ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #61261
krumgrinder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpenner View Post
Honda decided not to put a side stand safety switch on this bike. This should not have been a big deal. I have disabled this feature on my KLR and I have never left the stand down.
I've cursed this feature on every bike I've owned, but since having had a similar close call as a teenager on my RD200, I've never been able to bring myself to disable it. To this day I still occasionally drop my bike in gear and cuss myself when it dies because of this feature, but am glad it did.
2002 Concours (sold)
krumgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #61262
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,703
Glad you are ok, Penner.

That's one ugly ass bike though (sorry). Every time I see a Goldwing I cringe, at that size / price / weight, I'd rather be pimping in a Miata or Mini convertible or something.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #61263
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Glad you are ok, Penner.

That's one ugly ass bike though (sorry). Every time I see a Goldwing I cringe, at that size / price / weight, I'd rather be pimping in a Miata or Mini convertible or something.
I am working on the world's ugliest bike collection. So far, I have a KLR that looks like it was made with recycled green army men toys and a Wingebago that looks like it was made with recycled dirty diapers.

How are you liking the Shadow? That is a bullet proof bike. The only weak link is the charging system due to the connector from the stator to the RR, which is easily fixed with a little soldering

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000
mpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #61264
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,554
I'd totally ride an old goldwing. I'm kicking myself for not buying a GL1200 interstate a buddy of mine offered me for 800 dollars a few years ago. Perfect shape, ran when parked, carbs drained, fuel off. My reasoning was i could fit 3 bikes in the footprint that it would have taken in the garage.

I've ridden a 1500 and was surprised how nimble the thing was. I was doing floorboard scraping tight u-turns in the first 5 minutes of riding it. It handled like shit in corners at speed, but the low speed manuverablity of it was pretty great considering it weighs nearly thrice what my daily rider does. It reminded me a lot of my old chevy Caprice station wagon going down the road.

Riding the 1500 and my 625 SMC back to back was hilarious. They could not be farther from each other.
Mgbgt89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #61265
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgbgt89 View Post
Riding the 1500 and my 625 SMC back to back was hilarious. They could not be farther from each other.
I'd say that is very accurate. I bought a new SMC 625 and only kept it about 6 months. It was awesome hard on the gas or hard on the brakes, but REALLY SUCKED, LIKE A CRAZY AMOUNT, at any steady speed. The Wings I have rode handled OK for their size, but they were best eating miles at a constant, steady, freeway speed.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #61266
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
I'd say that is very accurate. I bought a new SMC 625 and only kept it about 6 months. It was awesome hard on the gas or hard on the brakes, but REALLY SUCKED, LIKE A CRAZY AMOUNT, at any steady speed. The Wings I have rode handled OK for their size, but they were best eating miles at a constant, steady, freeway speed.

That is extremely accurate. The thing has Anti-cruise control. On the interstate i constantly have to vary it between 65 and 85 just to keep my eyes from falling out.

I got mine with 2800 on it, just rolled over 17K. It's smoothed out a ton since it was young. They say that's pretty common with them. It'll still rattle your teeth out at steady RPM's though. When i ride something else for a few days and get back on it, it takes a few minutes to adjust again. I do love the thing, despite how hard it is to live with. It's just wants to GOOOO. Or turn, or stop. It's like a hyperactive puppy.

Mgbgt89 screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 03:37 PM
Old 07-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #61267
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,703
Quote:
How are you liking the Shadow?
If you are referring to the picture Meredith posted a few days back, that was a joke.

It's some fucking thing mynamewasmud dragged home and chopped. I rode it around the block as a goof. My summary of it from that 2 minute ride: awful brakes, too goddamn loud, uncomfortable, why are my feet essentially resting on the front axle, hard to turn, vibrates horribly, too goddamn loud, I want to punch every mook who rides a bike like this and thinks it's actually cool right in their dick.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #61268
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,204
Finally got myself a bike that is both comfortable enough for the road and manageable on the tight trails. KLX250S.

Hopefully now when I see the 'hey we're going riding' posts I can join. Didn't trust myself with the KLR on trails, and the XRR wasn't bad but kind of big for me. Turned into a fight all of the time. XR's going up for sale in the next day or so, I'll put the link in my sig.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #61269
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgbgt89 View Post
Pretty saw I saw you riding in the swap meet. Did you have yellow dry bags strapped on the side of the dr?
Yeah that was me. I was probably in the middle of being a wuss through the mud. I need a new front tire.
My buddy was in one of the hare scrambles. He didn't even make it out of the MX track before his bike seized.
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #61270
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,545
amusing craigslist ad:

http://onslow.craigslist.org/mcy/3920072458.html

and picture:

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:17 AM   #61271
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonawesome View Post
Yeah that was me. I was probably in the middle of being a wuss through the mud. I need a new front tire.
My buddy was in one of the hare scrambles. He didn't even make it out of the MX track before his bike seized.
My girlfriend was getting so pissed at me for taking her through every single mudhole i could find. The XL hooks up great with a passenger on the back.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:25 AM   #61272
mpenner
Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
If you are referring to the picture Meredith posted a few days back, that was a joke.

It's some fucking thing mynamewasmud dragged home and chopped. I rode it around the block as a goof. My summary of it from that 2 minute ride: awful brakes, too goddamn loud, uncomfortable, why are my feet essentially resting on the front axle, hard to turn, vibrates horribly, too goddamn loud, I want to punch every mook who rides a bike like this and thinks it's actually cool right in their dick.
But it looked so "you"!

2001 KLR 650
2003 V-Strom DL1000
mpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #61273
mynamewasmud
Hillbilly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
But it looked so "you"!
He was gone for a half an hour and came back grinning with bugs in his teeth.

http://www.gizoogle.net/xfer.php?lin...dM9KPprbahrTFg
mynamewasmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #61274
steingar
higher life form

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
I took a Gold Wing off road last night. It is a poor tool for the job; limited ground clearance, quite heavy, not very nimble, and in my particular case only steers to the right.

The story is that my wife has been asking me to find a bike that she would be comfortable on as a passenger since she has a hard time getting on and off the Strom. A friend of mine was selling an '84 GL1200 Aspencade really cheap since the charging system was not working (a big deal on these bikes since it requires engine removal to replace the stator). I fixed it up and my wife has really enjoyed riding around on the back. It is really nice great that she will ride with me now, but I really don't enjoy the bike.
Sorry to hear about your travails. I bought one of those things for the exact same reason (Mrs. Steingar was less than enthusiastic about riding pillion on the sport bike) and have crashed mine as well. Only bike I ever crashed, and I crashed it twice. Big piggy thing. Nice ride though, and I do like it when the mercury drops. And for a huge piggy bike it is very easily ridden. And made right here in Ohio. And still working just fine after 30 years.

Unfortunately one of my crashes was into the back of an SUV, so the mounts on the fairing are all busted. I guess I have to add noisy to the list. Still, I rear-ended the thing and the bike is still going. Tough thing.
steingar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #61275
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=906014

Calling gonzo matt...