Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #31
revrandy
The Riding Rev.

Oddometer: 246
When I was in the process of moving, my partner and I switched vehicles. I took his jeep and he took my Weestrom. One morning just as I am getting out of the shower, the phone rings. It is the police department where he was, letting me know he was on his way to the hospital and could I arrange to pick up the bike, now lying on the side of the road. As I was 1,000 miles away, that was not possible.

A long day of driving his Jeep to his location, I find out he washed out the rear end in the rain when he locked up the brakes trying to stop for a red light. Considering he had years of experience, most of it on an SS, I was surprised at the crash, but it happens.

Bike wasn't a write-off but damage was pretty good. Insurance fixed it up good. He hasn't ridden since, the memories of surgery etc. still linger in his mind years later.
revrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #32
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
When I was 12 my dad had a work friend of his and family up to our cabin. They had a son about my age who brought a Honda 50CC minibike. (I was insanely jealous because my parents were the typical anti-motorcycle parents so I'd never get to own something like that in a million years.)

Anyhow, he took me for some rides up and down our dirt driveway and down the road a ways. Then he asked me if I wanted to try it. Fuck yeah!

I then road it up and down the driveway with him on the back so he could be sure that I had a clue. I did flawlessly.

Then came the moment of truth, riding it solo. Everyone was standing right there, all four parents and the other kid. Boy, did I fuck up. It had an "automatic" transmission of some sort so it was twist-n-go. Anyhow, when it started moving I tried braking. Unfortunately, I was used to the brakes on my bicycle and rolling my right hand back when I braked so the harder I tried to brake the more throttle I gave it. The throttle had more oomph than the brakes so the harder I tried to brake, the faster I went. About 15 feet in front of me there was about a two and a half foot gap between a station wagon and a tool shed. Somehow, scared shitless, I shot that gap and then went flying off into the bushes where I face planted. Luckily I didn't hurt the other kid's minibike.

Needless to say, that was the end of my first moto experience.

(I'm sure glad YouTube wasn't around back then.)

duck screwed with this post 07-21-2013 at 09:26 PM
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #33
echo15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
1976 I let a possible purchaser test ride my '64 BSA Lightning. He didn't just wreck it; He ended up riding it into a (fairly deep) pond. Muddy water got sucked into the intake... it damn near completely ruined that bike's engine.

Anyway, I'm a bit wiser today. I will let my son ride my bikes cause I know he can (I would let my daughter as well, but since she's 5'0" she would probably lose it at a stop, she's out).
Old 07-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #34
Scratch33
Fugawi?

Oddometer: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo15 View Post
1976 I let a possible purchaser test ride my '64 BSA Lightning. He didn't just wreck it; He ended up riding it into a (fairly deep) pond. Muddy water got sucked into the intake... it damn near completely ruined that bike's engine.
Your name isn't Bronson by any chance?
Old 07-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #35
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
My buddy bought a bike in my state and stored it with me until I could bring it out to him (weather). Anyways I left work to run home right before turning and burning to his place 4 hours away. I am 15 min from home on the freeway when A car merges into my lane and I brake hard and the front tire locks.

Bike was scratched and the bars were fubar... The next day I rode it out to him and threw new bars on it. He let me off easy and I paid for the bars.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #36
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,093
Now to depress this thread.
One of my best friends in high school had a cbr600..

Well he thought he got his gf pregnant, needed money, sold the bike to me fairly cheap with the deal he could still ride it some, and if his finances got back, he'd buy it back...
I rode it a few times, had it for about 2 months. Saw him at a friends house, I didn't realize he was in a bad mood (girl yelled at him and told him wasn't even his kid, she was still pregnant) he apparently downed a bunch of shots of vodka, saw me, asked to take the bike for a spin.....

Some friends saw me asked if I'd seen Mike, told them he took my bike for a spin... we hopped in a truck and went hauling ass to try and find him hoping he wouldn't get pulled over, in a wreck etc.

Troopers were already on the scene, and a state trooper had already almost gotten to my parents house to tell my folks I was dead. He hit the back of a empty logging trailer on the side of the road upwards of 100 the police guessed. His head/helmet cleared the back of the trailer, not the rest of him or the bike. I didn't touch another bike for about 8 years.

