Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #166
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,003
Got a Datel Digital volt meter installed so I could keep an eye on the battery and the regulator/rectifier (known issue).

Old 07-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #167
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Hey Ian:

What temperature HID bulb do you send out w/ the kits?
4300k on the lights. Your comments on the lights is valued feedback. When I first did the Lynx, everybody was 'blown away' with the lights, because they only had the OEM to compare with. There's no doubt there are some better ( albeit more expensive) options out there now and I'm really looking at LED as an alternative. However, there seem to be very few ( if any ?) DOT/EU approved LED's out there and DOT/EU approved lights seems to be a big issue with many customers around the world. Any suggestions on lighting are really welcome !

Cheers

Ian
Old 07-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #168
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Suggestions On Lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B View Post
Any suggestions on lighting are really welcome !

Ian
I've no personal experience with them, but Walter Colebatch, famous for his trans Eur-Asian ride reports, and meticulously thought out custom bike adventurizations http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524638

swears by Bi-Xenon projectors. Either the originals used in Infiniti FX's or aftermarket copies. http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=122

is one example.

The biggest problem with them stems from the fact they are designed for on-road automotive applications. The challenge is in sealing them adequately to prevent moisture and dust from getting into the projector.

You might want to order a set and play around with them. Colebatch figures there is no better ADV bike lighting solution on the market.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #169
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,003
The other issue w/ proper HID projectors is the sharp cut off of the low beam. If you are leaned over in a corner you have no light where you are going.

If I had to be legal I would do the HID projector low beam w/ a modified cut off plate and a squadron LED for high beam.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #170
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
4300k on the lights. Your comments on the lights is valued feedback. When I first did the Lynx, everybody was 'blown away' with the lights, because they only had the OEM to compare with. There's no doubt there are some better ( albeit more expensive) options out there now and I'm really looking at LED as an alternative. However, there seem to be very few ( if any ?) DOT/EU approved LED's out there and DOT/EU approved lights seems to be a big issue with many customers around the world. Any suggestions on lighting are really welcome !

Cheers

Ian
I ditto Bike Nomads suggestion... The FX-R Bi Xenon projector is probably the best DOT pattern out there. DOT legal is not to be scoffed at... 3000 OTF lumens in a 35 watt FX-R absolutely blows away a 6,000 lumens in say a dual squadron set up... not even close. Twin squadrons will put out more light but you will not see near as well on or off road. Squadrons are deceptively dangerous for high speed riding... they wow you with how bright they are at the expense of your ability to see.
FX-R are not only legal they are superior... by far... for seeing! Not for impressing you with how bright they are and that is a huge difference.

BUT the FX-R aren't near tough as a BD squadron. They need to be sealed, waterproofed. Bending the law would be using 50 watt bulbs/ballasts in the FX-7; not DOT legal any more but much more tolerable to oncoming traffic than a squadron.

Since the Lynx has two lights, I think the best set up would be one low beam projector and one Bi Xenon projector.
The guy/company that comes up with how to make something like the FXR durable, easily adjustable and mount it well on a dirtbike will be the bomb! :)
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #171
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
The other issue w/ proper HID projectors is the sharp cut off of the low beam. If you are leaned over in a corner you have no light where you are going.
As the BMW system is probably kind of expensive I think that is best addressed by auxilary light aimed at precisly those points. Mounted low they don't bother oncoming drivers. Off road when possible a helmet light fills that gap best.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #172
firedevildog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
rattling

I mounted my Lynx to my 13 KTM 690 about 6 month ago I have tried everything i know to stop rattling around 4000 RPM tight everything felt padding here and there nothing stops it only at 4000 -4200 RPM then stops. Sounds like it is the whole mounting plate driving me crazy. Anyone else have this problem or ideas it fix it
firedevildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #173
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 797
Holy sheet, so there is somebody else who noticed that "little" vibration and noise? I've tried vinyl gaskets between all surfaces but still get the rattle. So....to alleviate it, I sing between 4000 and 5500 RPM. My shitty voice is only a bit easier to tolerate though. At least I can drown out the friggin rattle.
It gives more room on the road too, since now my friends ride further away since my singing is so bad.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #174
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedevildog View Post
I mounted my Lynx to my 13 KTM 690 about 6 month ago I have tried everything i know to stop rattling around 4000 RPM tight everything felt padding here and there nothing stops it only at 4000 -4200 RPM then stops. Sounds like it is the whole mounting plate driving me crazy. Anyone else have this problem or ideas it fix it
OK, so this has come up before and specifically on 690's ! It's 90% that the dashboard is touching the inside of the fairing right on the outside of the 'wings'. You'll see if this is the case where the inside of the fairing is marked by the dash touching it.

