Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #76
Yukon Johann
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevyRider View Post
Most excellent ride report there guys!! Awesome pictures! Really making me want to endure the bugs and go for this trip.

Congrats to Johann, only four weeks with his license, WOW!! Great job!

Seems like a very good adventure for you both. Continue having fun!

Cheers
Thanks RevyRider!! The trip has gone much better than I ever thought it would have. I was thinking I was going to dump the bike a lot more than just once...well, any way, once you get over the bugs, nothing really bothers you it has just been spectacular all around...man, those bug jackets sure were a savior though
Yukon Johann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #77
theofam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
I should have known the Sour Toe shot would be old news to seasoned Yukon travelers like you two!

Johann, you're doing an awesome job on this ride. To think you only had your mc license for four weeks before heading out on this adventure, you deserve applause! Between your instructors and your dad, looks like you've had great influences.

Grizz, you must be poppin' buttons, you're so proud. I know I would be!

Lookin' forward to the next round of pics and accompanying story.
theofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #78
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 480
Slow on Updates

Sorry folks.

We have not had any time for updates...

Lack of WiFi and a big event have kept us dormant for awhile.

More to come in a couple of days.
RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #79
FBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Wow, great trip and stories! Bucket list for sure.
FBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #80
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Need Rear Tire in Prince George

Folks,

Currently holed up in Prince George. Thought I could make it home on the R1200 GSA on the current tire. Probably still could, but I play it on the safe side.

I see a shop called Cycle North. I don't see a BMW dealer here in town. Any advice? Send Private msg.

Thanks...
Old 07-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #81
kildala2000
The GS Store.

Oddometer: 2,038
Talking Pm

PM sent your way..
Rick
kildala2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #82
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by kildala2000 View Post
PM sent your way..
Rick
Thxs... tire installed... on my way.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #83
Bark
Panic Dancer

Oddometer: 66
Glad you are back on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLee View Post
I read that before the development of the oil fields that Caribou were in huge abundance, now that I have been up there, I understand a bit more why they have dwindled to such low numbers.
Don't believe everything you read.

You just drove the road at the wrong time to see many Caribou.
Even PBS had to finally admit that there was no impact to the Caribou herds in fact there are more now than before the pipeline.
This is from their website:
The Impact on Caribou
One particular concern was to protect Alaskan wildlife. Conservationists had feared the worst for caribou herds. They believed the pipeline would disrupt the animals' migration routes. When the engineers designed the pipe, they added 554 elevated sections (ten feet high) so the animals could cross under. The engineers also buried the pipe in 23 locations so the caribou could cross over it. Again, reports of how the caribou fared are different. Oil industry experts say caribou populations have doubled, while some wildlife biologists say this could be due to long term factors like climate change.

So there are actually more caribou now than when the pipeline started but some groups want to convince you otherwise.

LoL, sorry, just realized I made this post kind of long and got away from the important thing---your current trip.
Bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #84
Yukon Johann
Adventurer

Disaster on the Road...

Leaving Dawson and heading towards home Yukon Johann has an unexpected accident.

Yukon Johann's account:
"We were one the flip side and returning home when something bad happened. I crashed the bike just 85 miles South of Dawson City, Yukon on the Klondike Hwy. We were going about 60 miles an hour, we were coming up on a corner, just before it my steering started wobbling slightly, it didn’t seem like much at first, it started to correct itself. I couldn’t have been more wrong though, I must have hit something in the road that made the wobble more violent. The rear wheel swung out to the right and got caught on the soft, gravel shoulder which had quite the steep drop to it. The bike got sucked into the gravel and now both of my wheels were in the dirt with one going all over the place. I didn’t want go down the steep slope (more like a cliff with trees) to my right so I turned the bike over to the left and slid the bike all the way across the road. I remember looking back toward where I came from when the bike spun around and seeing all of the things flying off the bike, the mirror snapping, the right turn signal light breaking off and pieces of my boot being shredded to pieces and being thrown all over the road. The bike spun around a little more, facing the ditch on the side of the road I was sliding into, I remember seeing the ditch. The next thing I saw was the bike flying right over my head, barely missing me. I stood up almost immediately and thought "WOW! i cant believe this just happened." Immediately after I got up someone pulled over to help us, he offered to get all of my gear and put it in his truck and take me to the nurses office. We went to the local nurses office in Dawson City, she told me I was one of the luckiest people to ever come out of a motorcycle crash at that speed and come out walking with only scratches, burns, and bruises. Despite how fast I was going, and what happened, the bike is in really good shape and looks like it can be repaired.

That same night, we unpacked everything and looked all of the things my dad would need and set that all aside, and the things he didn't need we packed into my panniers. The following morning we took all the panniers over the airport and got them checked into the flight. we said our good-bye's and departed. I could tell my dad was very sad about what happened, so was I, but i was just really glad that I came out okay and i'm able to tell about what happened."

Here are a few pics of the incident...

both of my boots were ripped to shreds

the helmet really did save me

im so glad i had the lower pad on my jacket

The riding pants did their job as well.

And now for the pics of the bike

It was quite the sad sight

The bike's unrideable

Handle bars bent, and pannier totaled, the wind shield took some damage too.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:26 AM   #85
theofam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Um . . . . HOLY CRAP! I'm very glad you are okay. Your ATTGATT approach to riding saved you.

I can't imagine the severe sphincter contraction you must have experienced as the GS flew over your head!

Quick thinking to lay it down low side rather than catapult yourself off the tree-lined cliff!
theofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:41 AM   #86
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Soul Searching

Can a parent be too cautious? Am I bad father? Did I push to hard? Was I too anxious? Selfish? These are the questions I asked myself over and over again as I rode home, solo... reflecting on the ride so far and the previous trips to the north. Johann was Ok “this time”. What about next time? It is true, that Johann and I have lived on the margins of the wilds before. I had a lot on my mind riding solo the last 2000 miles home.

One summer we lived up there for 4 months… hiking the tundra above the arctic circle, paddling 500 miles on the Yukon River, he in his own Kayak at age 11. We took off across unknown tundra above the circle with nothing but our packs, a GPS, maps, Bear Spray and sparse route description from a local native.

Again at age 15, I took him on a trek in Kluane park. A trek that has no trails, lots of grizzly bears and only GPS points to guide us through the bush. Fear was in the back of my mind the entire 10 days we bush wacked and climbed through glacier encrusted peaks. The fear and the unknown made it fun and challenging. It was more than physically challenging. It was a very mental exercise in all aspects and a real test of fortitude (route finding, map, compass, GPS, knowing the limitations of your party and pushing them to the edge).

But when does a father cross the line? I have no answer for this and I wrestled with this the entire ride home. I think back now, when he at age 11, we paddled Prince William Sound, he in his Kayak and me in my own. We hired a water taxi to take us out to a bay and leave us there for 3 days as we paddled the wild sound under our own power. An incredible experience. But in hindsight, was I foolish?

Yes, I am experienced paddler/hiker/mountaineer, trained and taking all precautions, but there is always danger. I know that anything worthwhile comes at a price. Like when we hiked for 3 days in a pouring rain, lightning striking the ground within mere yards of us as we hurried off the ridge in the tundra down to the valley.. all the time I had to hide my fear to avoid a sense of panic and fear in front of my son. But still, is this the price I was willing to pay?

Rain, bears, wolves... nothing can intimidate us.

The ultimate campsite... Priceless

My friend in WH told me that these things happen and you can’t live your life in a shell. But, this was my son. I feel I was lucky… This Time. But what about next time? Could I live with myself? I hope that there is no next time.

