Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #571
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by SERE Nate View Post
as a new bmw owner, this thread has been a great inspiration and I hope to be able to find some local airhead friends to help me as well.

did you lower the stock height of your bike?
thanks Nate:) I hope you find some good guys too! I'm a huge fan of the ABC. I did NOT lower the bike. I kind of like how tall it is:)

Quote:
did the wife ever ride the cb you got for her?
well, no. she rode it around a parking lot a few times before I dug into some maintenance, then I had my crash on the beemer and she lost interest in motorcycles and freeways. she also never really could get the hang of clutches and shifting, so the scooter is fantastic for her. surface street speeds and fully automatic. (that CL350 is currently for sale...)
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #572
SERE Nate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
I've been a big fan of the abc's since I was little but I think you're probably talking about something different.
SERE Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #573
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

the Airhead Beemer Club;)

http://www.airheads.org/

find your local group and meet some new people:)
www.blindfishz.com
Old 05-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #574
SERE Nate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
How do you like the bar end indicators? I've been thinking about doing the same thing...
SERE Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #575
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
How do you like the bar end indicators? I've been thinking about doing the same thing...
the bar end indicators I have are worthless in the daylight, but pretty nice at night. They were cheap and i gave them a try:)
www.blindfishz.com
Old 05-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #576
vma03
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
This thread is so awesome!

While looking for a different motorcycle marque, a friend pointed me to a Craigslist ad for a R65 LS (he already has 2 of them, so passed and bought a Harley instead). When I went to see the bike, the seller and I didn't quite see eye-to-eye (a different story entirely) and the better half didn't like the "modern" look of that bike, but she didn't balk at the price...so I took that as the go ahead to keeping looking.

So I continued to look on Craigslist and found a 78 R80 /7...well a few clicks later I found this thread, read the whole thing...and went to go pick up the bike the following day and then joined this forum. I know that everyone likes pictures, so I'll try to post them soon. It's the same "burnt" orange as the bikes I see on this thread.

I've had my M1 since I was 18, but never rode, so I guess you could say I'm having my mid-life crisis toy now.

Getting ready to start re-reading the thread as there is so much information on it...and I hope to find a good network of Airheads up in the Sacramento area for some tech sessions :)
vma03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #577
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by vma03 View Post
This thread is so awesome! ...found a 78 R80 /7...
excellent:) I hope you have as much fun as I've had!

There was a tech day up in Murrieta, CA this weekend, a good time was had by all:)

I rode up with Mike V. Since he and I had schedules to keep we just slabbed it all the way up. Surprisingly, I was fairly comfortable the whole ride. I had some burning in my shoulders and lower back toward the end of each leg (after about 60 miles each way), but not to bad, and with the long seat i was able to change positions to relieve strain as needed. I think i can build up to more miles:) the surprise pain was the ball of my left foot. I had moved my feet to rest the balls of my feet on the rearsets and the vibrations must have bruised me. admittedly, those rearsets have NO vibration isolation. Last night i actually cut up an old set of hand grips and slid them over the pegs. time will tell if it makes a difference...

I hope everyone had a great weekend:)
spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 05-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #578
Hearse
Project n'gagi

Oddometer: 146
subscribed to see this seat finished and the bike..

rocking job dude

\m/>

2006 Honda VTR1000f
1975 BMW R90/6
Hearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #579
KhaoSanMan
Airhead

Oddometer: 577
Haha! That's my pops working on his 78 RS. Nice photographs!
KhaoSanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #580
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

boy, it's been awhile since I last posted! I hope everyone is well:)

It's been a fairly eventful, and yet uneventful few months. there've been a few tech days:

At Avery's

Chuck has no idea what this part is for;)

The Socal Airheads like their liquid refreshments;)

At Andy's

Andy gave a GREAT welding demo/class

It's been great to see my airhead bretheren:)

I've been working on a bikini fairing...

started with a mini pos helmet

started melting lexan

the first bubble - FAIL

the second bubble was made after I did some reading about gravity bubbles

the third bubble turned out pretty darn good! I didn't bake the moisture out long enough, but the shape is alright.

fit to the helmet

mock it up and start making brackets

got some hardware and used up the last of my orange paint:)

I'm not sold on it. but I'm sticking with it for a while...

in not as good news, I stripped out the shaft drain hole. damn. the previous owner probably started it, but i definitely finished it:( sadly it was JUST before I was supposed to ride up to Born Free 5 with friends. So now i'm trying to decide if I want to helicoil it, oversize plug it, or expandable rubber plug it...

if anyone's interested, Born Free 5 was pretty interesting.

http://www.blindfishz.com/Topside/Bo...0158&k=RKfbKR5

I hope everyone is doing well:)
Spencer

www.blindfishz.com
Old 07-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #581
Werner1111
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Spencer - nice work on the bikini fairing. Very creative and cool concept with great execution. To my eye, it might look better if you could move it rearwards and down a bit. Just my 2 cents. Not sure if that is possible. Perhaps it is just the angle of the picture, but the location of the helmet/fairing in the mock-up, in the very first photo, looks a bit better to me. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Great bike show pics. Lots of creative work going on.

Dropped off the RS at Irv Seaver yesterday...
Werner1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #582
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner1111 View Post
Spencer - nice work on the bikini fairing. Very creative and cool concept with great execution. To my eye, it might look better if you could move it rearwards and down a bit. Just my 2 cents. Not sure if that is possible. Perhaps it is just the angle of the picture, but the location of the helmet/fairing in the mock-up, in the very first photo, looks a bit better to me. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Great bike show pics. Lots of creative work going on.

Dropped off the RS at Irv Seaver yesterday...
Andrew, i feel the EXACT same way about the bikini fairing. I have a few ideas for changing it that I'll get around to trying one of these days... Hey, good luck with the RS! keep me posted!

in other news...

I got a bee in my bonnet to get some work done on the bike.

got the bike on the lift (the hardest part! getting it balanced so i could take the centerstand and rear end off)

then 73 minutes later had the tail of the bike disassembled

I had my buddy Spinner finish welding my centerstand tang, a replacement tab on the subframe, and grind a few bits/tabs off the parts

Then off the powdercoat so they'll match the rest of the frame:) I should get them back on Friday.

Since the bike is now defunct, I decided it was time to motivate on my 1000cc upgrade!

pulled the right side. found a good amount of oil in the air tube and cylinder:( my buddy Jan says that if I switch to the reed style crank case valve i'll get a lot less.

I pulled the conrod, which i'm told was probably a mistake. oh well. it gave me a chance to buy a new tool - the triple square socket. I also need to determine if the wristpin bushing play is significant enough to need to get new bushings... I need to connect with someone that knows better than me. if they're ok, I'll install the conrod back as-is.

I have to order new gaskets and such tomorrow. I hope the bike will be back in business next week...

And while the bike is in a bunch of pieces I took care of that stripped shaft drain hole - i detailed my work HERE (thanks adv hive mind!)

I hope everyone is well!
Spencer

www.blindfishz.com
Old 07-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #583
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthic View Post
if they're ok, I'll install the conrod back as-is.
You're aware that you need to use new bolts, right? They stretch when torqued and are single use bolts.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #584
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
You're aware that you need to use new bolts, right? They stretch when torqued and are single use bolts.
I am aware of that, yes - it's part of the order I'll be placing:)
www.blindfishz.com
Old 07-23-2013, 11:57 PM   #585
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,080
So what do the conrod big end bearing shells look like? They can be a good indicator of oiling system health and can be replaced periodically.

--Bill