Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #61
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
It's about time you put some miles on those bikes
Ha! I've got a long way to go if I ever want to catch up with you. How's the 1150 treating you? Still chugging along?
Hondarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #62
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondarider View Post
Ha! I've got a long way to go if I ever want to catch up with you. How's the 1150 treating you? Still chugging along?
37 states and 41,000 miles. Never gonna sellit!
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #63
Isgro
Free ranging...

Oddometer: 48
Where'd you go? I want more!
Old 07-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #64
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Vacation and no real computer. I can't type on this iPad. Another couple days and I'll be back to civilization. I'm anxious to get back to it as day 3 ends with poor judgement and blatant stupidity.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #65
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,274
Quote:
Vacation and no real computer. I can't type on this iPad. Another couple days and I'll be back to civilization. I'm anxious to get back to it as day 3 ends with poor judgement and blatant stupidity.
At least you got them in the right order. Waiting to hear the story.

1) Poor Judgement

2) blatant Stupidity

3)
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #66
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc LaDue View Post
I must have missed something; who's Jeff Spicoli?
^ That comment made me feel so old!

I usually stick to dirt-oriented ride reports,
but you got me with the laminated packing list/10 pairs of socks...

and kept me with the magnificent word pictures.
Quote:
I'm absolutely sure that at least one baby had been born on that mattress

Thanks for the morning's entertainment, it was awesome.
Enjoy the rest of your vacation.
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #67
Isgro
Free ranging...

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
FINE. I guess I'll have to be patient.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #68
azia
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
This is like reading books 1 and 2 in a 3 book series, getting really hooked, then realizing the author hasn't even written 3. Dammit!

I'm subscribed and not-so-patiently waiting for Day 3!!!!!!!
azia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #69
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

OK...back from vacation and back to business...

Short commercial break...if you're ever in the Lake George area with your family and you're looking for that perfect Adirondack Lodge vibe with lots of food and the nicest staff ever...try Canoe Island Lodge...the place is phenomenal and your kids will love you for bringing them there. The owners, Tom and Karla, give every indication of being genuinely great people and Tom's a bike guy so that helps if you're like me and family fun is a lot like torture. I spent my days hoping Tom would let me fix something or put me to work in the garage changing the oil in a tractor or fixing a golf cart. He's a BMW and Harley guy, but don't get him started on his Vespa scooter...he may seem like a "Rocker", but he might just be a "Mod" at heart...I think he really loves this thing. He let me take the scooter for a spin and I could feel myself succumbing to it's dark power...step-thru chassis, plush seat, clutch-less accelleration, and surprisingly fast 300cc motor...it's like your 10 years old and riding your minibike all over again...but without getting electrocuted every time you try to shut it off with that shitty little metal tab that grounds out the spark plug (some of you know what I'm talking about)...I could feel myself turning to the Dark side...my voice sounding just a little bit more like James Earl Jones...somewhere in the distance I heard the Imperial March...these things are just silly fun...but be careful...there's no known cure once you're hooked...I've seen the hardest 1%er go all Rip Taylor over a canary yellow Vespa with a big-bore kit and a pipe...I swear its true. So I promptly returned it before my transformation could become irreversible. The same thing happens everytime I drive a rental minivan. Anyways, great people, great food, phenomenal surroundings...not enough bike guys to talk to...so please book a room for the 4th week of July next year and bring your bike...we can ditch our families after breakfast and go riding in the Adirondacks every day.

BTW...Adirondack Ural is closed...bummer...I was looking forward to visiting them in Chestertown.

OK...OK...I apologize for the paid commercial endorsement...back to Day 3, Nebraska, and gale force winds. Not much more to tell...it was windy...it sucked...we pressed on. At one point, however, Mike started yelling through the headset...a sudden crosswind had blown his tankbag clear off the tank and it was trailing behind like a kite in a windstorm. The only thing that kept it from being lost completely was the little safety strap tied to the bars. It was flapping in the wind wildly and he was trying to wrestle it into submission at 70mph while also maintaining the 30 degree angle needed to continue in a straight line on the highway. We pulled over and regrouped. I've had that magnetic tankbag for 20 years and I've never had it even move - let alone take flight. The winds were fierce.

The winds eventually subsided as we neared the Colorado border.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #70
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

I tried to prepare Mike for the nothingness that is Eastern Colorado. Most of us east coast folks have this expectation that one you hit the Colorado border you'll be rolling into something akin to Vermont on steroids...lush forests...snow capped peaks that reach into the sky...roaring glacial rivers stocked with ice cold Coors...every house looks like a Tyrolian ski lodge...everybody driving a modified Land Cruiser, a vintage Jeep, or a horse...nothing but outdoor recreation, elk, and folks hanging around the campfire like a beer commercial...I blame that lying prick John Denver. The reality is that you pass a sign that says "Welcome to Colorful Colorado" and all you see is flat nothingness dotted with cattle and fences. No mountains, no rivers, no nothing...just highway and the occassional tumbleweed.

This is how I always imagined Colorado...

Hondarider screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 10:12 AM
Old 07-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #71
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

What you get instead is...

and it's endless! It's like looking at the edge of the world. I can't imagine what ear;ly settlers were thinking when they looked west and saw nothingness on the horizon...just rolling plains and more plains. It makes one feel small in the universe.

Anyhow, we were zipping down I76...headed for Denver...and the heat was stifling. Record highs (and wildfires) were descending upon Colorado and we were riding right into it. The heat came off the highway in blurry waves and were were alone out there...no shade to be found for hundreds of miles...or so it seemed. I felt like a shipwrecked sailor...bobbing up and down in the middle of the Pacific...with no shade or fresh water to be found anywhere. The miles ticked off in slow motion as we made our way west.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #72
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Can anyone see my images? I have all the pics hosted on Photobucket and the links were working fine before, but now I don't see anything.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #73
jdesro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Can anyone see my images? I have all the pics hosted on Photobucket and the links were working fine before, but now I don't see anything.
I can see them.
jdesro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #74
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

OK...rebooted and ready to rock.

Air temperatures hovering around 100...tarmac temperatures considerably higher...and me dressed from head to toe in black...even my helmet. Rookie mistake. The temp gauge on the GS was reading 1 bar higher than normal...still in the middle of the range, but a little warmer than usual nonetheless. I imagine that I was sweating pretty good, but through the magic of high altitude and low humidity, any moisture was evaporating just about as quickly as I could make it. I suspected that we might be dehydrating as we rode - my suspicions would be confirmed later in the evening.

After our less than plush accomodations at the Motel 666 in Adaire the night before, I was looking to step things up for our first night in Colorado. I searched the gPS and found a Hampton Inn in Golden...three soft pillows...icy cold AC...a down comforter...and right at the foothills of the Rockies....PERFECT! Too bad it was still a few hot, dusty hours away...at least we had something to look forward to.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #75
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

With our new destination set programmed into the magic direction box, I noted that we wouldn't get there on our current tank of gas...or at least Mike wouldn't. Being the caring and considerate person I am, I figured we'd stop and let him fill up one more time instead of leaving him to die on the plains. The mountains were in sight now and our spirits were running high. The temps still seemed to be on the rise.

I spied a gas station on the horizon, about 50 miles outside of Denver, and decided to stop. As I approached the exit, I pulled in the clutch and downshifted to 5th...CLUNK!!!

WHat the hell was that? It sounded as if I had forgotten to pull in the clutch before downshifting. My mind raced. Maybe I'm a little more dehydrated than I thought...maybe my left foot and my left hand are out of sync...that doesn't usually happen. I went for 4th and this time I was paying close attention to the bike...the clutch lever went in but the RPMs didn't drop...uh oh! I revved the engine a bit, matched up the RPMs and downshifted again...clunk...not so bad this time.

So the clutch isn't disengaging...bummer...good thing this is a long downhill exit ramp. I pumped the clutch lever vigorously and felt only the slightest engagement right at the bar...not enough to fully disengage the tranny from the motor, but enough to unload it a little bit. I got it down the 2nd gear and rolled through the stop sign at the bottom of the ramp. I proceeded to the gas station and rolled up to the pump with the engine off in 2nd gear. I topped off while playing with the clutch lever and looking for sign of a leak at the slave cylinder. No indications of trouble.

I found a bit of shade behind the gas station and pushed the bike over there to investigate further. This was the last thing I was looking to do late in the afternoon...100 degrees...middle of nowhere. I poked, I prodded, I investigated, but I couldn't find anything amiss. I decided to just let it sit while I found something cool to drink.

Ten minutes later, the lever had just a little bit of resistance and I was hopeful. Ten minutes more and I think it was actually engaging. I couldn't stand around in the heat any longer so it was time to hit the road. I put it in neutral, started the engine, and started rolling down a slight hill torward the road. I gently nudged it into 2nd gear and didn't bother stopping when I hit the road. Accellerating up the on-ramp, I rode it like my old CBR900RR...rev, power shift, rev, power shift...all the way back to 6th gear and 70mph. The clutch wasn't doing much more than lessening the harshness between shifts.

Oh well...I had 50 miles to figure out what to do.