ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
longdude17 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Need a hand with Iphone turn by turn directions

Ok, Im pretty frustrated right now so Ill admit I didnt search every post on here... I have a bike trip I want to make this friday and I cant seem to find any software for my I phone that fits my needs.

Im looking to simply create the route I want from A to B with the roads I want but I also want turn by turn directions so I dont have to look at a map BUT I want this on my I phone.

Is this even POSSIBLE?

I tried google maps and my maps, neither worked. I currently even downloaded the Harley davidson ride planner app, set up the route i want on my laptop and was able to pull it up on my i phone, but I dont understand how to start the route..

If some one could explain the harley ride planner or give me tip on a turn by turn software that I could listen to while I ride, Im all ears.

DE
longdude17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
seevtsaab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
I might be guilty of perpetuating obsolete info but:

Turn-by-Turn = route, you get what the GPS gives you (Native iPhone app actually seems OK in this regard).

Custom "route" you create = "Track". Track is a list of waypoints, trackpoints, gps coordinates, what have you.You can Create a custom route via google map, convert to gpx format (list of waypoints), import to iphone MotionX GPS app, flow the LINE on a MAP.
Preload map tiles while you have a fast data connection.

Big selling point of most GPS's and routing apps is how much smarter they are than you. Letting the you, the idiot customer interfere with the choice of routes - that's just not how it's done, mate.
seevtsaab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
Shunpiker Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Check out this thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=874100

It seems to be the best way found yet.

2013 V-Strom 650
Shunpiker Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #4
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
Crude alternative

I'm intrigued with the Dropbox/Navigon method, but haven't tried it yet.

Another crude method is to create iPhone book address entries for enough points to describe your route, then use any of the iPhone nav apps to get you to each point. I've done this before and even named the phone book entries "Point 1", "Point 2", etc.

It's certainly not elegant, but will work.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #5
Shunpiker Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
I just bought the Navigon app yesterday and found it pretty simple to create a route using the method/tools in the above referenced thread. I was going to test the turn-by-turn directions last night but didn't get to because I had a busted water line in my basement when I got home from work. I wasn't crazy about buying a nav app but for the purpose of drawing out my own routes and getting turn-by-turn, I think its a good way to go. Navigon does seem to be a nice app though.

2013 V-Strom 650
Shunpiker Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
SwissFreek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
There are some apps out there that let you do what you are asking. CoPilot Live is one that let's you drag your route like you would in google maps to recalculate the route the way you want it. They were one of the first Mac apps period along with Navigon back in the day. Has been improved over time. Last I used it, it was a little clunky but for number of features (such as that) it was tough to beat and I found the interface way better than the competition. Obviously it's easier on a big screen like the iPad but its doable on the iPhone, too.

I believe Sygic let's you put in via points. Thought that was something you could do wi Nvigon as well, maybe I'm mistaken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
SwissFreek is offline   Reply With Quote