Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #16
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
I ignored it on my '05. I also ignored it on my wethead test ride. I plan on ignoring linkage when my wethead is eventually delivered. I always use the rear brake at low speeds; both brakes for quick stopping.

The "over braking" worry is, IMHO .
Yep, but these guys believe BMW’s marketing department. 30%

Here is what bemiiten had to say about the linked brakes on his 2011 GSA:
Manual for my 2011 says the same. Sort of makes sense being it's impossible to modulate the rear through the lever without affecting the front. And modulating the front screws up the rear when your using the foot brake. I'm assuming even if you 'deactivate' by using the foot brake, The ABS function remains through the lever. I'd love to just shit can the whole system and decide for myself how much braking I want on each wheel, just like I've been doing for 30 years. When it comes to ABS/ linked brakes, I feel like part of the riding experience has been taken from me.

My experience has been, ignoring the linage just improves brake feel and performance. The caveat is, on downhill’s ABS is activated by the rear of the bike becoming a little light. I hate it; I ride with ABS off 99% of the time.

How long did they let you test ride the 2013 for?
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #17
bobbybob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
The habit of JUST using the front ALL the time ONLY is a bad habit.

One of the worse things you can do is use your front brake to come to a stop from a slow speed.

It's okay to 'scrub' some speed from your bike with front brake only, but using it for stopping is not correct, safe or judicious procedure.
Oh really?? Why??

bobbybob screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 07:50 PM
bobbybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #18
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
How long did they let you test ride the 2013 for?
Long enough to decide I wanted one

I had it out for about an hour, maybe a little more. Mountain View to Page Mill to Skyline to 84 to Sand Hill to I280 and back to Mountain View. Might have taken longer to place the order with the options I wanted. I didn't want one of the "standard" packages that bike that BMW is pushing. That means a long wait (ordered end of March, build in May, delivery in ?).
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #19
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
[QUOTE=marchyman;21454237]Long enough to decide I wanted one

I had it out for about an hour, maybe a little more. QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll try to get a ride on one
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #20
Botch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Glad i did a search on "linked brakes"; I was wondering too what percentage brake force was applied to each end (I have an '09) and if any footbrake should be applied in a panic stop (from experience, it probably always will be for me).

I got into the bad habit of using only front brake on my first MC, and the MSF folks tried very hard to break (har!) me of the habit in one weekend. I'm finally learning to use only the rear brake when at parking-lot speeds with Pig; using the hand brake only (even if its linked) unsettles this bike and I'm probably gonna drop Pig soon if I'm not careful.
Botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #21
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Its bad technique but safer for many people.
I must say, I think the linage is crap.
I agree with the above sentiment. I loathe the fact that the linking pushes you to un-learn proper control skills. BMW should offer the GS with no ABS/Linking. You can feel ABS interference in the brake pedal because modulating the front affects the rear. Not the end of the world on simple street riding, but shitty when advanced control is wanted. I have a '11 GSA with all this crap and am holding on to my 06 with normal brakes because it's much better in the dirt. Between the brakes and the softer bottom end of the Hexhead ,I find it much better at technical off road riding. I'll save judgment until I ride one, but everything I've read so far about the WC power delivery means it's going to be significantly worse at crawling through technical, slippery sections, one of the hall marks that made previous GS's so adept offroad.

bemiiten screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 06:32 PM
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote