ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #5896
DonQx OP
Peripathetic @ Heart
 
DonQx's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Land of Oz
Oddometer: 1,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy Rider View Post
They had an awesome trip, great photos. Looks like they travel and camp same as we all do. Can any one join the party?
I reckon.

You might want to sign up to their forum so you can see what's happening. Free like ADV. Good bunch of people.

:-) dq.
DonQx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:25 AM   #5897
marty_leash
Adventurer
 
marty_leash's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Somerset, Tasmania
Oddometer: 22
1/4 day blast.

I went for a ride for the afternoon yesterday. I covered 150km on 80% gravel and dirt roads. Not even 20 min into the ride I was caught off guard on some clay and put the bike down hard on the right side. It made me laugh but bent the handle bars at an awkward angle. Who needs straight handle bars anyway right? Didn't stop the rest of the 3.5 hour ride being great.
Back to work later this week. That's the last ride for 2 months . Hopefully there is some mud left to play in when I get back.

I'll be watching for any trip reports or plans and look forward to meeting more of you in the future.
marty_leash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #5898
FLICKIT
Studly Adventurer
 
FLICKIT's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Down-under Down-under
Oddometer: 805
as long as you had fun, it's all good but where are the photos

There's no shortage of mud on Jefferys track at the moment!, seems they've filled in a few of the big holes which will make life easier for the big bikes

A few mins along White Timber trail and Jefferys Track

The water level on White Timber was a lot lower than last year, but that may have changed with the rain we've had the last few days

Edit: a couple of pics from around Mt Lloyd:







http://ridewithgps.com/trips/1503555

:)

FLICKIT screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 07:34 PM
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:35 AM   #5899
Brods1675
Giant
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Tasmania. Amazing roads. Adventure bike heaven.
Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLICKIT View Post
as long as you had fun, it's all good but where are the photos

There's no shortage of mud on Jefferys track at the moment!, seems they've filled in a few of the big holes which will make life easier for the big bikes

A few mins along White Timber trail and Jefferys Track

The water level on White Timber was a lot lower than last year, but that may have changed with the rain we've had the last few days

Edit: a couple of pics from around Mt Lloyd:







http://ridewithgps.com/trips/1503555

:)
I saw you out there that day. I was on the KLX400, in company with a CRF and a handful of quads. We'd ridden over from Judbury.
__________________
2010 R1200GSA
2014 WR450FE

https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/4158796
Brods1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:53 AM   #5900
ktmgeoff
Remember it's not a race!
 
ktmgeoff's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Norf East Tasmania,Australia
Oddometer: 1,406
Jeffrey's track needs a dusting of snow to make taking the 950 through it worthwhile...again..for the third time... or maybe I should come up from the Judbury end, I seem to remember a couple of rocks on the track going downhill.
__________________
whatever
ktmgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #5901
FLICKIT
Studly Adventurer
 
FLICKIT's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Down-under Down-under
Oddometer: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brods1675 View Post
I saw you out there that day. I was on the KLX400, in company with a CRF and a handful of quads. We'd ridden over from Judbury.
Good stuff, I had just dropped down out of some single track and I was trying to work out where to go next ... hope you guys didn't laugh too hard over the lone crazy out there razzing around on a 20yo farm bike I was almost going to stop but figured you'd carry on cruising...

Did any of you guys lose some shackles, side stand spring, or a gear lever? I came home with a few bits and pieces from along there



30sec vid passing your group:


Small world
(loving the go anywhere ability of a smaller bike, think I have WRR envy)

FLICKIT screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 10:21 AM
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #5902
FLICKIT
Studly Adventurer
 
FLICKIT's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Down-under Down-under
Oddometer: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmgeoff View Post
Jeffrey's track needs a dusting of snow to make taking the 950 through it worthwhile...again..for the third time... or maybe I should come up from the Judbury end, I seem to remember a couple of rocks on the track going downhill.
I'm not a fan of Jefferys on a big bike, it takes longer to clean that thick clingy mud out of the the nooks and crannies than it takes to get through there...