The dash should not touch the fairing at any point, other than where it bolts to the fairing at the top. The solution is to remove the fairing and file/grind/dremel the dash away where it touches the inside of the fairing. Leave yourself at least an 1/8th" gap between the two surfaces.

Adding different types of rubber/foam to the two surfaces does not work satisfactorily, the two surfaces need to be clear of each other.

I'm sorry that the dashboards didn't come with the correct clearance, but those reading will be pleased to hear that the issue got solved on the new Lynx this year.

Cheers Ian
Old 08-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #175
firedevildog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
rattle

Thanks i will do that today let u know how it turns out
firedevildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:07 PM   #176
resqdoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:

Cheers

Ian
Ian, any further thoughts or action toward LEDs with your fairing. I'm interested but would prefer to go that route.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #177
Ian B OP
Fairing Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqdoc View Post
Ian, any further thoughts or action toward LEDs with your fairing. I'm interested but would prefer to go that route.
Yes, quite a lot learnt on the subject of HID vs LED. Firstly, we haven't found an LED unit that is as powerful as the HID unit we use, except the Baja Designs Squadron, which is fabulous as a High beam, but is costly. The low beam issue is even more pronounced, because none of the LED's seem to be able to replicate the width of light and sharp horizontal cut off that we get from a Projector HID lamp. Most of our testing was done to establish a new lighting format for our new Voodoo fairing for the 950/990 and this was our favourite combo, with a 50w Hella HID projector lamp low beam, paired with a Squadron LED Hi and this combo is fabulous.

So, the intention was to perhaps use this lighting combo in the Lynx and we have fitted the Squadron one for testing and so far all is well. However, here's the problem. HID's have recently dropped in price dramatically and we have passed this saving on, so that twin HID's are now $130, instead of $210. This means that a Squadron equipped Lynx would be nearly $200 more than a twin HID Lynx and that a lot of money, even if it is better ! We therefore tried a cheaper, lower power LED in the High beam, but there are some problems with this, because they are so heavy, we are not sure the existing Lynx headlight frame will handle the extra weight. Add to this, the fact that the light is not as good as the HID and we're wondering why we are doing this !

Anyway, here's our position currently. We will shortly have experience of how the new lighting combo works in the Voodoo fairing and I think we will probably design a new Lynx type fairing in the fall, with a similar 'stacked' headlight combo that suits the LED mounting better. I'm also hoping that by then there will be more LED options out there for us to try as the industry is moving so fast.

So, for the time being the Lynx will be a twin HID unit, BUT, if you wanted to go for it, we can fit a Squadron LED into the Hi beam and that really does chuck out some light ! Here is a pic of a Lynx on a 950 SE with the squadron on the left as you look at it. Ignore the two auxillary lights each side of the fairing, because they are irrelevent once the Squadron is turned on, but the guy already had them and it does look cool !

Cheers Ian
Old 03-20-2014, 01:43 AM   #178
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
A stacked light fairing for the 690 is what I am looking for. This is an aesthetic preference and the side x side lights have kept me from purchasing the fairing. I have heard a lot of good things about you product and I will be watching to see what you guys end up doing.
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:30 AM   #179
Lon
The Short

Oddometer: 18
This fairing looks fantastic!

Riding my new-to-me 690E last night, I learned that the headlamp is little more than an overpowered candle in a poor reflector.

Some questions:
  • I'm wicked short. 5'5". So, any short riders with one - how's visibility? Wind protection? Any buffeting?
  • Is there perhaps a custom option for the full DOT 90mm Xenon low-beam (not bi-xenon) from Hella - part # 008194041 ? It looks about $280 more expensive than the 90mm Halogen low-beam - is it a drop-in replacement?

Edit: I suppose I should just email Britannia Composites...

Lon screwed with this post 03-21-2014 at 08:23 AM
Lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #180
Lon
The Short

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon View Post
I suppose I should just email Britannia Composites...
Based on emails, it sounds like the specific Hella part # described above may not be worthwhile. Good to know (and this was probably covered previously).
Lon is offline   Reply With Quote