Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #601
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,413
You need to try Endcia if you have enough volume. USPS international shipping a simple and painless right from your nearest mail box. Print the label with the customs form and mail it.

The prices to Mexico and all international destinations have increased a bunch. I would estimate about $7 to $11 in postage if its under 12 ounces. Its First Class International Parcel now. I miss the previous $3 to $5 days of yore for small letter weight packages... My international customers dried up after the postage increase a bunch.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:08 AM   #602
Moto-Kafe
Gnarly Entre-manure

Oddometer: 499
What Sage said above...........International shipping prices (which includes Ca-Nee-Da) is out the roof. I can use a USPS Priority Flat Rate ($5.60) Mailer to ship my ZRX SS Bolt Kits to anywhere in the USA........the same mailer costs $19.95 to Canada. (I've since learned that using a plain yeller Kraft Envelope for shipping the kit to Canada and just using First Class is cheaper).
Moto-Kafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #603
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Not to get off topic too far, but when you set up an electronic mail service like Endicia you get commercial rates. I haven't paid USPS counter rates in many years. When I insure my international packages they seem to not get lost as much also.

I haven't liked the direct cooking in a can so far, seems like too much heat is wasted. The simmer version works perfect with a shallow 8" pan. I like quick meals sometimes like Hormel Chili and the simmer version is great for that. So far, the simmer version gets the most use. I went on a week long trip with both types and cooked daily. I like the option of having them on a motorcycle but, I don't think I'll throw out my canister stove.

When back packing I feel the alcohol stove is the way to go since the weight lowers as you burn fuel and there is no heavy bottles or stove for that matter. These are so light in weight yet still sturdy enough! No parts or o-rings to mess up. These stoves are very light and durable. A very good choice for back packs and any type of bug out bag.

These stoves are a must have IMO, great price, durable unlike a penny stove version, so light they can stay with your bike all the time. They can serve as a back up or a quick way to warm water for drinks. The biggest advantage is the 100% clean burn. No white gas small, no butane smell, no canisters, no pumps, no leaking seal on your canister stove because you didn't check the o-ring.... just pure K.I.S.S. thinking.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #604
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDust&SaddleLthr View Post
  1. Was the stand ever completed and offered for sale? If so, where could I get one?
  2. Any better fuel recommended now or is Heet still best for this application?
Thanks!

Lots of options for fuel. Although HEET (yellow) is one of the best and problably the most available.

http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm

http://thru-hiker.com/articles/fuel_alcohol_choices.php
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:55 PM   #605
PDX Alamo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
I used this stove for a month on my trip to Alaska and loved it. A few times when I was making larger meals I wish I had a third option for longer burn times.
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #606
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,795
want one

Pm sent

Cant find the "buy " button

...edit...
payment sent .
danks

off the grid and deep in the woods

swamp screwed with this post 07-25-2013 at 11:25 AM
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #607
Tengai650
Random Task

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
Lots of options for fuel. Although HEET (yellow) is one of the best and problably the most available.
Right now, Walmart is clearing out their SuperTech (black bottle) version of HEET for 50-cents a bottle!

Also, if you have access to a race shop (for guys who race methanol go-carts, etc) you can get methanol for under $5.00 a gallon.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #608
ShadyRascal OP
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Alamo View Post
A few times when I was making larger meals I wish I had a third option for longer burn times.
I am beginning to fiddle with a new version to do this. Will update when I have time to test and perfect it.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:51 PM   #609
Hallwine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
I just ordered a pair (paypal sent) and I am looking forward to trying them.
Up to now I have used Colman multi fuel or a Sigg Firejet petrol stoves. Both are fine, but high pressure fuel can be...problematical
(Such as drunks making coffee at 2 am with a badly reassembled Sigg->jets of fire)
Old 08-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #610
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Question Wind break / pot stand from a can?

Anybody try using these with a 4" re-fried bean can wind break? Could also double as a pot stand.

I tried and it seemed to be a HOT affair, I like my roof flashing deal better. The can got cherry red pretty quick. Maybe a larger can would work, I tried a 4" cut to the stove height with two rows of cooling holes.

sagedrifter screwed with this post 08-07-2013 at 04:49 PM
Old 08-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #611
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
Anybody try using these with a 4" re-fried bean can wind break? Could also double as a pot stand.

I tried and it seemed to be a HOT affair, I like my roof flashing deal better. The can got cherry red pretty quick. Maybe a larger can would work, I tried a 4" cut to the stove height with two rows of cooling holes.

I think this was tomato paste. Worked good. I liked it better than the roof flashing as there are less sharp edges.

The stove fits inside.

Yankee Dog screwed with this post 08-09-2013 at 09:42 AM
Old 08-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #612
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
I am beginning to fiddle with a new version to do this. Will update when I have time to test and perfect it.

have you considered some sort of castellated structure that will slip over top of the stove. Something that would block some of the holes when you want to simmer and be removeable/adjustable for when you want a full boil.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #613
killendino
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Castellation Mod

I just bought a couple of stoves last week. They are awesome! They burn really hot though, obviously. So, rather than buy a simmer stove, which I will probably do anyway, I came up with a castellated add-on for the full bore stove. It seems to work pretty well, and if nothing else, may serve as the nugget needed for innovation. I have no idea if I'm doing these pics correctly, but here is a go at it:

And (how did you do this?!)

Yup, just a simple automotive/household clamp!

It seems to work pretty well. I dented the crap out of one of my stoves by not being real careful with the vice. It still works, but I wonder if it is contributing to a couple of oddities I have experienced, or if maybe my structure is flawed in some way, or if maybe these are just normal for the stove. First, it seems to take longer for the jets to form; about 1.5 minutes. Then when I set a pot on top, the jets die down, almost to gone, but then "warm" back up again. Last, my son blew on the stove at one point and that caused one of the jets to extingusih. It did not fire back up on its own, but when I applied flame to it, it came back on.

I was not real careful about noting times and such, to simmer, and burn out. Sorry about that. If anyone is interested, I could do such a test or two. Otherwise, these clamps are pretty cheap, and the Dremel cutting wheel makes short work of the castellations.

As a note to the stove-maker, you could maybe consider buying some clamps like this, and drilling through the clamp and the can at the same time, to insure the holes are lined up, then simply bore out the holes on the clamp to make them larger. Just an idea...

I had a lot of fun tinkering in the garage with this! It would be neat if I could lay my hands on some kind of rubber band that could do this too, but I was having trouble locating something to use for that, at Home Depot. Maybe such a material is just not commonly available outside of industrial applications. Obviously it needs to be heat resistant, and stretchy. Well, this metallic clamp works ok. It probably weighs more than the stove, though!
killendino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #614
Oatmeal Bonewell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Hey Shady,

I want to order a couple. Still 9 bucks apiece shipped?

ADVrider relay 2008-IN
Oatmeal Bonewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #615
ShadyRascal OP
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oat Meal View Post
Hey Shady,

I want to order a couple. Still 9 bucks apiece shipped?
Still $9 each shipped not including gratuity.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is online now   Reply With Quote