Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #46
Sidehil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
There should be a category for Deadhorse! 16 to 26 a night can't exactly recall. This site is way to big and really needs some help! Webman slice it up a pinch!
Sidehil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #47
ManLee OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Day 3

Day 3 June 23, 2013
Ashcroft, BC to Williams Lake, BC
231 Miles

This is probably one of the best days of riding in the whole trip. 231 miles through the Gang Ranch and it was almost all dirt.

Needle in a hay stack. Don't drop a clear chain lube straw in a pile of hay. You will not find it.

This is my Aunt. She has lived and worked on this ranch for over 40 years. She's been on adventures all over the world and I was happy to share a part of my adventure with her and she was excited for me.

First stop for the day was to check out my Cousin and his wife's Cabin. My dad spent a summer here a few years ago building it.

Leaving my cousins the road was muddy from last night rain. This stuff was SLICK!

Thankfully the mud did not last long.

Upper Hat Creek Road on our way to Pavillion.

I was happy now. We were on BigDogs route heading to the Gang Ranch

The Frazier River below.

Except for a guy we passed on a tractor we didn't see a soul here. My aunt said there was a post office and company store but it was Sunday and most likely closed so we just of cruised on through.

It was hot today so we were thankful to find a creek with some shade

We camped at a nice grassy campground just outside of Williams Lake. Our first stop was at the cold beer store and we met a fellow rider who told us where to camp and even offered his front yard if we wanted. Wish I could remember his name or had gotten a pic. You meet the nicest Canadians at the cold beer store.

Camp set up, mountain house meals brewing and we get hit with another thunderstorm. It seemed to be the norm for the first part of our trip.

ManLee screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 03:38 PM
ManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:41 PM   #48
ManLee OP
Adventurer

Gear Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarmacSurfer View Post
As a fellow 250 rider (tarmac)

What size duffle bags are those? Did you insert something at the bottom of the bag so it would keep its shape? (flat)

I can wait for the gear set up update..
The tail bag is the medium wolfman expedition. At first I thought it was too big but it allowed me to put a rubbermaid container in the bottom and it seemed easier to pack and close a partialy full medium bag than a completely stuffed small bag.

In one side bag I had my sleeping bag, big agnus mattress, small pack pillow, and all my clothes. The other bag had my tools, toiletries, gloves, hat warm gear and water. Stove axe, pump other camp gear and food went the tailbag.

I had a 3 gallon IMS tank and a 1.75 gallon rotopac that was usually empty. Other than the haul road and one other time the 3 gallon tank was enough. I also had a couple of MSR bottles for an emergency.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:39 AM   #49
5Chord
No Short-Term Memory

Oddometer: 1,037
Old 07-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #50
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Not to derail the thread, but I'd be interested in seeing that. These two were on my list. I'm happy with my WR, and I chose it for the reasons you mentioned. Just curious is all.
Posting this for whoever's interested, but take any comments over to the Youtube video itself so we don't derail this.

Great ride report so far!

2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #51
ZenRush
n00b

Oddometer: 3
ZenRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #52
HPTuner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Another WR250 fan here. Subscribed & great so far!
HPTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #53
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
Anyone have any idea what container that is? I would assume its cut down some?

That is an awesome idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManLee View Post
The tail bag is the medium wolfman expedition. At first I thought it was too big but it allowed me to put a rubbermaid container in the bottom and it seemed easier to pack and close a partialy full medium bag than a completely stuffed small bag.

In one side bag I had my sleeping bag, big agnus mattress, small pack pillow, and all my clothes. The other bag had my tools, toiletries, gloves, hat warm gear and water. Stove axe, pump other camp gear and food went the tailbag.

I had a 3 gallon IMS tank and a 1.75 gallon rotopac that was usually empty. Other than the haul road and one other time the 3 gallon tank was enough. I also had a couple of MSR bottles for an emergency.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #54
j-zome
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Fantastic Photos.

Great Shots! Thanks for sharing. I'm in.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #55
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
Enjoying the report too. I have WR250R and my wife has a CRF250L. We leave tomorrow to trailer to CO/UT and then ride the COBDR & UTBDR for 2 weeks.

After reading BigDog's report about AK, it got me interested in the WR250R and I'm loving it.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #56
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Bringing back Great memories!!! Great pics!

Thanks
Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #57
biker_gunner
2wheelsonly

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManLee View Post

The Frazier River below.

All I can say is WOW! The pics look amazing and I have to imagine you guys are having one hell of a time.
biker_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #58
wayne_l
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
you guys past me,headed north while I was headed south from dust to dawson ride..i laughed my butt off the 250 was lugging same bags my 650 was and I felt over loaded ..
wayne_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #59
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_l View Post
you guys past me,headed north while I was headed south from dust to dawson ride..i laughed my butt off the 250 was lugging same bags my 650 was and I felt over loaded ..
You have more stuff on your motorcycle than I have in my apartment...
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #60
ManLee OP
Adventurer

Day 4

Day 4 June 24, 2013
Williams Lake to Vanderhoof
206 Miles

Between Williams Lake and Quesnel we traveled a country road that followed the Frazier river but on the opposite side as the highway. It was recently resurfaced with a chip seal according to the project signs and may have previously been gravel. About 60 miles of grassy fields, pine forest and cattle.

I'm getting good at pictures on the fly.

After Quesnel we were back off the pavement. This road was heavily travelled with log trucks but most of it they kept watered down. It was wide and smooth and the trucks hauled ass. I followed an empty for quite a ways at 60MPH until we hit a dry section and the dust kicked up.

Out of the logging areas and back into cattle and farmland. The people who live out here are really in the middle of no where.

Getting hot dry and dusty. Rolling hills and pecker pole trees as far as the eye can see.

Not PC and I might get flamed by some but it was late in the afternoon, getting hot, there was no shade anywhere. Dean and I each had an extremely warm and foamy beer left from last night in our packs. It was the best warm beer I ever had. We were in the middle of nowhere at the intersection of 2 gravel roads and hadn't seen anyone for several hours. Apparently the road we were about to cross was the main road through the middle of nowhere because we saw about half dozen vehicles fly by after we cracked our beers. I suspect Canadians can smell a pilsner from miles away.

At the time I thought crossing the 1000 mile mark was significant so I took a pic of my GPS. Only 5205 miles to go.

We camped next to the city park on the river in Vanderhoof. Once again we get set up and a thunder storm rolls through.