ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
RichBMW OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 1,602
ContiTrailAttack 2 or Michelin Anakee 3 on LC GS?

That is the question!

I have to replace the Tourance NEXT rear tyre very soon, so will change the front as well, as the NEXT is wearing down faster than any bike tyre I've had before. So, which do you guys recommend, and why?
__________________
2014 BMW R1200GS LC TE
2010 BMW HP2 MEGAMOTO
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
kencc
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Cape Cod
Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
That is the question!

I have to replace the Tourance NEXT rear tyre very soon, so will change the front as well, as the NEXT is wearing down faster than any bike tyre I've had before. So, which do you guys recommend, and why?
I have anakee 3 on now. Not sure how they will wear they .stick well in wet and dry. my favorite is the contis which got very good mileage and stuck well. I had Metzelers and was not impressed. so will see how the anakee wear
kencc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
marchyman
Cam Killer
 
marchyman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 6,710
I liked the trail attack on my '05 GS. Haven't tried the trail attack 2. That said the Anakee 3 on my '13 with wire wheels feels very good. Like kencc I haven't a clue as to how they will wear. I also haven't tried them in the wet, yet.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
atwoodtja
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: New England, US
Oddometer: 249
Mine came with the conti trailattack2. They stick very well on pavement and handle pretty good, although the steering is pretty light (probably not the tire's fault). Can't say much encouraging about the wear, 3000 miles so far and the back tire already has a slight flat spot.
atwoodtja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
gunnirider
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: western CO
Oddometer: 34
Conti Attack 2

Ran a set of these recently...the front is still on the bike. loved these things on the blacktop, but had to keep lowering the pressure substantially on the dirt. wasn't that impressed. mileage was good on the rear. almost 8k. the front only has about 6.5k and is showing odd wear patterns and causing wobble in the front end. used Anakee's before, but didn't get much mileage out of the tires. definitely better on the dirt than the Conti's. just put a Dunlop Trailmax on the rear and so far it's been great on the road, in the rain, and on the dirt. have one for the front which is going on next week. i'm way over the wobble from the Conti but hate to see a tire put to rest that still has a lot of tread on it. hope this helped
gunnirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
ausfahrt
mach schnell
 
ausfahrt's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Fl & Vt
Oddometer: 1,667
I love the Conti TA's and it's the only tire that I will leverage onto my Schwein. But I mainly ride on the street with only occasional off road forays so your riding style will probably determine which tire you choose.
__________________
******

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
RichBMW OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
I love the Conti TA's and it's the only tire that I will leverage onto my Schwein. But I mainly ride on the street with only occasional off road forays so your riding style will probably determine which tire you choose.
I mainly ride on road, but want the option to do the odd fire road, or gravel track, without having to worry about tyres. I'm leaning towards the Anakees, but still not sure.
__________________
2014 BMW R1200GS LC TE
2010 BMW HP2 MEGAMOTO
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #8
gunnirider
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: western CO
Oddometer: 34
Anakees

Anakees are better on the dirt...fire roads perfect. somebody else should try the Dunlops...i think these things are great both on and off road and in the rain, but since this is my first set, i have no idea how they wear. hopefully the mileage is decent.
gunnirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
Hennepinboy
Have battery will travel.
 
Hennepinboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Minnetonka Minnesota
Oddometer: 442
Ankee III

I have just returned from Alaska riding a set of Anakee III. The tires impressed me; I now have over 11,000 miles on the tires, and am still not to the wear bars. The front is wearing faster than the rear. The sides on the front are wearing faster than the center, the rear is squaring off.
In Alaska we rode the Dalton, the return trip it rained from Dead Horse to the Brooks Range, the road surface was from riding on oiled ice to riding in wet concrete. The Anakee III traction in mud was better than any other 90/10 tire I have ridden on. The tires did not load up with mud, the thread stay clear. Wet pavement traction is good and dry is excellent, I trust these tires in all conditions.
__________________
The Minnesota Airmarshal
Hennepinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
atwoodtja
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: New England, US
Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
I mainly ride on road, but want the option to do the odd fire road, or gravel track, without having to worry about tyres. I'm leaning towards the Anakees, but still not sure.
Unless you absolutely must ride balls to the wall on your occasional forays down the gravel roads, just about any street tire will do the job unless you hit a mud hole. Once you're in the mud, no street or dualsport tires will work well, so its all good :)
__________________
2013 BMW R1200GS-LC
2008 Suzuki DRZ400
atwoodtja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #11
B00001
Gnarly Adventurer
 
B00001's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Austin, Tx
Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennepinboy View Post
I have just returned from Alaska riding a set of Anakee III. The tires impressed me; I now have over 11,000 miles on the tires, and am still not to the wear bars. The front is wearing faster than the rear. The sides on the front are wearing faster than the center, the rear is squaring off.
In Alaska we rode the Dalton, the return trip it rained from Dead Horse to the Brooks Range, the road surface was from riding on oiled ice to riding in wet concrete. The Anakee III traction in mud was better than any other 90/10 tire I have ridden on. The tires did not load up with mud, the thread stay clear. Wet pavement traction is good and dry is excellent, I trust these tires in all conditions.
Pretty good review. Thanks!
B00001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #12
Willie B
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Oddometer: 236
My '09 came with the Conties and I'm on my second set. They're excellent on the tarmac and do well on fast gravel roads. I have a set of tourances on my 1150 and they suck.
Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:55 AM   #13
bikeroz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
bikeroz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney Lower North Shore
Oddometer: 212
I was contemplating a new brand of tyres for my GS and since my front tyre caused a serious steering wobble between 65-75km/h only to read in another thread that the current brand (Conti TrailAttack) I have is rated the best. Oh dear. More of the same then I suppose.
Still interested in the Heidenau K60 Scout though as they were not rated against the below mentioned.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=10058128
bikeroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014