I need to head over the Crabtree side on the little bike though... check out Stony Point Trail, I've been putting it off because it doesn't appear to be Tenere country

Might as well chuck these in here also:

A 5 min(fairly boring) vid, from odd tracks at the southern end of Mt Lloyd:

(it's not a drop if your hands don't come off the grips right?)

Some Mt Styx snow from the week before:


Bushbashing along the Styx powerlines:

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/1479596


FLICKIT screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 09:20 AM
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #5903
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!
 
theMISSIONARY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Devonport Tazmania
Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLICKIT View Post
(loving the go anywhere ability of a smaller bike, think I have WRR envy)
but thats my big bike
__________________
Happiness is a warm barrel....i don't care if its the bikes barrel or the rifles barrel!

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #5904
FLICKIT
Studly Adventurer
 
FLICKIT's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Down-under Down-under
Oddometer: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post
but thats my big bike
Have to admit I thought they were just another WRF/CRF type enduro bike that you have to spend as much time maintaining as riding.. But after looking into them I can see where the "Awesomeness" comes from... fuel injected 6 speed with 10,000km oil changes, and 42,000km valve checks that deserve to be on my shortlist...

Did you have to do much to the suspension to get maximum awesomeness out of it?

Love the Tenere, it's great for carrying a load and bashing around the forests, but it's really not suited to half the places I take it, it's overkill for Tassie, and I HATE having to back out of a challenge due to it's size and weight... I'll knock over a decent mainland trip in the next year or so and then look at downsizing...

Not sure I mentioned before, I had an attempt at the eastern peak of Mount Cleveland when I was up there in April, it ended in failure I was cursing you and your WRR of awesomeness
(Your Cleveland writeup>> http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839059 )

If I dropped the 60kg of gear I was carrying I probably could have gone further, all the large loose rock further up the hill looked daunting though... but, as with Climies, common sense prevailed, it's not a sensible place for a bike that size, I ran away with my tail between my legs back on the bucket list it went and I settled for another visit to the western peak

Around 6 to 7 mins in this video is my attempt up there: (nothing exciting or dramatic)

(pitty the camera doesn't show how steep all that is)

Oh well, next time Mt Cleveland deserves a yearly visit anyway!
FLICKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:15 AM   #5905
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!
 
theMISSIONARY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Devonport Tazmania
Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLICKIT View Post
Have to admit I thought they were just another WRF/CRF type enduro bike that you have to spend as much time maintaining as riding.. But after looking into them I can see where the "Awesomeness" comes from... fuel injected 6 speed with 10,000km oil changes, and 42,000km valve checks that deserve to be on my shortlist...

Did you have to do much to the suspension to get maximum awesomeness out of it?
nothing dont to the suspension it is on the soft side but its not that bad that i cant handle it.......its more money and time and at the moment its my only transport

i change the oil and filter every 4500km as thats what i have been use to doing with all the 600+ size bikes i have had
the valves have only been checked once in 37000km

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLICKIT View Post
Love the Tenere, it's great for carrying a load and bashing around the forests, but it's really not suited to half the places I take it, it's overkill for Tassie, and I HATE having to back out of a challenge due to it's size and weight... I'll knock over a decent mainland trip in the next year or so and then look at downsizing...

Not sure I mentioned before, I had an attempt at the eastern peak of Mount Cleveland when I was up there in April, it ended in failure I was cursing you and your WRR of awesomeness
(Your Cleveland writeup>> http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839059 )

If I dropped the 60kg of gear I was carrying I probably could have gone further, all the large loose rock further up the hill looked daunting though... but, as with Climies, common sense prevailed, it's not a sensible place for a bike that size, I ran away with my tail between my legs back on the bucket list it went and I settled for another visit to the western peak

Around 6 to 7 mins in this video is my attempt up there: (nothing exciting or dramatic)

(pitty the camera doesn't show how steep all that is)

Oh well, next time Mt Cleveland deserves a yearly visit anyway!
hmm i might have to go up there again.....as the Toad man has not been there

it is steep but fun........another fun thing is planning a mainland trip....more time more money
__________________
Happiness is a warm barrel....i don't care if its the bikes barrel or the rifles barrel!

