Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
JJay51 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Switzerland whats the deal

Hi
My wife and i will be leaving for Europe from the UK in two weeks, travelling through France into Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany then dropping into Switzerland.
Are there any do's and dont, must haves etc. for the crossing into and through Switzerland?

This is the Route we're taking over the 3 days in the country so not sure if a vignette will be required :

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msi...257574,6.28418

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msi...d2d7175f&msa=0

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msi...4ae36d02&msa=0

Thanks in advance

Euro 2013
JJay51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJay51 View Post
Are there any do's and dont, must haves etc. for the crossing into and through Switzerland?

This is the Route we're taking over the 3 days in the country so not sure if a vignette will be required
If you enter off a motorway, they will be waiting to welcome you with open arms and a CHF 40 Vignette.

Just enter from a regular road and there are no problems. All routes that require a Vignette have alternates (usually running right beside them) that do not.

You don't want the motorway anyway - save the 40 Francs.

Use it at a great ice cream place in Brunnen just across the street from the ferry docks. There's moto parking there, too
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:53 AM   #3
JJay51 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
If you enter off a motorway, they will be waiting to welcome you with open arms and a CHF 40 Vignette.

Just enter from a regular road and there are no problems. All routes that require a Vignette have alternates (usually running right beside them) that do not.

You don't want the motorway anyway - save the 40 Francs.

Use it at a great ice cream place in Brunnen just across the street from the ferry docks. There's moto parking there, too
Thats a no brainer then, vignette or ice cream

Euro 2013
Old 07-15-2013, 03:49 AM   #4
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,201
Went many times through Switzerland on my way to Italy in he 90s... funny the vignette thing apparently still has not changed! I usually did not buy it, as there are some very nice non-toll roads through the country. But note: it is much, MUCH slower that way, will most likely take all day or a couple of days to do it. And if the weather is bad in the mountains, then small roads arent much fun.

Still I dont get it, why they charge the same amount from someone, who only passes by once a year, and someone, who uses the roads daily (for example Austria, France, or Italy do not do that). In fact Im personally not gonna buy the Swiss vignette again – Ill either stick to the smaller roads, or if in a hurry, then Ill by-pass the country altogether.

edit. North Italy: make sure you have a few days to spend in Lago Maggiore / Lago di Lugano / lago di Como area, it is stunningly beautiful, and great roads are just too many to list here (but a good, detailed map of the area is essential!)
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:24 AM   #5
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,681
I rode in to Basel last month on the E35, ready to purchase my vignette and just got waved through. I do have a 2010 vignette on the bike but can't imagine that was a mistake as it's a different colour. Either way, nobody wanted to take my money so I just rolled on through.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:41 AM   #6
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJay51 View Post
Hi
My wife and i will be leaving for Europe from the UK in two weeks, travelling through France into Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany then dropping into Switzerland.

This is the Route we're taking over the 3 days in the country so not sure if a vignette will be required :

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msi...257574,6.28418

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msi...d2d7175f&msa=0

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msi...4ae36d02&msa=0

Thanks in advance
For your first route in Germany to Switzerland, you might take a look at the highway 500, which roughly parallels your route. It's probably faster but doesn't give up any quality riding. Just saying.

As far as the vignette, 40 francs doesn't get you much anyway, so for peace of mind, buy it. If you stop along an autoroute for fuel or eats, the traffic cops might spot you and then it'll be expensive and inconvenient. But that's just me, couldn't win the lottery if I bought every ticket. I was there two weeks ago and like the last few entries, the vignettes were bought from petrol stations and convenience shops, not from customs. Yes, there are alternate roads to the autoroutes but it will cost you plenty in time. Entering Switzerland is easy, usually just a wave from the border types, but carry the bikes' papers and your passports.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:08 AM   #7
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

My Italian friends have stories of BIG fines, if you're busted on toll road in CH without the vignette. Also said they now have automatic cameras to spot those who haven't got it. I would not recommend to try that..
Old 07-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Also said they now have automatic cameras to spot those who haven't got it. I would not recommend to try that..
Interesting - I've rented a couple of times from a Swiss BMW place, and they put the Vignette on the underside of the saddle.

Pretty nifty camera to spot that.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Interesting - I've rented a couple of times from a Swiss BMW place, and they put the Vignette on the underside of the saddle.

Pretty nifty camera to spot that.
Interesting - autobahnen.ch website has clear instructions to put it on the windscreen (in a car - I found no mention of a bike, though):

http://www.autobahnen.ch/index.php?lg=001&page=014

"Vignette surveillance
In case of an inapprorate set up or missing vignette, you wil be fined with an amopunt of 200 Swiss francs. In addition, a valid vignette must be bought immediately. Please be reminded that the police enforces the vignette on a regula basis.

Inappropriate set up = Invalid!
Wrong! This car driver will be ticketed by the police. The vignette must be sticked on the windshield. "
Old 07-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
JJay51 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
For your first route in Germany to Switzerland, you might take a look at the highway 500, which roughly parallels your route. It's probably faster but doesn't give up any quality riding. Just saying.

As far as the vignette, 40 francs doesn't get you much anyway, so for peace of mind, buy it. If you stop along an autoroute for fuel or eats, the traffic cops might spot you and then it'll be expensive and inconvenient. But that's just me, couldn't win the lottery if I bought every ticket. I was there two weeks ago and like the last few entries, the vignettes were bought from petrol stations and convenience shops, not from customs. Yes, there are alternate roads to the autoroutes but it will cost you plenty in time. Entering Switzerland is easy, usually just a wave from the border types, but carry the bikes' papers and your passports.

Excellent info thanks :)

Euro 2013
Old 07-18-2013, 06:13 AM   #11
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,198
You don't need a vignette for those great mountain passes they have
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #12
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
North Italy: make sure you have a few days to spend in Lago Maggiore / Lago di Lugano / lago di Como area, it is stunningly beautiful, and great roads are just too many to list here (but a good, detailed map of the area is essential!)[/LEFT]
+1

The Alps in general are amazing. I went through them by tour bus once, and spent the whole time with my nose pressed against the window watching bikes go by. I vowed that the next time I went, I would be on the other side of that glass.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #13
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I went through them by tour bus...

You poor thing...

I don't think that I could have stood it.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #14
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,620
Quote:

You poor thing...

I don't think that I could have stood it.
I made up for it by making very good use of my designated driver.

European beer is good.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote