Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #391
emack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
So, does anyone have experience to report that the tail light as a trigger source for a relay causes difficulty with the CANBUS? As well has anyone used the accessory socket feed as a trigger?
I have my aux fuse block wired through the rear taillight and only occasionally get an error light pop up on my dash (I run both my aux lights and air horn through the fuse block). The tech that did my 600 mile service said that it's completely safe to use that as the trigger as long as the error light doesn't bother you. I really don't care about the error light so I'm keeping it as-is until there's a better solution.
emack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #392
Gary Stofer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
RichBMW, it's always best to use a torque wrench but you can get by without. You'll have a pretty good idea how tight the original bolts were when you disassemble. Make sure you tighten down the front/top bar clamp bolts first.
Gary Stofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #393
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Just received my Wunderlich 40mm up and back bar risers, but in the instructions there are pictures of the tank removed to make the brake lines longer when on full lock. Does anyone have these fitted, and did you have to modify the brake/ clutch lines?
see my earlier post about the adjustable rox risers.
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #394
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by emack View Post
I really don't care about the error light so I'm keeping it as-is until there's a better solution.
Better solution... the 7.5 amp fuse mentioned a few posts above or the headlight feed if you don't mind the extra hassle of routing the trigger wire.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #395
A10 Wart Hog
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Well I'm a newbie to the forum and I just bought a GSW! I'v added a Cymarc Crud Catcher Touring version. I also have on order the Hornig rad grills and Hornig Air Intake Grills. My next major purchase will be a set of crash bars. Just don't which manufacturer yet!
A10 Wart Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #396
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,551
Quote:
Just received my Wunderlich 40mm up and back bar risers, but in the instructions there are pictures of the tank removed to make the brake lines longer when on full lock. Does anyone have these fitted, and did you have to modify the brake/ clutch lines?

I've seen these and am very interested in knowing this before I pull the trigger.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #397
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
That works. It also works if you pay attention to what you are doing. The two screws that go in the beak use the long shoulder because of extra thickness around the attachment point. I wasn't paying attention and used a short shouldered screw on one side. Problem resolved and now, because of the problem, I'll never forget which goes where.

Today I finished up adding the fuzeblock and powering the things controlled by the fuzeblock. I have fog lights...

and the fuzeblock install looks like this:

Note the covered SAE pigtail. That is always hot for things like battery charger, air pump, what-have-you.

The gory details are at http://www.snafu.org/pics/r1200gsw/2013/0718-fuzeblock/
Wow, very nice work! Is the fuzeblock under the pillion seat? Where did you tap into for the relay power? You do good work.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 07-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #398
wabtklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post

I've seen these and am very interested in knowing this before I pull the trigger.
Kurt from Black Dog Cycle Works is working on a 2" bar riser, I have seen some pictures of prototypes but he is still waiting on his production shop...
Old 07-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #399
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahveed View Post
Wow, very nice work! Is the fuzeblock under the pillion seat? Where did you tap into for the relay power? You do good work.
Yes, that space is under the pillion seat. It will be under a pillion rack once someone actually has one for sale that goes on/off the same way the saddle does.

I could have tapped power at one of the fuses, but I prefer my switched farkles to stay off until the bike is started. Tapping into the headlamp does that quite nicely.

The entire wiring saga starts on this page of my web site.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:33 AM   #400
bmwrider1946
Young Old Fart

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
I don't mean to be insulting but a Backrest on an Adventure Bike ? Do you have any idea how dangerous this set up is ? Broken backs a very big possibility in an accident !
I'm not insulted. You make a good point. My wife occasionally likes to take a ride with me and she does not feel comfortable on the back of the bike without some type of support behind her back. I only mount this when she is on the bike and needless to say I am a much more conservative rider with her back there and I never go off road when the two of us are on the bike.

I do think that you might be overstating your case a little since many of the larger touring bikes have built in back rests.
bmwrider1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:33 AM   #401
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by antwerp View Post
So, this weekend I took the LC up to the Ardennes for some twisted riding. Going out of of a small village I rode through a pothole I didn't see, at 40mph.
Result : a dented cast front wheel . Just big enough so it loses about 100gram of air over 24hours.
Have the wheel at the repair shop right now to straighten it out again. Hopefully this works
That's why I got the spoked rims for our **** roads. Perhaps that's why the GS is so popular over here. (and the fact that you can jump over speedbumps).
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:36 AM   #402
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Recent small addition: phone holder at the handlebars. Can also be used as aux GPS.

Sorry for the pic quality, I didn't take a photo yet, I pulled it out of a video.

IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:31 AM   #403
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Quote:
Yes, that space is under the pillion seat. It will be under a pillion rack once someone actually has one for sale that goes on/off the same way the saddle does.

I could have tapped power at one of the fuses, but I prefer my switched farkles to stay off until the bike is started. Tapping into the headlamp does that quite nicely.

Thanks for posting this. I had the P3 lights (and front facing Photon Blasters) on my 1150. I was planning on putting them on this bike too, along with some additional electrical farkles. I'll be using your website as my guide on the right way to do this. Since I have the LED lights, I may be tapping the trigger of the relay into another circuit.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Old 07-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #404
KermitBike
usually lurking

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
... I could have tapped power at one of the fuses, but I prefer my switched farkles to stay off until the bike is started. Tapping into the headlamp does that quite nicely. ...
Thanks for the step-by-step. Looks like a good evening project.

It would sure be nice if the manufacturer would provide an under-seat pigtail for this purpose so that thousands of customers all didn't have to make the same mod.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #405
Hambonee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:

ugh...have had those on order since mid June and Wunderlich said today on back order till Aug still. How the heck did you get a hold of a set?

Have a trip to Bend early Aug that those would be really nice having for.
Hambonee is offline   Reply With Quote