Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #16
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,296
Thumb 8/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruhusky View Post
I'm old. Well, not really old. Anyway 30 years of riding must count in the worthiness of observation department. My point is I think that both of the crowds have more in common than they think. This dawned on me as I pulled into a gas station / rest area last weekend. Two groups had set-up prior to my arrival. There were the pirates, decked out in their most protective black T shirts and vests, and an equally adorned cluster of rocket boys in T shirts and full face helmets. Where did I park you ask? Off to the side, away from all of them. I went in the store, picked up a sandwich and found a picnic table right between the two camps. There I sat and listened to the banter. Neither group would even look at the other. It was classic. The Ninja / GSXR boys and girls revved up their bikes, with each guy taking turns hitting the rev limiter, before tearing out of the parking lot. The HD boys followed with a healthy dose of revving, before they too, disappeared. Don't get me wrong, I like almost all bikes. And you simply can't beat a 600cc Jap bike for performance on the dollar. And who can forget the RZ350? But, doesn't it get old? I'm talking about the pirates that won't return the wave when you're the only two bikes for miles around, simply because it's not American. Hey, I'd still stop and help him fix his busted bike with my extensive onboard tool kit, that takes up half a hard case--That is, if I had any non-metric tools. The day ended the only way it could have. I'm stuck in a line of cars, after ripping through a turn that the Harley guy behind me was out of his league on. I guess he didn't like that I pulled out 200' on him, because he had to tell me that he "caught" me by throttling his steed again and again. Apparently, the physics of air cooling was lost on him; as it was 94 according to the dash on my GSA. Finally, the line moved and I made a turn. He was hot on my heels, so I backed off even more. It wasn't track day, and who needs a ticket? I should have asked him to race me to 100K miles. I know all riders do not fit into these groups, but why do we always meet them? Funny, if it's crappy out and there's a bike coming at me, 5/10 it's a BMW or KTM. That's a lot considering the numbers of HDs and Jap bikes. Those clam shells just don't cut it in the wet. Maybe they can double up on the bandanas. Time for a drink.
Good twatwaffle rant for a newb.....good but not great.
You should fit in well on ADV. I'm amused that the irony was lost on most.

So......what kind of oil do you use, and how often do you change it?
Old 07-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #17
mikestevens
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
wtf is a warrier?
mikestevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #18
mjfields_228
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
I wave to everyone. Even the small 50cc scooters.

And, regardless of which one of my bikes that I am riding at any given time, when I come up on anything with 3 wheels that is doing 20mph below the speed limit I think about doing really bad "Warrior-Pirate" things to them if they don't pull to the side.
mjfields_228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:48 AM   #19
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharkfan View Post
I think the difference is between "motorcyclists" and "bike owners".

"Motorcyclists" ride their bikes often (or exclusively) and generally are cool , helpful people. Brands don't matter.

"Bike owners" ride on rare occasions and don't care about anybody outside their little group.
And bike owners dont know that they are only bike owners.....judging by some threads around.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:54 AM   #20
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharkfan View Post
I think the difference is between "motorcyclists" and "bike owners".

"Motorcyclists" ride their bikes often (or exclusively) and generally are cool , helpful people. Brands don't matter.

"Bike owners" ride on rare occasions and don't care about anybody outside their little group.
Well all shit now....I thought I was a motorcyclist, I ride 40,000 miles per year on multiple motorcycles I own, but by admission I'm also a bike owner. Sixteen currently. Depending on what bike I'm riding will dictate if I'm cool or not..to other riders, and sometimes I don't care about anybody outside my little group. I'm all screwed up now. Next thing you know and I'll be parking my bike in front of a shrinks office. I did stop the other day to offer help and tools to a knee dragger in Austria that just tossed his chain. I'm not sure why I was carrying a master link on a GSA, but that's probably better left for the shrink....

www.maxdumaz.com
KTM- 2014 500 EXC, 2009 690 Enduro R E BMW- 2012 GTL 1600-sweet, 2011 R1200GS Adventure Honda- 2000 XR650R- 2006 XR650L- Yamaha- 1972 XS750 Tracker, 1971 RC5- BSA- 1945 M20, 1969 BSA 441 Victor . The list goes on but why bore you... 16 and counting. Its an attachment issue.

Motomochila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:25 AM   #21
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestevens View Post
wtf is a warrier?
Wario's sister (ask a 10 y.o.)

Hey, ride what you want.

Most ride what works for them, whether it does function-wise or stylin'-wise.

Kind-of along the OP's topic-
Our best friends ride 2-up on an older Vulcan and we get together and do day trips several times/year. We can go through an entire fuel load ('92 BMW K100RS) without stopping but they need butt breaks every hour.
But Fred really likes the Vulcan and it satisfies the image that he has in his head (Peter Fonda?). And he waves at EVERYONE.

sugarhillctd on the
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:35 AM   #22
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,075
And on the topic of waving......

wtf is with the (mostly) cruiser, low effort look, hand pointing down wave?

Is that the not-too-secret badass signal?

Or is it to get some blood into their left hand after gripping the apehangers?

sugarhillctd on the
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:45 AM   #23
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Guess I find it kind of funny when a see a group of HD riders. Not to say they are like this but the majority seem to be. They are all decked out in black T shirts, mostly HD T shirts, jeans and HD type biker boots with a 33% smattering of leather vests. And all are wearing black 1/2 helmets (mandatory helmet use here). I'd also say at least half the bikes have been modified with extra loud exhausts. That seems like an awful lot of conformity from a brand that markets freedom and non conformity.

Just once I want to see a HD rider in functional gear. Chaps don't count. Personally I don't think I would be eligible to ride a HD as I don't meet the minimum tattoo requirements.

I think it speaks to the cruiser market when Victory hired Sonny Barger, founder of the Hells Angles, as their spokes person.

outsidein screwed with this post 07-21-2013 at 03:54 AM
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:53 AM   #24
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,392
I had a Sportster a while back. Always wore a full face helmet, jacket and gloves. I may have worn jeans vs. riding specific pants, I don't remember.

So we're grouping these folks because of how they dress and because they rev their bikes a lot leaving a rest stop? And think they may be "the same"? Then we move into another discussion about waving?

I don't care how you're dressed. I wave to everyone and often don't even notice if I get a wave back or not - life's too short, who cares?
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #25
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 621
i've seen a LOT of hog riders in full gear out here on the olympic peninsula this weekend, and they've all waved. maybe wa has smarter bike clubs?
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #26
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,406
I wave to everyone, I've noticed that most of the guys on HD touring bikes wave back, while it's less likely to get a wave from the "chopper" crowd. I think they're too busy trying to look badass to wave. I grew up riding waving to fellow riders, it seems less riders wave anymore, just a part of the screw you mentality that seems so pervasive these days.

Whether looking down at other riders for their choice of gear, or the bike they ride, I don't get it I ride to get away to it all and I enjoy the sense of comraderie that I often get. So I'll continue to wave, and if you don't wave back, that's OK with me but you're missing out on a part of the experience.