Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #31
thepopeofchilitown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Every think about a sheepskin buttpad? They're apparently really comfortable (I don't have one yet) and would raise your seat height only a little, maybe just enough to recover what you've lost as your stock material collapsed? They also claim to be comfortable in the heat and the cold. Could be a cheaper option for you. Any thoughts?
thepopeofchilitown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #32
TuonoBiker OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Several manufacturers make tall versions of their seats. I would be surprised if Sargent didn't.

Jim
Unfortunately, they don't. It's adjustable, but the tall position of the seat is about like my current stock seat's low position. One thought is the more firm padding will keep you sitting taller vs. the softer squish of the stock seat...maybe it will net out to be about even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepopeofchilitown View Post
Every think about a sheepskin buttpad? They're apparently really comfortable (I don't have one yet) and would raise your seat height only a little, maybe just enough to recover what you've lost as your stock material collapsed? They also claim to be comfortable in the heat and the cold. Could be a cheaper option for you. Any thoughts?
I'm just not there yet...call me funny, but sheepskin riders are another subset of riders...like the Aerostitch guys.

'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #33
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
Ya know what is starting to gripe me is that if I go to an aftermarket seat, I'm losing my seat-to-peg height that I gain by having an "Adventure" model of the GS.

Just looking at Revzilla and I have 25 bucks of zilla cash that would really make the Sargent a very good deal. About $125 less than direct order with Sargent. I think I'm going to order it and spend a night sitting on it in the garage. Only way to tell at this point.

Then blow another another 150 on pivot pegz installed in the low position to get back to my original seat-to-peg height? *sigh* Where does it end!!!???!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
When you say that it concentrated your weight onto your pelvic bones, how do you mean? Like top of the femur where it goes into your hip, upper leg area?
My Sargent is about 3/4" shorter..+/- Sargent on high, stock adventure high in front low in back.

Not on my femers..on the bones in my butt..if you were to push in on each cheek..I know we're all built the same..it just seems I can really feel that I'm sitting on these two areas of bone..vs. sitting on my whole arse..

And too the aforementioned spot on bottom inners of thighs..although this didn't bother me yesterday..I have some more running to do today, we'll see about those spots..I think the seat will soften SOME and take away the feeling of sitting directly on my pelvic bones..

Found this..I feel (literally) my Ischium on the seat..
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #34
TuonoBiker OP
Studly Adventurer

Excellent description! This thread just became the most scientific, official seat thread on ADV! Well done.

That does explain much better - I know what you're referring to now. Well, I just ordered the Sargent from Revzilla, so in a couple days, I will know much better how things are working out.

Spending some time this afternoon on the bike in the garage, monkeying with the tilt of the seat, I definitely like it tilted back a bit, but then need more support right under the crotch....which the Sargent looks like it will do both of those things.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #35
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,657
You could also add a beadrider to the Sargent. I tried one for about 2000 miles, but it just put me too far away from the ground. I only have a 31" inseam so I'm on tip toes as it is. It was comfortable for quite some time and allowed air under my junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #36
TuonoBiker OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
You could also add a beadrider to the Sargent. I tried one for about 2000 miles, but it just put me too far away from the ground. I only have a 31" inseam so I'm on tip toes as it is. It was comfortable for quite some time and allowed air under my junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dad had one of those in his cars years ago and I hated it then, can't imagine I'd like one on a bike seat...I think they go in the same subset as the sheepskinners.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #37
bobbybob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
I still think the Sargent is fine but need to determine, if I was was just a bit sore from all the walking..and an off road class..but the seat seems to catch me under my thigh, to the inside..where the edge of the seat rolls down..If I get off and walk around two minutes..I'm good for another hour..I think it's more a break in issue. ...I'll be trying to wear it out in the next few days though, so I can return if need be.
Mine was exactly the same, came close to sending it back the first week, but kept it---and sure enough it did break in, no more sharp edge feeling in the back of my thighs. Took a couple thou miles, but it got better gradually.
bobbybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #38
Botch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post
I haven't seen a horse saddle that has foam padding on it yet...
Hmm, never thought of that...
Botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #39
terryckdbf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Tuono

I am looking at a Sargent, please let us know what ya think when ya ride with it.

Be safe

Terry
terryckdbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #40
VolInGA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
My Sargent is about 3/4" shorter..+/- Sargent on high, stock adventure high in front low in back.

Not on my femers..on the bones in my butt..if you were to push in on each cheek..I know we're all built the same..it just seems I can really feel that I'm sitting on these two areas of bone..vs. sitting on my whole arse..