I find solace in the fact that he is nearly an adult, and soon all choices on these matters will be his. I can only hope that I made positive influence in his life. Yes, he has done and experienced more than may adults. I suspect that when he is 40, married with kids, he will come to realize what we did together was incredible... maybe even foolish. I don’t know. Maybe his wife (if he marries) will think I am crazy… maybe even think he is crazy. I don’t know the answer. I do know that I wouldn’t have traded a moment of any of these experiences with my son for anything. And that… is probably my best answer I am comfortable with. I feel like the luckiest father in the world… my son holds nothing against me, says it isn’t my fault, asked me to continue the ride for him and thanked me for taking him along and sharing in the wanderlust. He says we wants to go back and finish the ride. And for that I am grateful. It has a been a fun ride (figuratively speaking) with my son from his day of birth to the present. I wouldn’t trade any of the experiences we’ve shared together for anything.

More Research and searching for answers.
The evening we came back from the Arctic circle and we were back in Fairbanks, Johann mentioned that he experienced some wobble. We discussed this a bit as he said it occurred over an area with severe frost heaves. Unfortunately, I dismissed this discussion to something minor due to the road conditions. In hindsight, should I have been more diligent? I don't know.

I did a bit of research on speed wobble and discussed this with my experienced mechanic here in Seattle. There are many factors that contribute to it. Higher suspension bikes are more susceptible. Load the bikes up for a long trip and throw in a few frost heaves.. who knows... I am in the process of seeing if I can get a steering damper installed. Johann seems to have no fear on getting back on the bike, but I am afraid now.

Next steps, get the bike back from Dawson, where it is currently being stored. That will be a story in itself to be posted here.

Now that we are both back home, we can give a proper accounting of the entire trip from beginning to end. There are many things we have not shared, many thoughts, insights and people we've met that have yet to be accounted for.

Stay tuned... The adventure isn't over.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:49 AM   #87
Yukon Johann
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theofam View Post
Um . . . . HOLY CRAP! I'm very glad you are okay. Your ATTGATT approach to riding saved you.

I can't imagine the severe sphincter contraction you must have experienced as the GS flew over your head!

Quick thinking to lay it down low side rather than catapult yourself off the tree-lined cliff!
it's very strange, because shortly after the wreck I couldn't really remember much of what happened almost as if i had blacked out. as the days came and went, i was remembering more and more...

overall the crash didn't really scare me in a way that i don't want to ride anymore, it really just reinforced the whole ATGATT idea. I will say that I am ready for another ride when the opportunity presents itself
Old 07-27-2013, 03:54 AM   #88
TigerXC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
First, Yukon Johann, you are the poster child for ATGATT. The pictures of your gear reflect the impact that they absorbed. It is much easier to replace any piece of gear than any piece of you. I crashed my first street bike, a 1977 RD400, at the age of 17. The crash changed my attitude toward riding safely but not my passion for riding.

GrizzLee, in your earlier posts you document your opinion on ATGATT, you put Johann through the MSF course prior to him taking it formally, you meticulously prepared the bikes for this trip. These are not reckless actions but the actions of a loving father who wants to instill your spirt of adventure and the outdoors in your son. I have already commented on my observations when the three of us rode together in May. I immediately saw the coaching and mentoring and can only imagine that it continued throughout your trip North.

This is not the way that anyone wants to end a trip. But you are now both back home safely. You have many great memories to reflect on. Sometimes in life, it is the setbacks that make us better in the future.

I still hope that we have the opportunity to all ride together again this fall.

All the best,
Tim
TigerXC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:09 AM   #89
IDRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
GrizzLee, I am a father of three. It is our responsibility to raise our children and prepare them to live their lives. This alone carries risk. While I hope and pray that my children live long and wonderful lives, holding them in a cocoon is not living. Life is full of risk and rewards. We/they will never receive the rewards without some risk.

You prepared your son and yourself quite well. Accidents do happen,such is life.

I hope that one day I will be able to experience a similar adventure with at least one of my children.

Ride safe.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #90
Bark
Panic Dancer

Oddometer: 66
Wow! As has been said you are a perfect demonstration of the importance of wearing gear.
Sorry for the crash but you have a great story to tell instead of us reading a story about a fatality in Canada.

GrizzLee: You are doing it right!
Bark is offline   Reply With Quote