaust headers. Preferred with all tabs and bolt holes intact. Please contact by pm here. Thanks.

Dan
GCCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #50
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocktoon View Post
Seems like it's going to be an uphill battle to keep discussions out of the flea market, and will require active moderation.
..and now the battle begins to keep the flea market ads out of the discussion thread.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #51
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
..and now the battle begins to keep the flea market ads out of the discussion thread.
Flea Market Ads in the discussion thread? We will not tolerate this sort of abuse! Double their dues, I say.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #52
nick_rhinocycles
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Yeah that was me. sorry!
How do I move it?

Ok I nuked it, and will repost!

nick_rhinocycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #53
camgregus
riding gently now

Oddometer: 2,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
I couldn't be a moderator.

Thanks for your effort.
Amen.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #54
CaptainCrunch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
I have a Flea-Market-ey question, but I want to follow the rules of the road here. I have a '76 /6 with mechanical gauges that are both unhooked, and a '78 R100S engine with electronic tach hookup.

What's going rate these days for a set of the later instruments?

An Acewell 4000-series can be had for $300-ish, but I kind of want to wait on that (if I ever do the "simplify, then add lightness" suite of mods I'd like to) until I can go through the old gal and inspect/replace every wear item so I can set it to "0" miles and feel honest about it.

I assume my set is worth something to somebody to help offset the cost, but I appreciate some help figuring the buy-in on the "new" parts.

Thanks, dudes.
-Adam
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #55
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

There is no ethical method to reset an odometer to zero. The miles on the vehicle are total miles for it's whole life. You may at some point say "I rebuilt the engine and transmission at 130K" or "She's got 6K since a rebuild" But there is no going back to zero. I actually believe this is a Federal Law in addition too being more in touch with reality.

Why don't you have the mechanical gauges hooked up? They are good instruments if they work. The speedo has a reputation of being a little off. Mine is only about 4% off. The original gauges can be repaired.

Price of the gauges you are thinking of selling varies according to condition and how badly somebody wants them. Ebay seems to be where you might get your best price but then if you don't know how to run an auction there and are impatient you might also get taken. Do a search on Ebay and save the search so you get emails daily on what gauges are going for. In a month or two you'll be the local expert on what these things cost. If you want to place a want ad to sell something do it here on Adventure Rider or also on IBMWR.

The bike will always be worth more if you have the original parts. If you think the after market speedo is what you want I would suggest you put the original in a box. The after market speedo will cost $300 new and be worth $150 after you hook it up. In 3 years the after market speedo that cost you $300 is worth $75, maybe. The original speedo will increase in value. There is no argument with this.

BTW, IMHO, those speedos you youngsters seem to like look awfully ugly to me. Maybe the original is ugly to you? Does that mean anything? I think not. Which one works best? Is more durable? Are there any advantages other than performance or style? You mention saving weight? I think the difference in weight of the speedos may be several ounces. So I still think your best deal would be to fix the OEM gauges.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 07-29-2013, 07:37 AM   #56
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

This is the thread for discussion of items in the flea market thread. It's a concept that will always be difficult to make work. But if somebody else starts a discussion in the flea market thread then yell at the person who starts the discussion. The rest of us just see the discussion we may not realize this is in the flea market thread. They started it not me.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #57
oldroadie
Two wheel addict

Oddometer: 452
I'm still not certain how you link from the flea market to the discussion thread so you can answer a question posed by another member and everybody can follow along. For my purposes, if I'm looking for a specific item the search function works fine, otherwise I don't mind the discussions because its just like being at a flea market or swap meet. People actually talk about all kinds of things at those while browsing the wares.
oldroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #58
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldroadie View Post
i'm still not certain how you link from the flea market to the discussion thread so you can answer a question posed by another member and everybody can follow along. For my purposes, if i'm looking for a specific item the search function works fine, otherwise i don't mind the discussions because its just like being at a flea market or swap meet. People actually talk about all kinds of things at those while browsing the wares.
+1

Old 07-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #59
brocktoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
I'm still not certain how you link from the flea market to the discussion thread so you can answer a question posed by another member and everybody can follow along.
Do you know how to quote another post? Just do that in the flea market ad you want to link to. Then in the message editor, select/copy ALL the contents of the message.

