ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #1
yokel84 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Going to Uwharrie..

Hi all, noob here.

Going to Uwharrie Nat. Forest to do some camping, riding, min-adventuring just to cut my teeth this weekend (probably just Tonight/Sat). I'm doing it on my recently acquired DR 650 replete with almost-worn-out, stock front trailwing, and shinko (705?) road-biased rear. I've got a ricor rear shock (which I don't know how to adjust), but it seems to be coping with my crappy gear loading sufficiently. Also, just added no-name handguards, case armor, and skid plate.

My friend just got a Tiger 800, but he doesn't have any PROTECTION yet on it, so he's a scared to go.

*Anybody going to be riding those trails tomorrow, and not mind schooling an off-roading noob?

*Also, which trails should I, uh, definitely avoid (and which ones should I try).

Thanks

-Yokel

Loaded, and ready to go. Weight distribution anybody?

Here's sorting through equipment:

yokel84 screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 09:20 AM
yokel84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
yokel84 OP
Adventurer

@ bojangles--preparing

Fueled on chicken biscuits, gps at the ready...

My gps:
Old 07-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,097
Unload before playing on the trails.....

Just saying..

That said, with a road tire, I wouldn't try and go up Daniel, and stay away from Kodak Rock, but there are bypasses for that.

Other than that, use some common sense, and try and avoid the mudholes. They will swallow a bike...
Old 07-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
yokel84 OP
Adventurer

Mudholes

Thanks for the tip about them. Probably would have dived right in! Just played on gravel roads for a bit, then found a campground and, yes, unloaded. Going to the in the dirt in the morning. Time to cook mac and cheese!
Old 07-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Have fun , I used to go there quite a bit on the jeep then I had a baby girl ......... one day Ill get back .
One of my Videos to give you an idea of the deepness of some of the puddles .This is a guy my friend invited a blazer on 44s .

Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
yokel84 OP
Adventurer

Back..

Wow, that was some serious mud! I didn't hit whatever trail that was. I was tapping up a post on my phone at the Eldorado outpost on Saturday, then my battery died and I got upset.

I took route 24/27 down from Raleigh, which was nice (much better than the burn up 64 on my way back to Pittsboro) but I did get lost a couple of times.. my gps let me down (see below).

First run of bike camping was a success. Having camped in Uwharrie before, I knew to apply inscet repellent right away. Super cheap cooking set up worked like a champ: can of sterno and boyscout mess kit.

Trails: they were muddy and VERY slippery. once I let some air out of my tires, things went a little better, but even the intermediate trails were a scary combo of steep and slippery in some places. I need to learn some better offroad riding techniques probably. My current method of slope descent involved balancing on my front wheel like a pogo stick and riding it down like a unicycle skidding the majority of the way. Luckily, this technique never led to a spill because, if it had, it would've been epic.

Thanks for the advice/ support. I stayed away from any trail with a D in its name. Love to go back when it's a little dryer.

pics:

Old 07-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
yokel84 OP
Adventurer

Testing new mobile posting capabilities. Tapatalk + photobucket. Is there a better way?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk HD
Old 09-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
late-apex
XR650L

Oddometer: 71
Ballsy cutting your teeth at Uhwarrie!
late-apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by late-apex View Post
+1. And remember during hunting season you are considered game that has no bag limits.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #10
yokel84 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by late-apex View Post
Ha, funny thing is, I didn't how ballsy it was when I went; but, yes, I almost died on several occasions on that trip. In short: I had a blast.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
yokel84 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
+1. And remember during hunting season you are considered game that has no bag limits.
This, is good to keep in mind. Since getting the DS, I've been finding that sometimes hunters don't agree with me on the proper use of our forest resources.