Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #106
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSaw View Post
Hi Baza,

Not sure what the answer is to this one. We don't offer any sort of incentive to the younger generation but do go out of our way to make sure that they feel welcome. Henning's idea is a good one and although too late in the proceedings for this years event will keep it in mind for next year (and hope Henning doesn't mind the breach of copyright!!!).

Most new purchasers of Ducati nowadays seem well past their "youth" so need to tap another source.

Catchya,
Chris.

Yep, most of us are of the greyheaded set,
worries me that after we depart this mortal coil or whatever happens, [always think of Monty Python skits],
will the tradition be discovered by the youngsters & the cycle of life continue or will we be seen as the dinosaurs on two wheels?
F##k, that's deep even for me, ahh lack of sleep has kicked in!,
Joys of nightshift, just finished a run of 5 nights, now have to re-adjust to splitshifts
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #107
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter650 View Post
Gday Baz & CSaw a woman in a 4b4 blew my knee apart, couldn't walk, work, or ride / work on the bikes . Anyway i will put the violin away now . After the last rally, i have a few plans for the mighty XV . Cheers Peter.

Shit Pete that's no bloody good,
was thinking that I haven't seen or heard from you for quite awhile,
now I know why!, not a happy time, everything coming good now I hope?
Cheers
Baza
Old 07-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #108
peter650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Everything is cool now Baz. I just have to fix/rego a bike. Just asked Les for a leave pass. Turns out Oct25 is her Birthday. Got a feeling this is going to cost me big time . Cheers Peter
peter650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:24 AM   #109
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter650 View Post
Everything is cool now Baz. I just have to fix/rego a bike. Just asked Les for a leave pass. Turns out Oct25 is her Birthday. Got a feeling this is going to cost me big time . Cheers Peter
Be good to catch up with you, give a yell / PM, if you're chasing anything for the bike, might be able to help
Cheers
Baza
Old 07-22-2013, 12:43 AM   #110
CSaw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Cornerman, Matt, are you two lurking around???
CSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:05 AM   #111
Ned 063
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
G,day Al was it you that asked how many Thunder rallies at Nundle? well buggered if I know but I was on the committee for the 11th and last rally held out at the Lake. If you remember it pissed down overnight and only a few of us managed to ride back to the main road. the Rest got rescued by locals from town. I enjoyed the Lake rallies the 705 km ride out was a good start to a debauched weekend. The boys from Timora were always good for some jelly fishing in the weir usually in the early hours of sunday morning. The run from Condo to the Lake was about 100kms and it was always good to try to do it in under half an hour. The first year I went I met a few blokes at Kurrajong Hights pub, 1 sticks in my mind as his name was Kevin Rudd. He was on a brand new Mark 5 Le Mans he had Russ Saunders on the back. He was pretty keen to see how fast it would go I remember seeing 200 on my speedo trying to keep up with them. 851,s were pretty new back then and a young bloke got egged on by some drunk Triumph riders into doing a dirt burn out, all good except for the rocks in the dirt which cut nicely through the side wall popping the tyre, I think he camped in town for a week waiting for a new tyre to turn up. Old mate Harvey from Coffs rode his SS one year and blew it up on the way, managed to ride the last 100k,s on 1 cyl, we gave him longest distance bevel trophy as well as longest single cyl and hard luck. Top bloke and super quick until he lost an arm on the Oxley keeping his 450 Shotgun if front of the belt boys from Coffs.
A book could be written about Thunder Rally exploits, Pete Muir borrowed a 750 Sport and rode non stop from Sydney only to be layed up by the bunch of grapes hanging out of his bum deciding medical treatment was more import than dirinking lucky his sister was a nurse and lived in town. Nundle has seen some fun and games too, I was called into reffing a rather 1 sided boxing match, my last visit I rode my old Sport who decided to catch on fire just out of Scone, sorted that and then made the fatal error stopping at a bottlo and uttering those fateful words no 1 bottle of Beam wont be enough. Got through 1 no worries and was feeling pretty spritely only to experience the evil home brew grappa courtesy of Darien who was sneeking around filling empty glasses. I woke up in the wood pile, we were the last to leave the site on sunday and it took about an hour to ride back down the hill. dont know about these new fangled Ducati,s but Bevel riders have more fun than people.
Ned 063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #112
CSaw
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned 063 View Post
G,day Al was it you that asked how many Thunder rallies at Nundle? well buggered if I know but I was on the committee for the 11th and last rally held out at the Lake. If you remember it pissed down overnight and only a few of us managed to ride back to the main road. the Rest got rescued by locals from town. I enjoyed the Lake rallies the 705 km ride out was a good start to a debauched weekend. The boys from Timora were always good for some jelly fishing in the weir usually in the early hours of sunday morning. The run from Condo to the Lake was about 100kms and it was always good to try to do it in under half an hour. The first year I went I met a few blokes at Kurrajong Hights pub, 1 sticks in my mind as his name was Kevin Rudd. He was on a brand new Mark 5 Le Mans he had Russ Saunders on the back. He was pretty keen to see how fast it would go I remember seeing 200 on my speedo trying to keep up with them. 851,s were pretty new back then and a young bloke got egged on by some drunk Triumph riders into doing a dirt burn out, all good except for the rocks in the dirt which cut nicely through the side wall popping the tyre, I think he camped in town for a week waiting for a new tyre to turn up. Old mate Harvey from Coffs rode his SS one year and blew it up on the way, managed to ride the last 100k,s on 1 cyl, we gave him longest distance bevel trophy as well as longest single cyl and hard luck. Top bloke and super quick until he lost an arm on the Oxley keeping his 450 Shotgun if front of the belt boys from Coffs.
A book could be written about Thunder Rally exploits, Pete Muir borrowed a 750 Sport and rode non stop from Sydney only to be layed up by the bunch of grapes hanging out of his bum deciding medical treatment was more import than dirinking lucky his sister was a nurse and lived in town. Nundle has seen some fun and games too, I was called into reffing a rather 1 sided boxing match, my last visit I rode my old Sport who decided to catch on fire just out of Scone, sorted that and then made the fatal error stopping at a bottlo and uttering those fateful words no 1 bottle of Beam wont be enough. Got through 1 no worries and was feeling pretty spritely only to experience the evil home brew grappa courtesy of Darien who was sneeking around filling empty glasses. I woke up in the wood pile, we were the last to leave the site on sunday and it took about an hour to ride back down the hill. dont know about these new fangled Ducati,s but Bevel riders have more fun than people.
Hi Ned,
Some interesting memories there. Unfortunately Kevin is no longer with us, RIP.
Dare I contradict your memory but... There were 12 rallies at The Lake and all good memories from that era as well. This will be the twentieth rally held at Sheba Dams, strewth Ruth how old are you guys???
I am guessing that your attempts to do half hour from Condo to the lake were not on the unsealed road!!!
Ahh, Darrien, Mr. Pyro Explosives himself. And yes, I do remember the moonshine, the end of a couple of rallyist's night as they were anaesthetised.
Catchya,
Chris.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #113
Ned 063
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Hi Ned,
Some interesting memories there. Unfortunately Kevin is no longer with us, RIP.
Dare I contradict your memory but... There were 12 rallies at The Lake and all good memories from that era as well. This will be the twentieth rally held at Sheba Dams, strewth Ruth how old are you guys???
I am guessing that your attempts to do half hour from Condo to the lake were not on the unsealed road!!!
Ahh, Darrien, Mr. Pyro Explosives himself. And yes, I do remember the moonshine, the end of a couple of rallyist's night as they were anaesthetised.
Catchya,
Chris.
Hi Chris I didnt know about Kev, the last time I saw him he was building a modified Darmah.
That first year we rode out with Kev he had a mate on a Honda CX 650 with a bloody bit ghetto blaster strapped to the pillion seat ,the only cassette he had for the weekend was the soundtrack from Batman so all the way out he had Prince blasting out at 100 db.
I thought it was 11 at the Lake but I have been wrong before, I know we ran the last one, Chris Bell, Christine and me and a young Pantah riding bloke from Hornsby who,s name I have forgotten were the comm, only about 30 people turned up weather was shitty, most of the bikes and riders got carted the 20 km back from the weir to the tar on the back of ute,s we continued the rally back in town at the pub, One bloke on a Sport sat up all night talking to himself and picked stones out of his tyres with a bloody big knife I think the voices in his head told him to pack up and leave before the rain set in, never saw him again. I remember West Wyalong was flooded riding home. We did ride the dirt from Condo 1 year no not in half an hour, I remember one very long straight bit that sucks you into going fairly quick only to find a 90 degree turn at the end, with lots of evidence of the fence being repaired many times. All good fun was it you who reversed your bevel into Uncle Pervy,s, Aka Laurie,s tent and gave him a Conti wake up call? What year was Mal wearing a dress and riding his Suzuki with side car?
Cheers Steve
Ned 063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #114
auntymal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
...The malabout=850G with Ural chair kept me in the game until my legs grew back together. Would have been the last dry one?...possibly..er...92??? Also Kevin Rudd lost his life on his Guzzi along Bylong Way. Funeral at Patterson was sad as....I left early after one light at the pub...feeling desperately shithouse for sure.... recall gave him a complete wiring loom, off my racer, for his Darmah after it burnt etc. Good to see/here from you. Thinking CSaw is correct with 12 at the lake, too. Sun & Corners. m
Old 07-23-2013, 01:09 AM   #115
CSaw
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned 063 View Post
Hi Chris I didnt know about Kev, the last time I saw him he was building a modified Darmah.
That first year we rode out with Kev he had a mate on a Honda CX 650 with a bloody bit ghetto blaster strapped to the pillion seat ,the only cassette he had for the weekend was the soundtrack from Batman so all the way out he had Prince blasting out at 100 db.
I thought it was 11 at the Lake but I have been wrong before, I know we ran the last one, Chris Bell, Christine and me and a young Pantah riding bloke from Hornsby who,s name I have forgotten were the comm, only about 30 people turned up weather was shitty, most of the bikes and riders got carted the 20 km back from the weir to the tar on the back of ute,s we continued the rally back in town at the pub, One bloke on a Sport sat up all night talking to himself and picked stones out of his tyres with a bloody big knife I think the voices in his head told him to pack up and leave before the rain set in, never saw him again. I remember West Wyalong was flooded riding home. We did ride the dirt from Condo 1 year no not in half an hour, I remember one very long straight bit that sucks you into going fairly quick only to find a 90 degree turn at the end, with lots of evidence of the fence being repaired many times. All good fun was it you who reversed your bevel into Uncle Pervy,s, Aka Laurie,s tent and gave him a Conti wake up call? What year was Mal wearing a dress and riding his Suzuki with side car?
Cheers Steve
I missed that last one, working to support my motorcycling habit. Heard all about it though, for months and months and...
The falling attendances at The lake, with that "rescue" from that last rally, was the final nail which finished holding the event out West.