Now for the other side, I was on a buddy of mine from college that had spare bikes, (sponsored racer, had several older bikes laying around) so we "plated" a cbr600 for me.. Which meant we put a plate from something else on it, cut a hole in the race fairings and hooked up a cheap light from walmart, and a cheap tail light. two sided tape for some "turn signals" (just some yellow lens covers so it would look like it had signals. there were no lamps behind them) we rode together a bunch no issues. then we were riding at a "spirited pace" down some country roads, I hit a deer going that "spirited pace" somehow I flew through the air holding the deer, and didn't die. the bike plowed into a bank ~3'-4' tall and disintegrated. both rims shattered, etc etc. the engine split apart, total disintegration. I managed to come out "ok" for the speed, cracked sternum, tons of ribs, both collar bones, a bit dumber etc... then walked most of the way back till he noticed i wasn't catching up and came back towards his dorm. (I was out of school, he was still in college. )

I offered to pay him for the bike, he told me to not worry about it...
Old 07-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #37
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post
Now to depress this thread.
One of my best friends in high school had a cbr600..

Well he thought he got his gf pregnant, needed money, sold the bike to me fairly cheap with the deal he could still ride it some, and if his finances got back, he'd buy it back...
I rode it a few times, had it for about 2 months. Saw him at a friends house, I didn't realize he was in a bad mood (girl yelled at him and told him wasn't even his kid, she was still pregnant) he apparently downed a bunch of shots of vodka, saw me, asked to take the bike for a spin.....

Some friends saw me asked if I'd seen Mike, told them he took my bike for a spin... we hopped in a truck and went hauling ass to try and find him hoping he wouldn't get pulled over, in a wreck etc.

Troopers were already on the scene, and a state trooper had already almost gotten to my parents house to tell my folks I was dead. He hit the back of a empty logging trailer on the side of the road upwards of 100 the police guessed. His head/helmet cleared the back of the trailer, not the rest of him or the bike. I didn't touch another bike for about 8 years.

Now for the other side, I was on a buddy of mine from college that had spare bikes, (sponsored racer, had several older bikes laying around) so we "plated" a cbr600 for me.. Which meant we put a plate from something else on it, cut a hole in the race fairings and hooked up a cheap light from walmart, and a cheap tail light. two sided tape for some "turn signals" (just some yellow lens covers so it would look like it had signals. there were no lamps behind them) we rode together a bunch no issues. then we were riding at a "spirited pace" down some country roads, I hit a deer going that "spirited pace" somehow I flew through the air holding the deer, and didn't die. the bike plowed into a bank ~3'-4' tall and disintegrated. both rims shattered, etc etc. the engine split apart, total disintegration. I managed to come out "ok" for the speed, cracked sternum, tons of ribs, both collar bones, a bit dumber etc... then walked most of the way back till he noticed i wasn't catching up and came back towards his dorm. (I was out of school, he was still in college. )

I offered to pay him for the bike, he told me to not worry about it...

damn. damn. some good lessons in this!
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #38
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,003
Just read the whole thread.
It reinforces my basic rule.
I don't loan bikes. I do swap bikes with guys I'm out riding with, but , loan a bike out ? Nope.
I have broken my rule ,once I prepped ,insured and plated 3 bikes of mine and hauled them to Bike Week for a couple of guys I knew and one I didn't to ride around Daytona for the week. That experiment went O.K. but, the stress kept me in the bars til closing night after night. Yep. that's it,the stress.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #39
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
I let a friend ride my pristine condition Honda Reflex when we were 15. He started hauling ass around like it was a motocross bike, target fixated on a large rock pile, grabbed a whole bunch of front brake and no rear and promptly endo'ed it directly into thus said pile of jagged lava rocks. Forks were bent, bars were bent, instrument cluster was shattered, the fuel tank had a huge dent in it, and the fender was broken He was a little scraped up too, but ok.

It wouldn't have bothered me much except I had only had the bike a couple weeks, and he never even offered to pay to repair it, in fact he refused, said there was something wrong with the brakes What, like they actually worked?

Anyway, the list of people who I'll let barrow my bike now is one name long. We have an agreement if he wants to take a n00b dual sporting, HE can ride MY bike, and the n00b can ride HIS. It works the same way if I want to use one of his bikes to take a guest riding.

He has more bikes then me, and he says I can ride anyone of them anytime I want, but I use this privilege vary sparingly, not wanting to be the jerk that totals a bike that's not mine.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "

FloorPoor screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 09:21 PM Reason: remembered we were 15
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #40
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,313
My worst wasn't a huge loss. My brother and I built a dirt bike from a pile of spare parts: 250 frame, with a 175 2-stroke motor chicken wired on, and a gas tank off a 70cc kids bike. We had some fun in the back field, as long as we kept the chicken wire twisted tight. We let this townie guy ride it, who said he had experience riding dirt bikes. Well, he didn't know how to shift, and took the bike for a 2 mile ride in first gear. After about 5 minutes, it welded itself together, and all the parts went back into the pile. Easy come, easy go.

