Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #3451
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikY. View Post
Well ErikY. would be happy to race for 8th place for the $$, but I didn't think Cal Crutchlow would
8 ppg (points per game) and 9th man (4th substitute after the starting 5) was a basketball reference meant to convey how "minor league" motorcycle racing salaries are in the context of other professional sports.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #3452
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037
I was hoping there would be an announcement about Cal's future right after Laguna but he seems to be implying that there'll be no concrete news before Indy.
I know the Ducati deal is big bucks but I thought these guys wanted to try to win, looking at Dovi's results show what will happen if he moves from Tech 3 to Ducati. We know what he can do on an M1 so for me the Honda would be the most interesting move to see. A shame if Bradl gets dropped though, he seems like a good guy.
Jurassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #3453
Closed Casket
Suicidal, but a nice guy.

Oddometer: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic View Post
I was hoping there would be an announcement about Cal's future right after Laguna but he seems to be implying that there'll be no concrete news before Indy.
I know the Ducati deal is big bucks but I thought these guys wanted to try to win, looking at Dovi's results show what will happen if he moves from Tech 3 to Ducati. We know what he can do on an M1 so for me the Honda would be the most interesting move to see. A shame if Bradl gets dropped though, he seems like a good guy.
^^^ This. Real racers should want to race to WIN, not for $$. I just don't get it. Ducati = dead end career, nothing more, nothing less.

2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
Closed Casket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #3454
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,497
Superbikeplanet.com Interview: Ben Spies

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #3455
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closed Casket View Post
^^^ This. Real racers should want to race to WIN, not for $$. I just don't get it. Ducati = dead end career, nothing more, nothing less.

Very idealistic but not real sensible.
When Cal is 50 years old are you going to feed Cal's kids (if he gets some), support his wife, pay his mortgage, etc....? It's easier for someone like VR or any past champion to take a pay cut and go for a more competitive bike over higher pay because they are already set but for someone like Cal he needs to put his pay higher on the list of priorities.

If you had to choose $500k (if that) for a very good chance at a handful of podiums per year. or $2.5m for a very small chance of any podiums which would you choose? Double those salaries for two years. He isn't likely to win a race either way even I would like him to do so.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #3456
HoneyBunz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,201
DucAudi needs to focus on bike development and listening to rider feedback. Throwing money at riders hasn't proved productive.
They have an excellent rider with Dovi.
Cal would add nothing above what Dovi can give to Ducati.

After Stoner pulled out of MotoGP, Ducati should have picked up Gabbarini as technical director. Stoner and Gabbarini would be helping Ducati instead of Honda.
Certified "Safe For Transmission" - NSA Inspector #47
HoneyBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #3457
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Very idealistic but not real sensible.
Hey, I'm sure Mr. Casket works for Glory and not a paycheck . . .

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #3458
ErikY.
Here, Now.

Oddometer: 2,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
8 ppg (points per game) and 9th man (4th substitute after the starting 5) was a basketball reference meant to convey how "minor league" motorcycle racing salaries are in the context of other professional sports.
Ah I see. Gotcha.
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #3459
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037
According to the BBC Sports website Bradl is rumoured to have re signed for HRC after his performance at Laguna. Cal has said himself that he's not staying at Tech 3 so it sounds increasingly likely that it's going to be Ducati. I really don't understand him if that's the case. Big paycheck for two seasons maybe but his stock is almost certain to fall over that two year period, he'd be better off staying put imho. I was really hoping for a move to Gresini or LCR to see what he could do on an RCV.
Jurassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #3460
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Re-do the math per eyeball and maybe it evens out?

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #3461
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkiwi View Post
Re-do the math per eyeball and maybe it evens out?
Probably (unfortunately) tilts waaaaaay in favor (detriment?) to the racers
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #3462
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBunz View Post
DucAudi needs to focus on bike development and listening to rider feedback. Throwing money at riders hasn't proved productive.
OTOH unless they deploy riders capable of circulating near the front they won't get the essential feedback from 10/10ths piloting. Comparatively slow test riders pronounce the bike great but then an alien gets on it and its junk. And to get riders of that stature to ride the truck ... you have to pay them premiums. Its a tough spot.

Not questioning Hayden's work ethic, but does he really push it to the scary limit any more? People at every level stagnate when they can't progress. This is why corporations periodically "spring clean" despite yeoman service.

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #3463
flars
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
wrt the corkscrew pass: Either Rossi overcooked (slightly) the corner because he was trying to keep MM behind him, or he had to change his line to keep from banging fairings. You can see Rossi messing with his line because MM was trying the old classic go wide on the left turn and you will have the inside line on the adjoining right turn pass, and Rossi was thinking 'Oh no you won't either'. MM would not have been able to get back on the track in front of Rossi, if Rossi had taken his normal line, but I don't think Vale could take his normal line with MM outside of him. Because of that Vale had to really scrub off speed to keep from getting into the drainage grates, and that gave MM the opening to come back on the track. These guys don't give up corners easily, and Rossi wasn't about to give that young whippersnapper an easy pass.
I would also bet VR and MM had a real laugh about it afterward.
flars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #3464
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,421
If you watch MM's onboard camera, it is impressive how he rode through the rough "off-road" section of the corkscrew.

Even more impressive is that just as he gets to the edge of the pavement, he is already back hard on the throttle, as if he had done it many times before.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #3465
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkiwi View Post

Not questioning Hayden's work ethic, but does he really push it to the scary limit any more? People at every level stagnate when they can't progress. This is why corporations periodically "spring clean" despite yeoman service.
Brings back memories of one of the very good Soupkasts that Krop just reposted the other day, Kenny Roberts Junior comparing himself to Hopper saying how he wasn't going to toss himself down the road like Hopper did just to impress the team bosses on a bike that was shit.
Kenney now goes to the gym daily and Hopper is still seeing his orthopedic surgeon on a regular basis.

You Can't Pin it more
dontlr is offline   Reply With Quote