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:35 AM   #5906
MonoMark
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Devonport
Oddometer: 70
Tarkine Ride 10/11 Aug

I'm going, anyone is welcome.
I will be 2 up with my youngest son (10yrs).- so theme is exploring, enjoying mud, smelling campire odours etc.
Plan is: Day 1- Rabalga track, Wedge Plains Rd, Tayatea Bridge, (side trip to Luncheon Hill time permitting), Rapid river Bridge, overnight at Riverside Camp (second preference is Julius River camp spot if it is raining to make most of the shelter).
Day 2 - Sumac Rd to Western Explorer, up to back track into Temma, up coast to Marawah, on home.

If, per chance, someone wants to come from East or South Fri night, there is a Steak, Red and Bed reserved for you at our house ready for early start Sat Morn.

Either way, It's on.
MonoMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:55 AM   #5907
MonoMark
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Devonport
Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty_leash View Post
I went for a ride for the afternoon yesterday. I covered 150km on 80% gravel and dirt roads. Not even 20 min into the ride I was caught off guard on some clay and put the bike down hard on the right side. It made me laugh but bent the handle bars at an awkward angle. Who needs straight handle bars anyway right? Didn't stop the rest of the 3.5 hour ride being great.
Back to work later this week. That's the last ride for 2 months . Hopefully there is some mud left to play in when I get back.

I'll be watching for any trip reports or plans and look forward to meeting more of you in the future.
2 Months! Thats a long time to be away from the bike..... er, I mean.... your wife and children.
Take care Marty, hope to catch up when you come home.
MonoMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:53 AM   #5908
Windy Rider
Pussy Power
 
Windy Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Ulverstone, Tasmania
Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoMark View Post
I'm going, anyone is welcome.
I will be 2 up with my youngest son (10yrs).- so theme is exploring, enjoying mud, smelling campire odours etc.
Plan is: Day 1- Rabalga track, Wedge Plains Rd, Tayatea Bridge, (side trip to Luncheon Hill time permitting), Rapid river Bridge, overnight at Riverside Camp (second preference is Julius River camp spot if it is raining to make most of the shelter).
Day 2 - Sumac Rd to Western Explorer, up to back track into Temma, up coast to Marawah, on home.

If, per chance, someone wants to come from East or South Fri night, there is a Steak, Red and Bed reserved for you at our house ready for early start Sat Morn.

Either way, It's on.
Hi Mono,

Sounds like a good trip, actually reverse of the last time I was over there. I would real love to come, but I'll have to be a last minute inclusion if i can come, because of work commitments. Any idea of dates yet?
__________________
2011 Triumph Tiger xc

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #5909
marty_leash
Adventurer
 
marty_leash's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Somerset, Tasmania
Oddometer: 22
Night
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoMark View Post
I'm going, anyone is welcome.
I will be 2 up with my youngest son (10yrs).- so theme is exploring, enjoying mud, smelling campire odours etc.
Plan is: Day 1- Rabalga track, Wedge Plains Rd, Tayatea Bridge, (side trip to Luncheon Hill time permitting), Rapid river Bridge, overnight at Riverside Camp (second preference is Julius River camp spot if it is raining to make most of the shelter).
Day 2 - Sumac Rd to Western Explorer, up to back track into Temma, up coast to Marawah, on home.

If, per chance, someone wants to come from East or South Fri night, there is a Steak, Red and Bed reserved for you at our house ready for early start Sat Morn.

Either way, It's on.
This is much the same ride I wanted to tackle tonight and tomorrow. I've never been to
Temma. I headed down Mawbanna road hoping to 'navigate' my way without any proper maps, only phone and my memory. Needless to say I left it too late in the day (hit Dip falls at about 6pm)

Hope you enjoy it
marty_leash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #5910
marty_leash
Adventurer
 
marty_leash's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Somerset, Tasmania
Oddometer: 22
Mark and Jason. I encourage you to get together. Strictly a man and motorbike date. You will get along like old mates!
marty_leash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014