Quote:
[QUOTÉ=oldroadie;21978702]I'm still not certain how you link from the flea market to the discussion thread so you can answer a question posed by another member and everybody can follow along.[/QUOTÉ]
Then come over to the flea market discussion thread and post a reply. Just paste all the contents of the original ad. It'll link to the original post and include all the original text.

Or just say "In the flea market thread, so-and-so was talking about this..."

Quote:
For my purposes, if I'm looking for a specific item the search function works fine, otherwise I don't mind the discussions because its just like being at a flea market or swap meet. People actually talk about all kinds of things at those while browsing the wares.
For me, and most others, I only want to see the "new post" notification in the flea market if there's ACTUALLY a new item for sale/wanted. Plenty of room for discussion elsewhere on advrider. Under normal circumstances I'd like to subscribe to the flea market. Right now it'd be a nightmare because there's way too much noise.

brocktoon screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 09:20 AM
brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #60
CaptainCrunch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
I can't say I considered the legal aspects, though for my own purposes, it's not being sold 'til I'm dead and by then I've got bigger problems.

It's a '76 R75 with a '78 R100S engine.

The mileage is completely unknown. It's not on the title, the non-working speedo/odo reads "0-0-HalfwayBetween9And0-5-8-3". Previous owner thinks it had 25k when he blew up the 750 and replaced it with a very low-mile 100S mill 25k-ish ago. His best guesses. I don't disbelieve him and he was a really nice dude, but it wasn't very helpful. The Acewell is a pretty slick little unit for the money, though I do agree it would look a little odd on an otherwise dead-stock bike. I figured replacing every thing that wears at the same time as buying a new zero-mile odo would be more honest and realistic than pulling a number out of the air, or going by the 9600 miles that the current odo kinda-sorta-could-be-interpreted to indicate.

I unscrewed the speedo cable (already halfway out) since it just bounced around randomly (I know that if it currently isn't completely broken, this can maybe leave some hope of fixing it), and the engine doesn't have a mechanical tach hookup nor the gauges an electric plug. I'd probably fix them (have them fixed, more likely, maybe to use as trade bait), but they're really no good to me unless I swap back to an earlier engine.

I have been watching eBay pretty closely since I got the bike, but we all know you have to wade through a lot of BIN's of varying degrees of optimism to get real numbers, and sometimes it's just better to ask people who actually buy-and-sell "Hey, gents. What does X ACTUALLY go for these days?".

I do drum and guitar resto and building, and there's tons of BIN's for parts by people living on Fantasy Island. I can tell you what a 13" Gretsch tom will really sell for (because I've seen almost every one that sold in the last decade), but looking at what's currently up is useless.

Hope that makes more sense of what & why I'm asking. I'm not trying to pull a fast one on anybody. I just have a bike with busted gauges I couldn't use if they worked and somewhere between 000000 and 999999 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
There is no ethical method to reset an odometer to zero. The miles on the vehicle are total miles for it's whole life. You may at some point say "I rebuilt the engine and transmission at 130K" or "She's got 6K since a rebuild" But there is no going back to zero. I actually believe this is a Federal Law in addition too being more in touch with reality.

Why don't you have the mechanical gauges hooked up? They are good instruments if they work. The speedo has a reputation of being a little off. Mine is only about 4% off. The original gauges can be repaired.

Price of the gauges you are thinking of selling varies according to condition and how badly somebody wants them. Ebay seems to be where you might get your best price but then if you don't know how to run an auction there and are impatient you might also get taken. Do a search on Ebay and save the search so you get emails daily on what gauges are going for. In a month or two you'll be the local expert on what these things cost. If you want to place a want ad to sell something do it here on Adventure Rider or also on IBMWR.

The bike will always be worth more if you have the original parts. If you think the after market speedo is what you want I would suggest you put the original in a box. The after market speedo will cost $300 new and be worth $150 after you hook it up. In 3 years the after market speedo that cost you $300 is worth $75, maybe. The original speedo will increase in value. There is no argument with this.

BTW, IMHO, those speedos you youngsters seem to like look awfully ugly to me. Maybe the original is ugly to you? Does that mean anything? I think not. Which one works best? Is more durable? Are there any advantages other than performance or style? You mention saving weight? I think the difference in weight of the speedos may be several ounces. So I still think your best deal would be to fix the OEM gauges.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote