User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #1
strmboui5 OP
Finish Well!

Oddometer: 1
Thumbs down 2010 BMW (DOHC) R1200GS Engine Vibration

I am writing to you in regards to a problem I am having with my 2010 BMW R1200GS. Have any of you experienced a high-mid frequency vibration isolated to the engine with a loss of power starting at 3700 up to 8000 RPM?

The base line is an engine that has the throttle bodies sync, valves adjusted and reprogrammed engine control unit by the dealer. This bike was very smooth through this revolution range up to the 24K service. Now both hands and feet become numb due to the engine vibration that was not there prior to 24K. This bike did have a recall performed for the camshaft sensor reductor replacement.

The local dealers are stumped and their only answer is keep riding it and perhaps it will get better. I would appreciate any help/advice to get the bike to run as it use to prior to the 24 K service.

Right now I have two options, ride it like it is or sell it!

Thanks
strmboui5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
TBob
Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer: 693
have em check the drive shaft u-joints
Garden of Eden, the Sierra Club would have.
TBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,768
What has the dealer checked? The hexheads have a history of failing ignition coils, don't know if that is carrying over to the Camhead or not. I've seen threads mentioning some Camheads had a issue with the pressed on cam gears getting out of time.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
Ken Hubbell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Have them sync the throttle bodies at 4000 RPM. Mine did the same thing. that helped a lot. I know the vibration you're talking about. People will tell you that they all do that. I hate that! They don't all vibrate that bad. Good luck.
Ken Hubbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:58 AM   #5
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten View Post
What has the dealer checked? The hexheads have a history of failing ignition coils, don't know if that is carrying over to the Camhead or not. I've seen threads mentioning some Camheads had a issue with the pressed on cam gears getting out of time.
Definitely could be a stick coil. It will not show up as a fault, and many techs just do not check them. The coil can partly fail which may make it run smoothly at lower RPMs or when cold, then miss are higher RPMs or hot. It is usually the main stick coils that fail, though it is possible it is one of the secondary coils.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:53 AM   #6
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,558
What fuel are you running? Have experienced the same problem on my 2004 on a couple of occasions, and it dissapeared after a change of supplier/Rom.
2 Months ago in France, these high frequency vibes were enough to make me think the bike was in it's death throes! (1100GS) After the next fuel stop, it disapeared, but the tip of the 4th finger on my right hand is STILL numb!!!
Just a thought.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:53 AM   #7
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Definitely could be a stick coil. It will not show up as a fault, and many techs just do not check them. The coil can partly fail which may make it run smoothly at lower RPMs or when cold, then miss are higher RPMs or hot. It is usually the main stick coils that fail, though it is possible it is one of the secondary coils.

Jim
Hey Jim, my 13GSA acts crazy from time to time, like it is missing out or what would seem like an engine with a massive race cam sputtering and shaking, loping and if you throttle it up it clears out. It will do it again maybe a week or month later. Cold or hot but mostly after it has warmed up. Stick coils on this bike? D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:22 AM   #8
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTEVENS View Post
Hey Jim, my 13GSA acts crazy from time to time, like it is missing out or what would seem like an engine with a massive race cam sputtering and shaking, loping and if you throttle it up it clears out. It will do it again maybe a week or month later. Cold or hot but mostly after it has warmed up. Stick coils on this bike? D.
Yes, you have stick coils on it, and they could be the problem. Could also be a not secure wiring connection to the coils, or the cam sensor might be defective.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
strmboui
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Cool2

Thanks for all of your recommendations as to this vibration problem. I believe that I have eliminated all of the Mechanical possibilities, i.e.. tires, driveshaft u-joint by drive testing, getting up to speed (80 mph) pull in the clutch and immediate loss of vibration. I have also had the cam sensor recall completed back around at the 6-7K mile mark. The dealer did check this again at my last visit when he checked the valves tolerance to ensure valve timing correct (2 weeks ago).

I believe that this problem may lie in the Electrical realm. The BMW Maintenance Computer and the GS911 do not have the capability to find anomalies in the electrical system that are caused by faulty electrical components unless they are non-functional and most BMW dealer technicians do not have the electrical training background to troubleshoot electrical anomalies unless the computer tells them to do so. I know there are exceptions out their, but in Colorado this is the norm and not the exception. So we must find our own answers, i.e.. ADV Rider, MOA and others.

I believe that their is problem in the Stick-coils themselves or the coil wire connectors or even the sparkplugs. I will start with inspection for dirty connectors sparkplug tightness and condition of the plugs. Also examine for carbon burn residue due to arcing. However, I am clueless as to testing a Stick-Coil and to what specifications. A regular coil can be load tested on an old SUN machine but these new stick-coils seem like the old BMW "Plug & Play" technique.

I am open to any other recommendations!

Thanks
RAC
strmboui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
I had my bike serviced at dealer. everything was in spec according to them, but it vibrates too much, and I don't like it so I am going to get Hank to look at it in week or two and see if it is synced or not. I just rode 600+ miles at upper speeds and it vibrates too much in my opinion. I rode my old Valkyrie the other day and I was shocked at how smooth that 6 is. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote