ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #24556
Defaultgateway
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
My view of DDLewis Highside

The first part is full speed. Second portion is 1/4 speed.

https://vimeo.com/70831879
Defaultgateway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:20 AM   #24557
SplitLanesLikeMOSES

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
There is a limit here though, you can finally reach the point where you just cannot get the lean need standing. The solution is either slow down or sit down. If you get to that point on a big dual sport your really doing something.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:08 AM   #24558
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 857
Colorado Video

Here is a short video from my trip out west. Im riding through a canyon getting ready to cross over into Wyoming from Colorado. If you have a big screen open it up in 1080.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:13 AM   #24559
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defaultgateway View Post

Dan that looks like it hurt I didn't realize it was that bad, you be careful out there.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:17 AM   #24560
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 857
Video

Here is another one. Its up around 11,000' at a place called Rabbit Ears in Colorado. I almost made it too the top but it got way to steep so I stopped. The views from up there were amazing. The video is coming down from the top. Some of the hills were very steep.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:08 AM   #24561
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:

Thanks Steve, That did it -I remember what happened now.. I had to pee. real bad.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:08 AM   #24562
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Thanks to Greenfly and ptownjohnny for help with the flat tire. Greenfly- the patch let go not far from the last group lunch. This time had all the spares, tools and the whole wrecking crew to help.

Here is what we came up with:

[IMG][/IMG]
that kicks butt
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #24563
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Here is another one. Its up around 11,000' at a place called Rabbit Ears in Colorado. I almost made it too the top but it got way to steep so I stopped. The views from up there were amazing. The video is coming down from the top. Some of the hills were very steep.

Challenging. Must have been a blast on the way up! Does anyone else think those dogs looked abnormally large?
Old 07-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #24564
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Target fixation at it's finest. Big squeeze on the front brake, NO STEERING input despite time to swerve to either direction. Scary hard hit! He walked away with no injuries....only a massive lawsuit for smacking into the Camaro! Can you say "My back will hurt until your insurance company writes me a fat check!"

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2013/07/21/vo-newday-motorcycle-crash-on-tape.cnn
idiot
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #24565
Jersey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Sweet pics and vids im day tripping west wed and/or thurs.
Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #24566
Defaultgateway
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Laurel Forks

Video pieces from 21JUL13 ADV ride.

http://vimeo.com/70893795?utm_source...NzQ2MTY0NDU%3D
Defaultgateway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #24567
tg4360
Misfit Toy

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos View Post
I can't give any advice but I will quote the proper code section. 46.2-909. Riding on motorcycles, generally.

Every person operating a motorcycle, as defined in § 46.2-100 excluding three-wheeled vehicles, shall ride only upon the permanent seat attached to the motorcycle, and such operator shall not carry any other person. No other person shall ride on a motorcycle unless the motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person, in which event a passenger may ride on the permanent seat if designed for two persons, or on another seat firmly attached to the rear or side of the seat for the operator. If the motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person, it shall also be equipped with a footrest for the use of such passenger.

With that being said. Proper riding of a motorcycle when you are going over an obstacle is to raise your butt of the seat and shift your weight back onto the pegs. As you approach the obstacle you should give the bike gas to help the front end over the obstacle.

http://leg1.state.va.us/000/src.htm is full of info....
There's the letter of the law and there's legislative intent.

I suspect the intent is that the rider and any passenger sit on the seat and not on the handle bar or luggage or hanging on the side as you often see in other countries.

I don't think this precludes properly getting off the seat when warranted.

That said, there will always be some moronic cop willing to write you up for what HE thinks that the law is and not what it actually means.

TG
tg4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:03 AM   #24568
freaking RT
will golf for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg4360 View Post
There's the letter of the law and there's legislative intent.

I suspect the intent is that the rider and any passenger sit on the seat and not on the handle bar or luggage or hanging on the side as you often see in other countries.

I don't think this precludes properly getting off the seat when warranted.

That said, there will always be some moronic cop willing to write you up for what HE thinks that the law is and not what it actually means.

TG
and to get these things changed, I received this the other day. FYI

"This year’s Virginia Motorcycle Legislative Roundtable will be held on Sunday, September 8, 2013 at the Richmond Marriott which is located at 500 East Broad St., Richmond, VA 23219. This is where it has been held for the past few years.

The Legislative Roundtable is where Virginia Motorcyclists gather to discuss issues of importance to the motorcycling community, and to have input on the 2014 legislative agenda to be presented to the Virginia General Assembly by the Virginia Coalition of Motorcyclists.

The Roundtable will start at 12:00 P.M. and usually lasts three to four hours. If you can make it we would welcome your voice in deciding the issues that need to be addressed in 2014. In past years the Roundtable was the starting point for legislation such as Virginia’s red light bill, our prohibition against motorcycle only checkpoints, the modification of the Virginia Code to allow two two-wheeled motorcycles to travel abreast in a single lane, and legislation improving Virginia’s Rider Education Program.

If you are interested in attending we would welcome you around the table. If you are unable to attend but want to express your ideas, or if you have any questions concerning this year’s Virginia Motorcycle Legislative Roundtable, please do not hesitate to contact me.

On a final note, Tom McGrath’s Motorcycle Law Group is accepting nominations for this year’s Tom McGrath’s Leading Wheel Award. If you know of an individual who has made an outstanding effort to improve motorcycling or motorcycle safety, please send me their information and a description of their achievements. Nominees can be someone who has made a significant achievement to improve motorcycling, or someone who’s body of work over time has significantly benefited motorcycling or motorcycle safety. Remember that members of the Motorcycle Law Group are not eligible to receive the award.

As always, if you have any questions or comments concerning anything that I have written please do not hesitate to contact me.

Matt Danielson
McGrath & Danielson
Tom McGrath's Motorcycle Law Group
1-800-321-8968
Motorcyclelawgroup.com
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
Old 07-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #24569
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,346
I feel the love. No harm no foul. Been a while since you wrote a VUS LOL. I had to edit what I typed as I guess it came across wrong.

Quote:

TG

manganos screwed with this post 07-24-2013 at 02:06 PM
manganos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:34 PM   #24570
freaking RT
will golf for food

Quote:

TG
glad there are courts and good lawyers

It's a silly law. I tend to ignore it when on a long ride I'll stand up and stretch my legs. no biggie
IBA#10787

– Abraham Lincoln

-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map