Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #1741
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 573
Ok I have had the app for a few days and really like it , Im looking forward to the ability to direct tracks from the app to the site .

CC I have a question that since you know where you are going with this app . Ive been slowly working on mapping out routes across the southern part of Va . I was mapping it out in google earth, but before I carry to much of it over to DSM I was wondering the best way to set it up . Here is why Im bringing it up Its going to be several routes , but they may use the same trails in places .Would it be better to set up different Maps or just do it all on one , In google im using folders to flip between different groups of tracks since Im color coding dirt verses paved riding . I havnt saw folder options in the track setup .Maybe a pic might show what Im doing . This one isnt the best but it should help show what Im working on.

Ive been searching out dirt roads then linking them together with back roads , I hoping to have routes from the coast to the mountains with side routes to larger cities thats large percentage dirt linking DS guys from where most live and where most want to be . I just dont want to start on project the wrong way in DSM and have to spend alot of time correcting later .

Clear as mud ?
Thanks
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #1742
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,173
This is how I organize the tracks in my neck of the woods.

craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #1743
Joker_-_
2002 BMW R1150GSA

Oddometer: 70
New to the app

Hi,

I wanted to say thank you to the developper as I'm really please with what I tryed so far. He replyed to my questions within the hour (YMMV!), and it turns out the feature I was looking for was already built in!

I'm looking forward to buy the remote control. Imma search around to find out if it's released yet.

So thanks again for the great app!

Roads
? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Joker_-_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #1744
Joker_-_
2002 BMW R1150GSA

GPX Management

Hi,

I'd like to know if there is an easy way of uploading GPX files of rides directly from the android app to the website without having to download them to a computer first.

It would be a nice and appreciated addition if not!

Also, is there a way of starting/stopping the writing of a gpx file. I would like to go to someplace, start the gpx writing for the map I want to generate, and the stop it once it's done. It would make edition easyer for later use. Also, I often have to go back and forth on a same way to catch up with others, having a button to stop the recording would help a lot in theses cases too.

Thanks again!

Roads
Old 07-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #1745
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

At present, there is no method to upload a GPX file from the app to the website. It would be technically easy to do. The reason I chose not to do so up until now is that I wanted users to be at their computer when they uploaded maps so they would be able to edit them when they were uploaded. I don't really want to set all maps as private by default (which I would want to do if they were on the site and unedited) but I also REALLY do not want people uploading unedited tracks to the website because they lower the overall quality of the content on the site. I hope you see it is a balancing act in terms of ease of upload and quality of maps. I leaned toward quality because the tracks will remain on the website forever while the inconvenience of having to be at your PC when you upload is transitory.

Editing tracks is so easy that I saw no point in complicating the app putting begin/end recording track button on the screen (you can dig into the settings to turn it on and off though). This would again be an easy thing to do technically, but the user interface is difficult to keep uncluttered when you allow users to do everything they can think of.

I really appreciate your enthusiasm and the ideas! Please feel free to keep them coming even if I don't always accept the suggestions. I've thought of lots of these things already and made decisions, right or wrong. I am always willing to reevaluate my thinking and I am also excited to consider new ideas. You may not know, but the idea of map overlays was a user's idea. It is one of the coolest features of the app, but not one I had considered adding until it was suggested on this forum.

The remote remains un-commercialized. I've built a few for myself and others, but they are too expensive for the value they bring. Until I get the price down to <=$100 I don't plan to sell them. They cost >$200 now which is crazy. I just heard from a buddy who got a very early model and it has been sitting on his GS outside in the weather for over a year and is still rock solid. I was pretty excited to hear that but it doesn't make them cheap enough to feel comfortable to offer them for sale. I would feel like an ass selling it at the price I'd have to in order to make it worth my effort. I do have an idea to get the cost way down and once the I get Motobrain out the door I may circle back to the remote and see if I can get the cost down to $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_-_ View Post
Hi,

I'd like to know if there is an easy way of uploading GPX files of rides directly from the android app to the website without having to download them to a computer first.

It would be a nice and appreciated addition if not!

