Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #61
khones
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
If all is right: my video of the front end wobble. Appears between 85 and 75 kph. The front wheel has been rebalanced since then.
The wobble only appears in certain conditions.

I have an identical "wobble" in my front end. 13 GS-WC with cross spoke wheels and Tourance Next tires. Inflation pressure always kept at factory recommended 36/42 psi. First noticed it sometime shortly after the 600 mi. service even though I suspect it was always there and I didn't notice it because of the newness of the bike. It occurs starting around 40mph up to 60mph and then no wobble all the way up to 130mph. The wobble is more pronounced during deceleration than acceleration. It is much more pronounced if hand pressure is lightened or removed from the bars (hand pressure is acting as a damper.) It occurs in all riding modes and damping settings with different loads on the bike and the windshield in different positions. It occurs on straight smooth roads as well as twisty back country roads.

The bike now has just over 4,000 miles on it. At 1,840 miles I took the bike to my dealer to have the wobble checked out. A very experienced BMW mechanic spent about 2 hours checking it out and test riding it. They rebalanced the front wheel (it was only off by .25 grams) and said they could not find anything wrong. I've recently returned from a trip and am waiting for my dealer to let me know what BMW will do next to correct this. While I was away another customer of the dealer with the same bike as mine reported the same issue. When the dealer contacted BMW and asked them if they were familiar with any issues like this the said NO. They then asked if the wobble occurred around 60mph!!! Guess they HAD heard. BMW is going to try replacing the tires with a different brand for that customer (tires not yet available.) Haven't heard back from BMW yet on my situation. I've owned many BMW's and never experienced a front end wobble in any of them.Got to say I'm a little disappointed, and that wobble is annoying as hell.
khones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #62
khones
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Question

My cross spoke wheels also have tire pressure monitors. Is any one else experiencing this wobble with this set up?
khones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #63
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by khones View Post
My cross spoke wheels also have tire pressure monitors. Is any one else experiencing this wobble with this set up?
Yes

So did my last cast wheeled sport tourer without TPM.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #64
m0to
Under the Big Hard Sun

Oddometer: 369
I had this wobble too and I sent my front wheel off to Woody's Wheel Works about 5 years ago and have never had the wobble since. If the wheel is out of true, and some come that way even from the factory, it will wobble like that.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:34 AM   #65
Aviatordoc
BMW K12S rider

Oddometer: 338
Some folks here have NO clue what the issue is at hand. :(
Aviatordoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #66
nwpa
Generally amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviatordoc View Post
Some folks here have NO clue what the issue is at hand. :(
Some folks here have nothing to contribute but vague insults. :-(
Old 07-23-2013, 06:53 AM   #67
atwoodtja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Maybe related: I found it interesting that BMW factory seemed to use the same large amount of balancing weights, front and rear, on every new GS on the floor at my dealer, regardless of whether tires were Conti, Mich or Metz. This was something I noticed when I took mine in for 600 mile service. Its almost like they don't fully balance them at the factory, just find the heavy spot (maybe not even that) and slap a predetermined default set of 4 weights on it. It hasn't seemed to affect my bike's handling or cause vibrations at higher speeds, but I'll be curious to see if the old tires are actually balanced when I change my tires this winter.
atwoodtja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #68
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
Some folks here have nothing to contribute but vague insults. :-(
I try to stick to my core competencies!
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #69
fennel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Can the "wobble" be related with the spoke wheels only? I'm positive that I don't have any with the alloys.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
fennel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #70
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Rain grooves

I get a shimmy in the handlebars on a particular area of the local freeway. I am running a K60 front that loves to track the rain grooves that are scored into the concrete freeway surface. The shimmy is more pronounced at lower speeds, but is still noticeable at higher speeds. Some sections I avoid because the K60 tracking causes too much wobble.
Ravenslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #71
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by fennel View Post
Can the "wobble" be related with the spoke wheels only? I'm positive that I don't have any with the alloys.

That's an interesting thought. I have not observed any sort of vibration or wobble on my alloys at up to an indicated 100 mph.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #72
Marki_GSA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by fennel View Post

Doesn't look like it going by other posts, seems to happen to both cast and spokes. It also seems to happen when tyres are replaced so the "default amount of weights" doesn't seem to apply either.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #73
thepopeofchilitown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
I've only had my GSW for about 300 miles but I haven't experienced any wobble or oscillation in 60-70 range. It feels like it's most stable at those speeds. I have spoke wheels and my tire pressure is at the recommended level. To be fair, I do not have cruise control, so I can't 100% guarantee I have zero wobble as my body could be damping it. At autobahn speeds I get whipped around a lot and just write that off as high speeds/cross winds. I think I'm a bit paranoid due to the bad press from certain reviews of the GSW,
thepopeofchilitown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #74
nwpa
Generally amused

The reported wobbles (now evident on my spoked/TPM equipped GSW @ 2,500 miles) are mid-speed, around the 40mph range or so. I haven't spent much time with my hands off the bars at 100mph to verify there is no wobble there. Looking for volunteers though....

I'm not sleepless over it. I'll work to try to reduce it (balancing, tires, etc) but it's not slowing me down or keeping me off the road.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #75
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,824
Osilation in the front points to a light front end. Increasing rear preload or better yet, installing the proper springs for riders weight would go a long way. If your having trouble with the front, fill the gas tank to place more weight on the front and see if that helps.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote