Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #136
reyb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
What's kind of ironic is that while I researched the stick coil issue/mod I found that on another forum(crotch rockets) they were modifying their bikes to go from standard coils to stick coils. Maybe it's just the bmw stick coils that are poorly designed.
reyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:52 AM   #137
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyb View Post
What's kind of ironic is that while I researched the stick coil issue/mod I found that on another forum(crotch rockets) they were modifying their bikes to go from standard coils to stick coils. Maybe it's just the bmw stick coils that are poorly designed.
What reasons did they give for switching them to stick coils?
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #138
reyb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I don't recall the reasoning but my guess would be that the newer bikes probably have them and they wanted their bike to have the "upgrade".
reyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #139
Thunderbird
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I think that performance has to include reliability, especially when considering a bike like a GS. If the reliability, availability of replacement parts and cost of maintenance is improved, I see that as an improvement in performance, thus an increase in Quality. On my bike I see a marked, though not measured, gain in actual driving performance, likely because my stick coils were less effective than they should have been long before they died.

This upgrade is based on an understanding of the motor. It's a rather simple understanding that says a big spark is better than no spark, informed by enough electrical know-how on HackyMoto's part that we haven't all blown up our computers, but I think that also works for Persig's notion of Quality. The simple solution is better than the complicated solution.

Fun conversation. It's been a while since I've thought about my bike in these terms.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #140
Thunderbird
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
As for the crotch-rockets, perhaps the benefits of stick coils outweigh the disadvantages when a) you're more interested in speed than reliability b) your cylinder head is elevated from the road and pointed upwards, c) you don't ride in the rain and d) your motor is water cooled and not dumping most of its heat right on your stick coils.

This is, of course, just conjecture.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #141
Sporttour
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
Some of the best engine designers in the world are at BMW.

Yet we have to deal with surging, clutch splines, final drives, stick coils failures, etc, etc.

Hey!
Maybe that's how "Some of the best" engineers in the world designed it.
Good news to you Roger! You can stop messing around with you R1150RT Wideband O2 Sensor Proyect... there is nothing else to improve, we are dealing with perfection
Old 07-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #142
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporttour View Post

Yet we have to deal with surging, clutch splines, final drives, stick coils failures, etc, etc.

Hey!
Maybe that's how "Some of the best" engineers in the world designed it.
Good news to you Roger! You can stop messing around with you R1150RT Wideband O2 Sensor Proyect... there is nothing else to improve, we are dealing with perfection
Ouch!

I think the fuel and spark tables are pretty good but don't think much of the EPA fueling constraints that require our bikes to cruise with mixtures that produce the hottest possible exhausts, not the best fuel economy nor the best power.

You know what they say:
"Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did"
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #143
johnrayski
EuroMotoElectrics

Oddometer: 14
Bmw stick coils

Euro MotoElectrics now has available a complete range of BERU stick coils
( aka Coil-Over-Plug / COP) . Made in EEC. Improved desing with Stainless steel jacket for stength and heat resistance . Replaces BREMI and PULSE brands. Competetive prices for single and better pricing for complete sets. View more product info on their website www.euromotoelectrics.com

johnrayski screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 11:52 AM
johnrayski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #144
Ravenslair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrayski View Post
( aka Coil-Over-Plug / COP) . Made Germany . Stainless steel jacket for stength and heat resistance . Replace BREMI and PULSE brand. View more info on their website www.euromotoelectrics.com
Thanks for the link
Ravenslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #145
khpossum
poster

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
( aka Coil-Over-Plug / COP) . Made in EEC. Improved desing with Stainless steel jacket for stength and heat resistance . Replaces BREMI and PULSE brands. Competetive prices for single and better pricing for complete sets. View more product info on their website www.euromotoelectrics.com
Is Part #: BMW-SCoil12KF suitable for the XChallenge?
khpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #146
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,047
Quote:
Thanks for the link....

Just ordered a set for my 2004 R1100SA.

Been chasing this problem for at least 18 months. My Google-Foo was very poor and I didn't find the info about bad stick-coils and the symptoms until today when I searched on the part number. Would have been a lot quicker getting to this thread if I had just googled "idles like a Harley"

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #147
Minnesota
Conform or be cast out

Oddometer: 3,947
I'm working on doing this to my bike and have a question about grounding. The stock coil sticks have the ubiquitous BMW brown ground wire going to them. The Accel coils only have connectors for two wires; the hot (green) wire and the black signal wire. There is no place to connect the ground wire. The mounting point for the Accel coil has a big brass bushing, which leads me to suspect that this grounds the coil. After all, current can't flow without a ground, right? So my question is, do you have to ground the coil in some way? If so, am I right that the mounting point is also the ground?

On a different but related topic, I used the connector off the old coil stick to connect the new coil to the bike's wiring harness. Some careful hacksaw work is required, but I was able to remove the connector and solder some wires to it to run to the new coil. When I do the other side I'll take some pictures and post them here.
Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:47 PM   #148
BluByU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
"The mounting point for the Accel coil has a big brass bushing, which leads me to suspect that this grounds the coil."

Nope, not a grounding point. Connect the primary wires as you have (forget about the ground wire) and connect the secondary (plug wire) thats all it takes.
BluByU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:49 AM   #149
Minnesota
Conform or be cast out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluByU View Post
"The mounting point for the Accel coil has a big brass bushing, which leads me to suspect that this grounds the coil."

Nope, not a grounding point. Connect the primary wires as you have (forget about the ground wire) and connect the secondary (plug wire) thats all it takes.
Thanks. After more consideration I figured the coil must ground through the plug wire.

I only got one side done last night since the O'Reilly's that I went to only had one coil and one plug wire in stock. If things go as planned today I'll finish the job tonight.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #150
Minnesota
Conform or be cast out

Got everything cobbled up and took the bike for a spin. It was an improvement in that the idle seemed better and overall there was more power and a snappier throttle.

I'm awaiting the delivery of the Pico wiring connectors, and will do a final install once they arrive. I will be posting a few photos once I'm done.

Update: I rode the bike to work today with the new Accel coils producing primary spark. My commute is 37 miles, one way, 25 of which are on the interstate. The bike still started poorly this morning. It starts, runs rough for a moment, then dies. Then on the second attempt it keeps running, albeit a bit roughly. The new coils haven't sorted that out. I rode all the way to town and navigated a few stop lights where the idle was still less than optimal. I suspect there is something else going on causing my surging and rough idle. Fuel filter? Anyway, I've got the new coils zip-tied to the crash bars on the GSA and 24" plug wires flapping in the wind for now. Like I said before, the bike runs, seems to have more power, but the mod hasn't made the bike run like it's old self yet.

Minnesota screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 12:54 PM