Also, is there a way of starting/stopping the writing of a gpx file. I would like to go to someplace, start the gpx writing for the map I want to generate, and the stop it once it's done. It would make edition easyer for later use. Also, I often have to go back and forth on a same way to catch up with others, having a button to stop the recording would help a lot in theses cases too.

Thanks again!
Old 07-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #1746
Joker_-_
2002 BMW R1150GSA

Throwing ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
At present, there is no method to upload a GPX file from the app to the website. It would be technically easy to do. The reason I chose not to do so up until now is that I wanted users to be at their computer when they uploaded maps so they would be able to edit them when they were uploaded.
I'm just throwing ideas in the wild here:

1 - What about an "upload tracks" option in the menu under Maps --> GPX Files (where you could select multiple gpx files to be uploaded to your account on the website). Theses would be saved in a "temporary" (and marked private as described in part 2) directory/section under "my maps" or wherever you see fit. One could pick a track, and edit it from there. If you don't touch the uploaded track in the following, say, 48 hours, the file is deleted from this temporary space. To edit them, you are required to "import" them, as if they where on your computer (same form so no major changes there).

2 - Add a boolean parameter to the upload's form's service (server-side) to default android uploaded gpx files as private files.

Later on, there might even be a way to add pictures of the trip you just recorded straight on the gpx file trough geotagging, and captions.

The goal would be to have not to plug the phone to a computer. Thursday, I'm going to test this ride (http://dualsportmaps.com/?link=111009) I made with the tools on the website. I'm going to do it very slow, take notes and pictures to add some more informations to the tracks. It's a very nice ride for locals, and I want to make it nice and clear for inmate tourists here. Do you think I should add many alternate tracks in the same map, or create more maps?

By the way, I use your app on a tablet (nexus 7) and it works like a charm. My only concern is that I added an overlay of a waterpark and it seems quite cpu hungry! Maybe I did something wrong...

Roads

Joker_-_ screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 10:45 PM Reason: Added more information
Old 07-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #1747
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Restoring listing of my Maps under Main Search Button?

Can't get vector maps to load no matter what I do, so I thought I would try deleting some recently added large maps to see if that would help cuz Astro file manager wouldn't even read the SD card anymore, it just spins at Reading screen.

I fat fingered the Delete All Maps button while aiming for the Delete Selected Maps button. All of my Tiles appear to be intact on card, so is there a way to restore the listing of my maps? I've always wondered if there is an additional confirm step prior to wiping out the entire listing with an errant button push, now I know!

thanks for the help
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #1748
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

The vector maps work fine. If you've ever installed OSMAnd though you need to delete all it's maps because the two systems are incompatible. The best thing to do there is to delete the osmand folder after making a backup of your cached tiles and then uninstall OSMAnd, then start Dual Sport Maps, then move the tiles back into the osmand that DSM just created.

The tracks from the website (sometimes referred to as a "map") are completely unrelated to the vector basemaps though so don't conflate the two.

To restore your tracks from the website ("maps") you just need to download them again. You can download all your maps with one click from the Search screen, menu=>download my maps. The other ones need to be downloaded from the map screen using the search button which will search for "maps" (tracks form the website) that are on the area of the world currently showing on the map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
Can't get vector maps to load no matter what I do, so I thought I would try deleting some recently added large maps to see if that would help cuz Astro file manager wouldn't even read the SD card anymore, it just spins at Reading screen.

I fat fingered the Delete All Maps button while aiming for the Delete Selected Maps button. All of my Tiles appear to be intact on card, so is there a way to restore the listing of my maps? I've always wondered if there is an additional confirm step prior to wiping out the entire listing with an errant button push, now I know!

thanks for the help
Old 07-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #1749
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
The vector maps work fine. If you've ever installed OSMAnd though you need to delete all it's maps because the two systems are incompatible. The best thing to do there is to delete the osmand folder after making a backup of your cached tiles and then uninstall OSMAnd, then start Dual Sport Maps, then move the tiles back into the osmand that DSM just created.

The tracks from the website (sometimes referred to as a "map") are completely unrelated to the vector basemaps though so don't conflate the two.