Two of my good friends had a worse experience. One guy let the other ride his pristine Yamaha Seca II, and he low sided it on Highway 9. The friend stepped up and bought the bike for what is was worth before the damage. He fixed it up and rode it for years. The money that he paid went toward buying a CBR600F1, so the first friend was quite happy about the whole thing.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #41
J_White
should be working

Oddometer: 321
Have had TERRIBLE luck letting anyone ride a mc, always...
so I don't anymore.

One I can laugh about, let a co-worker try my XT600 once.
He revved the motor to what sounded like 4 or 5,000 rpms,
then dumped the clutch. Spat him off on his back, broke tailight,
then clutch lever when it went over sideways.
I can still remember asking him, "And just WHAT did you THINK was
gonna be the result of that?"
J_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #42
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,221
Borrowed a bike once, years ago.. ATV actually. The annual boys fishing/beer drinking and poker playing trip was coming around and me and my buddy are wishing for an ATV vs taking the long way around in the Jeep. Another friend, older and much more financial esstablished then either of us were back thenkindly offers up his "I never use it, please..take it out for a run and have a good time". Me and my buddy were of the "never borrow things" mind set but wanting to ride in on the trails, drinking beer etc (back in the day this was acceptable), we talked ourselves into it.

Off we go, get a few km into the trail and "cough, sputter stall" the bike is done. Looking at the fuel filter it is gummed up with what looks like mud, turns out it was rust from the rusting fuel tank of the hardly used ATV.
Long story short end up getting towed out of the woods twice, replacing the filter and fuel pump, epoxy coating the rusted fuel tank, paying someone to cut the fuel tank open to remove the epoxy from the screens on the end of the fuel pick ups and eventually getting the bike back to the owner. Both of us were out of pocket some $ for parts and repair and a bottle of whiskey to the guy who drove us out of the woods with his pickup. I think the owner of the ATV feeling badly repaid us once found out the trouble we had.

Lesson learned. Don't borrow things.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #43
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,773
I don't let other people ride my bike and I sure as hell don't ride other peoples' bikes. I just don't want that responsibility.

I don't even like renting cars, but I'll do that occasionally. I simply don't like being responsible for somebody else's stuff.

I even get really nervous driving my wife's car without her in it...which is odd considering we both paid for it and I do ALL the maintenance and upkeep on it...but I would feel so horrible having to tell her that I crashed it...

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #44
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
I don't let other people ride my bike and I sure as hell don't ride other peoples' bikes. I just don't want that responsibility.

I don't even like renting cars, but I'll do that occasionally. I simply don't like being responsible for somebody else's stuff.

I even get really nervous driving my wife's car without her in it...which is odd considering we both paid for it and I do ALL the maintenance and upkeep on it...but I would feel so horrible having to tell her that I crashed it...
Don't feel bad. I sell cars, and plenty of people are nervous about test driving cars that they're interested in.

It kind of hurts me when they say they want to test the acceleration, but then are too nervous to really do so (which I could always sense - so they leave thinking the car or SUV is powerless). These days I tend to do the first drive since I've felt so many potential buyers do a half-hearted acceleration test only to be disappointed when the truth is that they never got the motor into the powerband.

I'll tell them that I don't normally drive crazy, but will acelerate the car on a safe striaght-away to safe speeds just to show them the acceleration (to 50 MPH or so).

---

The other side is the comical old guys who are stepping 'down' from some American V8 luxury car into a modern 6 cylinder. Inevitably, they almost wreck the car when the HP and torque are far more than they expected.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #45
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 621
i don't like riding my wife's scooter for the same reason. i mean, i love RIDING it, but she loves it and i would feel terrible if i somehow botched up and had to "lay 'er down" so i tend to not ask to ride it. also, i mess up her weird mpg calculations and she gets cranky. (NERD!)

i'll do bike test rides IF AND ONLY IF they have insurance such that if i somehow do drop it, i am not required to buy the bike, AND if the dealer is in a location i am very familiar with. this lets me experience different bikes and fuel my fiscally irresponsible fantasies. recently, i've test ridden a triumph street triple r, a triumph daytona 675, and a ducati diavel dark (omg amazing). good times and cheap entertainment!
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote