Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #16
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondoTX View Post
I had a Kaoko. Didn't like it because the lock ring contacted the grip directly. A slight touch of the grip would cause it to unlock and decelerate abruptly.

Bought a Bob's because it has a spacer between the grip and the lock ring. It snugs-up the grip so you can make minor adjustments to the throttle without unlocking.
Your Kaoko should have had a thin black plastic spacer. If it didn't you were sold an incomplete unit.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #17
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 3,050
I bought a Wunderlich for my 05 mainly because it looked cool.
Initially it was awkward to use because it seems as if you have to twist it the opposite direction of what you would logically think to engage and disengage it, after using it for a while it became second nature, the device worked very well and I found that snugging it down until it just held the throttle (vs cranking on it) was the ideal spot as you will find yourself constantly making adjustments and the easier it is to twist the less fatigued your hand will get.

My new GSW has cruise which is marvelous, I would never want to go back to a throttle-lock.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:39 PM   #18
KRAK1369
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
For about 10 dollars, Cramp Buster has worked well for my long rides.
http://www.crampbuster.com/
KRAK1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #19
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAK1369 View Post
For about 10 dollars, Cramp Buster has worked well for my long rides.
http://www.crampbuster.com/
My buddy had an extra and I tried it for 1500 or so miles...never could get used to it. Always felt like a wrinkle under my glove. Plus the heated grips were less effective.
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #20
FargAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
On the GSA I have Bob's, and while it takes some getting used to with it being counterintuitive in how to engage it, it's absolutely smooth in its function. It holds to the throttle perfect, while making minor adjustments on the fly a breeze to do. I've had a long haul home, 1500 miles, and Bob's worked flawless.

I've had the Throttlemeister assembly on my Concours 14, and wasn't quite happy with it. It's either locked in solid, where adjusting the speed/throttle becomes challenging, or too loose where the throttle would self disengage. Worse than that, it also took too many turns to disengage.
FargAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #21
JetSpeed
Naviator

Wink

I thought that cheap ass Concourse riders used some $4 Caterpillar O-ring for a throttle lock.
Cat part# 8M4991

Oh maybe that's just the guys on the older Kawi's.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #22
dirty_t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Saw one by http://www.excelthrottlecontrol.com/ at MOA rally. Looks like it might be a good option.

dirty_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #23
Mud$hooter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Here's a new style of throttle lock

I had the kaoko and was tire of turning it on and off with my pinky, so I made my own. Here's a link to our main website www.atlasthrottlelock.com and here is a link to the kickstarter page we are using to promote it.

Any feedback from you guys would be much appreciated. And for the original poster, this throttle lock will work with your 2012 1200 gs. I have check the sizing myself!

I have a video on the kickstart page explaining how it works. Thanks

Here's a couple shot of the ATLAS throttle lock prototype on my KTM 640 Adv. You don't need this much space between your throttle housing and your grip, we have redesigned the clamp to fit in even smaller gaps.

Here's a link to our vendor page.

-David

2006 KTM 640 ADV - Currently in San Diego

Mud$hooter screwed with this post 10-17-2014 at 12:13 PM
Mud$hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:47 PM   #24
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I thought that cheap ass Concourse riders used some $4 Caterpillar O-ring for a throttle lock.
Cat part# 8M4991

Oh maybe that's just the guys on the older Kawi's.
That is what I now use on my GS!
Old 10-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #25
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud$hooter View Post
I had the kaoko and was tire of turning it on and off with my pinky, so I made my own. Here's a link to our main website www.atlasthrottlelock.com and here is a link to the kickstarter page we are using to promote it.

Any feedback from you guys would be much appreciated. And for the original poster, this throttle lock will work with your 2012 1200 gs. I have check the sizing myself!

I have a video on the kickstart page explaining how it works. Thanks

Here's a couple shot of the ATLAS throttle lock prototype on my KTM 640 Adv. You don't need this much space between your throttle housing and your grip, we have redesigned the clamp to fit in even smaller gaps.

-David
That's a great looking throttle lock, and I would have probably backed you, but $45 US$$ to ship to Canada prevents me from playing. Any alternative?
Old 10-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #26
JetSpeed
Naviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
That is what I now use on my GS!
I used the Cat O-ring on my 1150 and IMHO it was the best way to go, I actually preferred it to the Wunderlich throttle lock I put on my 05 1200.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:23 PM   #27
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I used the Cat O-ring on my 1150 and IMHO it was the best way to go, I actually preferred it to the Wunderlich throttle lock I put on my 05 1200.
Of course, the Wunderlich, and the knock-off Bob's, throttle lock is backwards. Totally stupid design.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #28
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Of course, the Wunderlich, and the knock-off Bob's, throttle lock is backwards. Totally stupid design.
While buying riding gear for my wife at Bob's back in March of 2013, they threw in one of their knock-off's...the reverse threading is completely retarded.

But I paid 20 bucks for it....and I am certainly glad I didn't spend north of $100 for the Kaoko. Throttle locks are great for a little while to ease the wrist on that long slab ride that is inevitable now and then. Otherwise, they are all totally stupid and useless. Your bike will never maintain the speed you want, it's beyond annoying even in light Interstate traffic.

That all being said, while riding parts of the TransCanada highway this summer going to/from Nova Scotia? Wow, glad I had it...2 lanes of slab with a speed limit around 75mph? Yeah, I don't care who you are, the throttle locker was nice.....hours and hours of slab. The next bike WILL have proper cruise control.
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:01 PM   #29
Mud$hooter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiffynimrod View Post
That's a great looking throttle lock, and I would have probably backed you, but $45 US$$ to ship to Canada prevents me from playing. Any alternative?
Here's a link to the ATLAS Throttle Lock vendor page.

Hey squiffynimrod, thanks for asking. Others have probably seen this but have disappeared into the aether without saying anything.

Here's the situation. Kickstarter only gives me one option for Int'l shipping, which is a bummer because that cost will have to cover people from Argentina to Kazakstan.

What this means for our friends across the northern boarder is that shipping is a little steep. But remember, customs can and will charge duty and other import fees. So the $45 is to pay for shipping with tracking and insurance, and custom fees. We have had many Canadians order the ATLAS and pay the $45 because $114 is still cheaper than $135.

The best option is to find an inmate who lives in the US to receive your ATLAS, then they could forward it to you as a "gift" or "used part" to avoid any import fees.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm all ears.

2006 KTM 640 ADV - Currently in San Diego
Mud$hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:24 AM   #30
Absolutediver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Throttlemiester

I installed a Throttlemeister on my bike. It was easy to install and works great. It's not your cheapest option but for two years and several long trips, it's made the long hauls bearable.

Regards,