It is unlikely to have been me that backed the contis into someones tent whilst they are resting, then kick start it. What do you mean there are witnesses, well he deserved it your honor.

Chris B is still a regular attendee. Would be nice to see you and Christine revisit your youth.

Catchya.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:13 AM   #116
Doctor
Banned

Oddometer: 7,659
Quote:
It is unlikely to have been me that backed the contis into someones tent whilst they are resting, then kick start it. What do you mean there are witnesses, well he deserved it your honor.

Chris B is still a regular attendee. Would be nice to see you and Christine revisit your youth.

Catchya.
you are scaring this southern gent will we keep up only time will tell
so looking forward to finding out . . .
Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:05 AM   #117
CSaw
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
you are scaring this southern gent will we keep up only time will tell
so looking forward to finding out . . .
Hey Doc, that was decades ago, well mellowed now.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:19 AM   #118
Doctor
Banned

Oddometer: 7,659
Quote:
Hey Doc, that was decades ago, well mellowed now.
like fine wine i think i can still do it , my mind says i can my body does not

as i say though really looking forward to a northern rally
Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:41 AM   #119
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
like fine wine i think i can still do it , my mind says i can my body does not

as i say though really looking forward to a northern rally
You're a lying hound Doctor, it's me & Duckster that plod along, never see you for dust most times
I'm looking forward to my first 'Thunder' run, sure sounds like our sorta rally, kicked back & mellow
Cheers
Baza
Old 07-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #120
auntymal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
...guys 'tis truly excellent that you are all keen. It would be mighty helpful if you could see your way clear to get your entry in now. Here is the link. http://groupspaces.com/thunderrally where you can follow the simple instructions etc. This makes it a hell of a lot easier for the long suffering volunteer support crew in the tent on the day etc. So, help out by passing it on, and get entered up if possible... Ta.