Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #76
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,278

Still stuck in the 80s. If only Yamaha made a trials bike to put that spiffy kill switch on.

Yes, the chain is still the main problem IMO. I saw a kid lose a finger in one while pushing a bike. He reached down to find neutral while trying to push it and when it went in, I guess his hand slipped.

Anyway, I gathered up the finger, put it in ice and took him to the ER.
Doc takes a look at his hand, takes a look at the iced down finger and then steps down on the trash can opening pedal and tosses the finger in the trash!!

The kid kinda freaked out at that!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #77
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
For the record - The rule to require the tethers in our club was voted on and passed by the membership. Theres also a provision to let 1st timers skate as well as support to get them setup with one if they want. $35 installed for a Jitsie version. Does take a little getting used to, but not bad. So no soup nazi effect here. Just riders trying to improve safety at our relatively crowded events. Cheap insurance guys - and hopefully we can keep it that way.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #78
wb22rules
Bourbon Tester

Oddometer: 191
Damn Gordy , I bet he did
Old 07-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #79
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post

Still stuck in the 80s. If only Yamaha made a trials bike to put that spiffy kill switch on.

Yes, the chain is still the main problem IMO. I saw a kid lose a finger in one while pushing a bike. He reached down to find neutral while trying to push it and when it went in, I guess his hand slipped.

Anyway, I gathered up the finger, put it in ice and took him to the ER.
Doc takes a look at his hand, takes a look at the iced down finger and then steps down on the trash can opening pedal and tosses the finger in the trash!!

The kid kinda freaked out at that!
Wow - some story Gordy. Surprise ending too. Must have really sucked to be the kid. I lost the very tip of a finger in a MX crash. Could have been a lot worse - just a very light glancing blow to a wheel. One of those 1st turn pileups where everyone goes down and theres nothing you can do. I was alot luckier than the kid.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #80
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
For the record - The rule to require the tethers in our club was voted on and passed by the membership. Theres also a provision to let 1st timers skate as well as support to get them setup with one if they want. $35 installed for a Jitsie version. Does take a little getting used to, but not bad. So no soup nazi effect here. Just riders trying to improve safety at our relatively crowded events. Cheap insurance guys - and hopefully we can keep it that way.
Well if you have crowded events you're obviously doing something right.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #81
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,244
Tether will be good thing, after we find a source that can make them better than the silly magnet thing we have now.

I still think, that the tether to have, is like the ones we have on Watercraft, and I cannot understand why we cannot get something like them built. Ill hunt around, maybe I have finally found my "retail" product to make me rich? LOL.

The tether system on a PWC, at least the 2 different brands we own, uses a c-clip like piece on a that to hold a 2 way kill action type kill switch. when connected, but when is pulled off the kill switch, which kills the bike, but leaves it so you have a kill switch even when you are hooked up.

3 Things I like about them, 1 you can still use the button that is being held "open" as a kill switch without unhooking, 2 it takes more force than the magnet ones do to get pulled off, 3 and is less likely to be "brushed off" by your belly or even a branch... which is IDEAL in trials, as I have watched my young "master" buddy unhook the magnet version off, all the damn time by accident especially when he first was using them.

Here is the whole switch, but all we need is the 'stop' button...

Inset is the clip that goes behind the button, yet the inside (red) area still will kill the engine (is a kill switch) without removing the tether.

Now if I just had people in China that could make it. lol.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #82
Gordy
Team Listo

I got to try out my tether kill switch today.
Remember how I said that I have been known to launch the bike?

Right after this pic was shot. It worked beautifully.

The traction snuck up on me.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #83
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,070
So Gordy, is that Lake Fork? I do not remember that set of rocks! Is that up on top by the geothermal stuff? So did the tether save the crash or just slow it down?
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #84
Gordy
Team Listo

No, that's "Yosemete Sam's" new backyard!!

Incredible place.

Re the tether:
I launched the bike. It went about 10 feet in the air and just landed with a nice soft thud. I really think that if the kill switch hadn't killed it when it left me, it would have landed on the rear tire and flipped, but who knows??
Old 09-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #85
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,070
I can`t remember a name for s-__t, but I knew those rocks were wrong!
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote