Cereal Killa

Oddometer: 68
i'm in
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #32
hooligan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
I too am very interested in this thread. The 250cc machines, both the Yamaha's and Honda's seem quite capable, not to mention affordable. What size are you guy's physically, height and weight? The Honda is $2000 less than the Yamaha, why did you choose the Yammie? It's obviously more dirt worthy but both are dirt road worthy?
03 Honda Ruckus (SOLD)
02 KLR650 (ON LOAN)
96 Honda XR650L (SOLD)
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #33
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I too am very interested in this thread. The 250cc machines, both the Yamaha's and Honda's seem quite capable, not to mention affordable. What size are you guy's physically, height and weight? The Honda is $2000 less than the Yamaha, why did you choose the Yammie? It's obviously more dirt worthy but both are dirt road worthy?
To me the WR is a no brainer. The Honda is not nearly as good as the WR in any category. It's heavier, has unadjustable suspension, and a 1/3 of the power. Even though they are both 250cc, the honda puts out about 18 hp, while the Yamaha is closer to 25-26. It is a huge difference, and if you're going to be packing the bike down as much as these guys I'm sure the 30% power advantage helps tote yourself around a lot better. I have a video of my WR against the Honda if you're interested.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #34
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
I have a video of my WR against the Honda if you're interested.
Not to derail the thread, but I'd be interested in seeing that. These two were on my list. I'm happy with my WR, and I chose it for the reasons you mentioned. Just curious is all.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #35
Sidehil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Yamaha is pretty bullit proof. Three new sleds and 3 new bikes over the years, they just make stuff that runs. Badass boat motors too. My stock snow machine is an apex and people slap turbos on them, then watch out. I was gonna buy the Honda but I don't think I could have pulled this off. I'm kind off brand specific after my pops wheeled his (68) 175 enduro with me holding on for dear life as a child.
Sidehil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #36
Sidehil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Cool2

5.10 tall 185 slim. Lots of hair but its turning pretty gray
Sidehil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #37
St_rydr
Strider

Oddometer: 5,523
IN!

Try Smug Mug!
St_rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #38
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
in as well

These WRs are lots of fun. Prepping mine now for a great september ride. Great choice of destination, and great pics thus far.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #39
TarmacSurfer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
As a fellow 250 rider (tarmac)

What size duffle bags are those? Did you insert something at the bottom of the bag so it would keep its shape? (flat)

I can wait for the gear set up update..

TarmacSurfer screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 05:34 PM
TarmacSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #40
biker_gunner
2wheelsonly

Oddometer: 25
IN!!!
biker_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #41
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,148
damn....i've been waiting for this....big ride on small bikes.

ride safe and keep us posted.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #42
Piston
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
I'm in, cause of the great photos
“What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race.”
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #43
ManLee OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Day 2

Day 2 - June 22, 2013
Ardenvoir, WA to Ashcroft, BC
346 Miles

Here's me with my folks. They left for there own Alaska adventure about a week after us. 2 months on the road in a truck and camper. That would be nice but we have to work for a living and only have 3 weeks. Maybe our paths will cross. Yay right, like tha'ts going to happen.

We took the WABDR out of Ardenvoir but hit the highway after Lake Chelan because I had reports there were still some snowed in sections. This is a big turbine at a rest stop from one of the damns along the columbia river.

We were back on the WABDR near Twisp. A couple of shots between the North Cascades Highway and Conconully.

There were miles of the these ponds and marshes up in the high country. I expected to see moose at any minute. We didn't.

Here's some vid dean took of the Ruby Grade. For some reason I didn't get any pics, probably too scared. Its steeper than it looks and if you go over the edge its all over, "cept for the cryin". (Sorry vid no worky, check back later I'm trying to figure it out).

Gas in Conconully. They don't have a bathroom or a garbage can. You have to go to the state park for those things. They just want to sell you stuff. I don't blame them, my wife doesn't like me messing up the bathroom and leaving my trash around either.

We hit the Night Hawk border and were asked the usual questions. When I told him where we were going he looked at my Dunlop 606 and said "You're going to burn the nobbies off that thing. You need better tires."

Once we hit Canada we slabbed it. I really wanted to do the KVR on this trip but we were afraid there just wasn't time. Its close to home so we'll be back someday soon to do it.

Here we are at The community of Spences Bridge on the Thompson River in BC. My aunt and uncle live just up river from here. They have a cattle ranch and we were told if we make it today there would be a ham dinner waiting for us. We better get moving the skies are getting dark up river.

We didn't make it before the skies opened. Thunder and lightning all around. Nice to have a hay shed to pull into.

A couple of pics at the ranch once the rain stopped. Now time for a shower, beers, a ham dinner and another bed to sleep in. Man this Adventure riding is easy.

ManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:45 AM   #44
RACINGTHESUN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidehil View Post
Yamaha is pretty bullit proof. Three new sleds and 3 new bikes over the years, they just make stuff that runs. Badass boat motors too. My stock snow machine is an apex and people slap turbos on them, then watch out. I was gonna buy the Honda but I don't think I could have pulled this off. I'm kind off brand specific after my pops wheeled his (68) 175 enduro with me holding on for dear life as a child.
Right on agree with your assessment of Yamaha. They are my favorite brand for big boy toys.(Sorry, girls play with them also) Loved my Grizzly 700, it was an awesome machine that carried me back 80 miles into the sticks of Alaska camping and gold prospecting. Never found any Gold, spent to much time fishing and 4wheeling. They forget to tell you that prospecting is hard work. Also had yami outboard, 1300 Royal Star Venture, and that is going to be my touting of Yamaha. Did test ride a WR250r, and I am getting one as soon as possible. Love that bike and am impressed with the ease it pulled my fat ass around with. Also, no vibration detected whatsoever while riding. Even in the dirt that I test rode on. Told the dealer, briefly took it on the dirt. His reply, "You son of a bitch" Just seems way better than my 2012 KLR 650 as far as handling and vibration. Wish I hadn't bought that piece of crap. Of all the 9 or 10? motorcycles I have owned, the KLR is by far the worst of the bunch. Didn't mean to hijack your thread.
RACINGTHESUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #45
RACINGTHESUN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Forgot

Loving the RR so far. Thanks for posting. Could you please list how much the campsites cost in Canada that you stopped at? Much appreciated.
RACINGTHESUN is offline   Reply With Quote