And too the aforementioned spot on bottom inners of thighs..although this didn't bother me yesterday..I have some more running to do today, we'll see about those spots..I think the seat will soften SOME and take away the feeling of sitting directly on my pelvic bones..

Found this..I feel (literally) my Ischium on the seat..
Those bones (ischium) are commonly referred to as your "sit bones" because they are what you are supposed to sit on. If you are leaning back too far you are putting the pressure on your tailbone, which will eventually cause much more pain and bad posture.
VolInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #41
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolInGA View Post
Those bones (ischium) are commonly referred to as your "sit bones" because they are what you are supposed to sit on. If you are leaning back too far you are putting the pressure on your tailbone, which will eventually cause much more pain and bad posture.
I know and understand this...however..because of my sexy..yet bony but..right now..it feels like I'm sitting on a steel chair..my posture is pretty good..just not enough "sink in" to spread the load..

Make sense?? Not sure if I'm explaining it right..
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:21 AM   #42
VolInGA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
I know and understand this...however..because of my sexy..yet bony but..right now..it feels like I'm sitting on a steel chair..my posture is pretty good..just not enough "sink in" to spread the load..

Make sense?? Not sure if I'm explaining it right..
Makes sense. I had the same issue, finally found the right position after a lot of trial and error at a bicycle shop looking for a bike saddle that didn't kill me after a few miles. Finally learned it was more related to how I was sitting too far back on my butt and not forward on the sit bones. Find the right combo and its much better. Didn't bother me until I reached my mid 40's. The same general position works on the GSA, but takes a while to change old habits. All of that being said, I have an Adventure Track arriving today. The way it looks to me, the channel keeps the boys happy and the sides distribute your weight on the sit bones. Looking forward to testing it tomorrow!
VolInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:16 AM   #43
TuonoBiker OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolInGA View Post
Makes sense. I had the same issue, finally found the right position after a lot of trial and error at a bicycle shop looking for a bike saddle that didn't kill me after a few miles. Finally learned it was more related to how I was sitting too far back on my butt and not forward on the sit bones. Find the right combo and its much better. Didn't bother me until I reached my mid 40's. The same general position works on the GSA, but takes a while to change old habits. All of that being said, I have an Adventure Track arriving today. The way it looks to me, the channel keeps the boys happy and the sides distribute your weight on the sit bones. Looking forward to testing it tomorrow!
Be sure to let us know your thoughts on the Adventure Track seat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryckdbf View Post
Tuono

I am looking at a Sargent, please let us know what ya think when ya ride with it.

Be safe

Terry
Sure thing, Terry. Hopefully it will ship from revzillas Philadelphia warehouse...that should put it on my doorway tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:27 AM   #44
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
For me, it's the hard ledge that hurts my inner thighs, not the seam.
I know the feeling. But on my GS it is allright. On the replacementbikes it is a disaster.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #45
dirty_t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
I just bought a Sargent at the Rally, too (at first I was going to box up the stock seat and ship it home - and then it occurred to me I did have an extra set of bungees, and, heck, how hard could it be to bungee a whole seat on top of all my camping gear, folding chair, etc? Beverly Hillbillies here we come...).

As others have said, the 30-day return option really sealed the deal for me - I had a 650 mile ride to get home, so plenty of time to test. Bike is 2012 R1200GS - I bought barely used, with the BMW low seat on it. I'm 5'11", around 33" inseam. While I liked being able to flatfoot the bike while moving it around in the garage, I didn't like the cramped leg room (also came with Pivotpegz), so been thinking about seats.

I immediately noticed the ischial pressure points, as previously mentioned, when I first sat on the new seat. Also, because it sits up higher (standard height, on high setting), I felt like I was sitting "on" the bike, rather than "in" it. Also, now tippy toes when maneuvering around the garage, which is a bit nerve wracking, but I'm getting used to it.

The good news is, big Jim and the twins are a lot happier on this seat - no more denting the gas tank.

And I'm using the black sheepskin pad that also came with the bike - need to build a different strap for it so it stays attached to the Sargent. While that does raise me up even more (maybe 1/4" by the time it's all compressed), the added comfort are well worth it. (Not sure what someone above meant about not being ready for the sheepskin look/experience - what look?).

And last, I'm sill evaluating whether the ischia issue (ischiaue?) will resolve as the seat starts to mold to my sitter. Even if it doesn't, I was surprised that after my nice ride home those pressure points didn't turn into outright pain. So either way, I think it's going to be fine that way. And i definitely feel more comfy overall, and like the extra legroom. If I decide to keep the seat, I'm thinking about sending it back, and at least getting one with blue piping (mine's black on black) so it matches the bike. Gotta have that, I think.
dirty_t is offline   Reply With Quote