To restore your tracks from the website ("maps") you just need to download them again. You can download all your maps with one click from the Search screen, menu=>download my maps. The other ones need to be downloaded from the map screen using the search button which will search for "maps" (tracks form the website) that are on the area of the world currently showing on the map.
OK, I see the option for downloading my "maps" and it worked fine, thanks. I had filled up my SD card so I thought that was related to the vector base map not loading. (still may be) I appreciate that your instructions are for general consumption, I know what a track is and what the app refers to as a map, tiles, etc. , been using the app for awhile now.

If the method for restoring the listing of all of the "maps" (that are not mine) that I have downloaded the track and related tiles for is to search areas of the globe for them, then I will have to take the step of hiding those (de-selecting them) that populate the search results that I haven't already downloaded tiles for before I "download" them, right? Otherwise I will be waiting for the tiles to download for "maps" that I don't have yet, correct? Editing the search results seems like it could be quite involved, plus I already tried it and got "too many results, zoom out and try again" message several times.

I'm not dealing with a trivial amount, I'm missing the listings for over 30 "maps" still. I guess my contribution to feature requests is a "do you really want to delete your listings of maps" window and no/yes buttons to confirm that action after pressing the Delete All Maps button.

thanks
Old 07-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #1750
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

If the error says Zoom Out and try again it is wrong. You need to ZOOM IN and make the search area smaller. Zooming out will definitely not help as you are searching an area either too dense with tracks or too broad.

Quote:
OK, I see the option for downloading my "maps" and it worked fine, thanks. I had filled up my SD card so I thought that was related to the vector base map not loading. (still may be) I appreciate that your instructions are for general consumption, I know what a track is and what the app refers to as a map, tiles, etc. , been using the app for awhile now.

If the method for restoring the listing of all of the "maps" (that are not mine) that I have downloaded the track and related tiles for is to search areas of the globe for them, then I will have to take the step of hiding those (de-selecting them) that populate the search results that I haven't already downloaded tiles for before I "download" them, right? Otherwise I will be waiting for the tiles to download for "maps" that I don't have yet, correct? Editing the search results seems like it could be quite involved, plus I already tried it and got "too many results, zoom out and try again" message several times.

I'm not dealing with a trivial amount, I'm missing the listings for over 30 "maps" still. I guess my contribution to feature requests is a "do you really want to delete your listings of maps" window and no/yes buttons to confirm that action after pressing the Delete All Maps button.

thanks
Old 07-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #1751
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
If the error says Zoom Out and try again it is wrong. You need to ZOOM IN and make the search area smaller. Zooming out will definitely not help as you are searching an area either too dense with tracks or too broad.
Of course, that was my error in reporting. But was my assumption correct about needing to de-select the search results of maps that I don't want tiles for? I only want my listings back for those "maps" that I already have tiles for. Seems a bit involved to have to zoom in many times all over the 10+ states or so I have downloaded maps/tiles for to get the listings restored, given I still have the related tiles cached. I understand you can't tease a listing of maps out of my cached tiles, but could the app maybe keep a recoverable prior version of the maps listing somewhere? Then I could revert to it for a recovery. I can guess why not based on how the listing is generated. so...

Does it seem worthwhile to protect that Delete All Maps (DAM) button a bit as suggested previously, given it is right next to Hide All Maps, which I use frequently?

And am I the only one that has filled up an SD card and found that Vector Maps Were Not Loaded is the result? Samsung Rugby Smart, been downloading heavily for over a year. Tried the "Reload offline data from SD card" step and the "Reading indices" flashes very briefly, but nothing is being read or loaded. Like normally shows from that step and the initial step upon opening app, where it says loading vector maps.

thanks for the help
Old 07-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #1752
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Your assumption is incorrect. Downloading tracks is not related in anyway to downloading tiles. There are literally 41000 tracks in the database. If you don't zoom to find what you want the app would break trying to download everything. The solution to not losing all your maps is to not delete them. I could, and perhaps should, add a nag screen but I personally find those rather irritating and disrespectful to the user. I put the Delete All button at the bottom of the list and not next to the other Delete button in hopes of making the mistake you made less likely.

I consider the tracks stored on the phone transient myself. The data is on the website which is the permanent resting place of the information. When you need a map it will be there again. Before I go on a trip, I always update all the maps I was going to use anyway in case they've been changed.

Quote:
Of course, that was my error in reporting. But was my assumption correct about needing to de-select the search results of maps that I don't want tiles for? I only want my listings back for those "maps" that I already have tiles for. Seems a bit involved to have to zoom in many times all over the 10+ states or so I have downloaded maps/tiles for to get the listings restored, given I still have the related tiles cached. I understand you can't tease a listing of maps out of my cached tiles, but could the app maybe keep a recoverable prior version of the maps listing somewhere? Then I could revert to it for a recovery. I can guess why not based on how the listing is generated. so...

Does it seem worthwhile to protect that Delete All Maps (DAM) button a bit as suggested previously, given it is right next to Hide All Maps, which I use frequently?

And am I the only one that has filled up an SD card and found that Vector Maps Were Not Loaded is the result? Samsung Rugby Smart, been downloading heavily for over a year. Tried the "Reload offline data from SD card" step and the "Reading indices" flashes very briefly, but nothing is being read or loaded. Like normally shows from that step and the initial step upon opening app, where it says loading vector maps.

thanks for the help
Old 07-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #1753
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Im missing some thing

I can make tracks on web site
I downloaded Zip file but what is the pass word to open it??

were do I put it in my phone to use it?

what is the password to unzip it??

tommu56 screwed with this post 07-26-2013 at 08:29 AM
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #1754
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Your assumption is incorrect. Downloading tracks is not related in anyway to downloading tiles. There are literally 41000 tracks in the database. If you don't zoom to find what you want the app would break trying to download everything. The solution to not losing all your maps is to not delete them. I could, and perhaps should, add a nag screen but I personally find those rather irritating and disrespectful to the user. I put the Delete All button at the bottom of the list and not next to the other Delete button in hopes of making the mistake you made less likely.

I consider the tracks stored on the phone transient myself. The data is on the website which is the permanent resting place of the information. When you need a map it will be there again. Before I go on a trip, I always update all the maps I was going to use anyway in case they've been changed.
Not to be argumentative, trying to be constructive here, your comment "the solution . . . is to not delete them," notwithstanding. The DAM button is right next to the Hide All Maps button, add a man-sized hand in gloves and not utilizing a "nag screen" as you charaterize it is questionable, IMO, given the rare likelihood of ever actually hitting that button, and certainly the rarer likelihood of hitting it and actually wanting a listing of 200+ maps to be gone with a single press. But I could be the exception that thinks a bit of insurance is worthwhile in this case.

As far as simply downloading maps before use, that is far from practical for me as most all of the maps I need have each taken all day to download, sometimes 15 hours or more when the tiles number in the 20K+ range. I often ride in areas in one day that encompass dozens and dozens of tracks, let alone if I go off for a weekend or longer and travel into neighboring states, like NV.

And to be fair, I admit to also planning ahead for the possibility that the website is less the "permanent resting place" you say it is, given the recent issues.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #1755
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

I've said it several times now. The tile caching the the track downloading are completely unrelated. If you cached tiles for a set of tracks, deleting the tracks does NOT do anything to the tiles. If you download the tracks you still have the tiles. Downloading tracks is roughly instantaneous. Therefore, I stand by my original point of view.

Quote:
Not to be argumentative, trying to be constructive here, your comment "the solution . . . is to not delete them," notwithstanding. The DAM button is right next to the Hide All Maps button, add a man-sized hand in gloves and not utilizing a "nag screen" as you charaterize it is questionable, IMO, given the rare likelihood of ever actually hitting that button, and certainly the rarer likelihood of hitting it and actually wanting a listing of 200+ maps to be gone with a single press. But I could be the exception that thinks a bit of insurance is worthwhile in this case.

As far as simply downloading maps before use, that is far from practical for me as most all of the maps I need have each taken all day to download, sometimes 15 hours or more when the tiles number in the 20K+ range. I often ride in areas in one day that encompass dozens and dozens of tracks, let alone if I go off for a weekend or longer and travel into neighboring states, like NV.

And to be fair, I admit to also planning ahead for the possibility that the website is less the "permanent resting place" you say it is, given the recent issues.