User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 07:03 AM   #46
Bobbrecken
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Inspiring

Great ride and very well written. I bought a TW 200 this year mostly for riding along the abandoned CN line north of Thunder Bay. Once it is broken in I am inspired to go farther afield after your experiences.
One of the most fun bikes I had was a Honda MB5 with 50cc of screaming two stroke. It would do 80 kph. on flat ground with no wind. You could be riding the wheels off it and nobody would know.
Thanks for the entertainment. Bob.
Bobbrecken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #47
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Thanks! I really enjoyed reading your ride report. I've been thinking smaller myself lately. Recently was talking to a shop about a 250 dual sport and they repeatedly kept telling me I need to get a 650! Several years ago I did a three day trip on a Ninja 250, which is quite a change from the Ducati Multistrada I usually ride. I had a blast on it!
I rode through your area years ago on a Honda 750. Thanks for showing me the sights I missed back then
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #48
Nanabijou OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbrecken View Post
Great ride and very well written. I bought a TW 200 this year mostly for riding along the abandoned CN line north of Thunder Bay. Once it is broken in I am inspired to go farther afield after your experiences.
One of the most fun bikes I had was a Honda MB5 with 50cc of screaming two stroke. It would do 80 kph. on flat ground with no wind. You could be riding the wheels off it and nobody would know.
Hey Bob - you should log into the Northern Riders Sign-In on ADV Rider if you haven't done so already. Many riders from Thunder Bay frequent the forum and we do lots of day-rides around the area throughout the summer. A bunch of good guys. It would be fun to have a TW 200 come along.

Yes - I remember the MB5. I wanted one badly as a teenager.

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #49
Nanabijou OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcaddy View Post
Thanks! I really enjoyed reading your ride report. I've been thinking smaller myself lately. Recently was talking to a shop about a 250 dual sport and they repeatedly kept telling me I need to get a 650! Several years ago I did a three day trip on a Ninja 250, which is quite a change from the Ducati Multistrada I usually ride. I had a blast on it!
I rode through your area years ago on a Honda 750. Thanks for showing me the sights I missed back then
jbcaddy - I also own a 2009 Yamaha WR250R. It's a great dual-sport. And you can get some impressive deals on used ones in the U.S. right now. I went for a ride today - out to Sleeping Giant Park and back. I was riding with some friends - one on a KLX250S and the other on a Suzuki DR650. Both of them tried the WR and were equally surprised at the amount of power the WR puts out. And it's stock - except for a 47 T rear sprocket (stock is 43T). The DR650 owner really enjoyed riding it and afterwards said he's seriously considering purchasing one. He added that it didn't feel like a 250cc power-wise and had more low end than he expected as well. Granted - it is a tall bike - and doesn't offer much highway wind protection. But it's tons of fun - and has plenty of power for 99% of the things I need it to do.

Mike

Nanabijou screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 08:03 PM
Old 07-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #50
Bobbrecken
n00b

sign-in

I just joined and am trying to figure out how to sign in to the Northern Riders. I have subscribed but am lost. Bob.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #51
Nanabijou OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I just joined and am trying to figure out how to sign in to the Northern Riders. I have subscribed but am lost. Bob.
Hey Bob - here is a link to the most recent discussions. Once you've clicked the link - you can always just save the page in your favourites.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...83099&page=547

Mike
Old 07-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #52
Bobbrecken
n00b

Sultan

You missed you chance to ride the Sultan Industrial Rd. off 144. Can be a great shortcut to Wawa or hell depending when the last grader went through. Bob.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #53
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,014
Quote:
We tried the rail bed on the ride with Nanabijou, on the dualsports, but it was blocked off in one spot. (This is the one going toward Pass Lake.)

There are a few "private property" signs on the railbed headed north, but we think ppl have put them there illegally. Can't see how they can own railway land.

{Hijack off} Back to our regularly scheduled ride report.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #54
yyzmdo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I thoroughly enjoyed reading your ride report.

Thank you!!
Old 07-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #55
Nanabijou OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzmdo View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed reading your ride report.

Thank you!!
Thanks yyzmdo!!!

Mike
Old 07-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #56
Nanabijou OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
You missed you chance to ride the Sultan Industrial Rd. off 144. Can be a great shortcut to Wawa or hell depending when the last grader went through. Bob.
Hey Bob - I take the Sultan Rd a couple of times each year in my car when traveling down to S. Ontario. You're right. It could be like riding on marbles with the CBR150R. Would never want to take the chance. I bet it would make for some interesting twists to my report though. I wanted to stay at Ivanhoe Lake Park anyway - so it gave me a good excuse to bypass it. I believe on a dual-sport I could access Ivanhoe from at least one of the roads branching off the Sultan Rd.

MIke

Nanabijou screwed with this post 12-10-2013 at 08:42 PM
Old 07-27-2013, 05:31 AM   #57
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Yaba-Daba-Doo! My nucleus accumbens is now fully doped.
http://youtu.be/qpGx4foRdPw
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #58
jdn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Cool RR! Nice to see it's actually possible to make such a trip with a small bike. Really makes me reconsider the CBR 250R instead of a 600ccm bike...

Could you tell me more about the saddlebags and how they are attached to the bike? Looks cool...
jdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #59
Nanabijou OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdn View Post
Cool RR! Nice to see it's actually possible to make such a trip with a small bike. Really makes me reconsider the CBR 250R instead of a 600ccm bike...

Could you tell me more about the saddlebags and how they are attached to the bike? Looks cool...
I have the Ortlieb waterproof saddlebags. Love them. They never leak. And I won't have to worry about stopping and attaching waterproof raincovers when it rains ever again. The Ortliebs have two Velcro straps that connect the bags to each other. I have the rear-most strap positioned under my pillion seat and the front-most strap across the rear of my seat. I find that having one strap under the seat contributes some extra stability to the setup. And there isn't any noticeable discomfort in sitting on the other strap. One thing I noticed quickly was that - when loaded - the bottom of each saddlebag was tilting inward - too close to the rear wheel. The fix involved using the carabiner bungeys that secured the camp cot. After attaching the bungeys to the rack - I wrapped them around the cot a few times - then attached them to rings on each saddle. There was enough tension on the bungeys to lift each saddle up and nicely away from the rear-wheel.

You can see one of the bungey cords attached to the saddlebag ring in this photo.

And here is what the setup looks like from behind. You can see one of the bungeys connected to the rack (with the carabiner) and wrapped around the cot.

Mike

Nanabijou screwed with this post 08-09-2013 at 01:20 PM
Old 07-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #60
jdn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Thanks a lot, Mike! I wondered how the bags stayed in place. The solution with the bungey cords sounds pretty simple, I like it.
jdn is offline   Reply With Quote