Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 10:54 PM   #61
ManLee OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Rubbermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Anyone have any idea what container that is? I would assume its cut down some?

That is an awesome idea!
Here's what I used. They make several heights that have the same lid and all stack together. Any of them will work, just cut it down, drill some holes and make cuts down the sides so it goes in and out easy and will collapse a bit when you cinch it down.
ManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #62
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
As a fellow WR250R owner - I agree - this bike is a no-brainer. Might as well take the best 250cc dual-sport on the trip. A couple of days ago - I rode a friends DR650. Compared to my WR - it vibrated so much that my butt and hands were tingly after 5 minutes of riding. He also owned a KLR650 and said that DR was known for being one of the smoothest singles of the bunch. WTF?!? The DR also felt heavy, and a poor handler compared to the WR. Granted - it had much more torque. But my WR felt just as quick. When he tried it out he said he couldn't believe that it was a 250cc single in terms of power. He also owns a KLX250S. And noticed right away that the WR was much smoother than his DR. He immediately said he was going to look at purchasing a WR250R. He's been riding forever and has owned too many bikes to count.

With that said - I tip my hat to KLR650 and DR650 owners who have the stamina to tour on big singles. Ironically - based on my recent and admittedly limited experience with the DR650 - the WR250R is a much more civilized and suitable touring machine. I tour regularly on my WR250R and I don't think I'd have the stamina to tour on one of these big singles - the vibrations would be too much. The WR250R feels much more refined, handles much better, is much lighter in weight, is fuel-injected, and gets better fuel economy. It's funny though - because it's a 250 - many people immediately discount it. These people need to try one out. It may change their mind about small singles. It's not cheap though. But you get what you pay for.

BTW - the photos you've included a incredibly spectacular. What camera are you using?

Fantastic report so far. Keep it up!

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #63
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,102
I'm in too - Thanks for the tailbag idea. I have the exact same bag and thought it was too big as well.

I rode a KTM950 in the 2006 and 2010 Alcan5000 TSD Rally. I entered the 2014 event with my Yam WRR. Most of the riders will be on twins or large singles. They have been warning me away from my 250 as they think it's too small to keep up during the liasons and might not be able to stay ahead of the chase trucks. I have a KTM 690R I could ride, but I like that little Yamaha and I find it pretty comfortable for long distances on dirt roads.

We'll have 14 hour days and I typically cruise the liasons about 75mph. But the speed limit is 60, and the WRR is pretty happy at 65mph.

www.alcan5000.com and check out the itinerary.

So far the starting field looks like 18 cars and 49 motorcycles.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #64
Hennepinboy
Have battery will travel.

Oddometer: 446
We enjoyed talking to you guy at Coal Creek campground and again at Dead Horse.

My brother and I made it back home safely with no misshaps or breakdowns.

Curt R1200GSA
Ken Wee Strom
Old 07-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #65
vicster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
With that said - I tip my hat to KLR650 and DR650 owners who have the stamina to tour on big singles. Ironically - based on my recent and admittedly limited experience with the DR650 - the WR250R is a much more civilized and suitable touring machine. I tour regularly on my WR250R and I don't think I'd have the stamina to tour on one of these big singles - the vibrations would be too much.

Fantastic report so far. Keep it up!

Mike
Obviously there are variations between bikes, but touring on my personal DR requires no great stamina as mine is really smooth. For me, it came down to a choice between the WRR and the DR. I chose the DR for its air cooling, carb, and screw/locknut valve adjust. And I found it $1400 cheaper.

I agree, fantastic report!
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #66
ManLee OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennepinboy View Post

Curt R1200GSA
Ken Wee Strom

Good to hear. Funny how we leap frogged each other for a about 4 days and arrived at Deadhorse at almost the exact same time.

How was the Arctic tour?
Old 07-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #67
Sidehil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennepinboy View Post

Curt R1200GSA
Ken Wee Strom
It's was a very good time,well most of it. Really glad to meet everyone, you brothers were really good. you ever make to WA give me a call but I'm pulling my FJR to keep up!::::))))))
Sidehil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #68
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,237
Subscribed!

and already thinkin serious about replacing the big GS with a WR...but I'll miss those 700 mile days
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #69
RACINGTHESUN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
lovin this rr
RACINGTHESUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #70
rangecon1976
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I'm in

"I feel like a mosquito in a nudist camp, I know what I gotta do, I'm just not quite sure where to get started"!!
rangecon1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #71
BigKnobby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
Subscribed!

and already thinkin serious about replacing the big GS with a WR...but I'll miss those 700 mile days
Why do that? Get the WR and KEEP the GS. Best of both worlds, right?
Old 07-26-2013, 05:12 AM   #72
Hennepinboy
Have battery will travel.

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManLee View Post
Good to hear. Funny how we leap frogged each other for a about 4 days and arrived at Deadhorse at almost the exact same time.

How was the Arctic tour?

$49 to stand in ice water for 1 minute, glad we took the tour.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #73
ManLee OP
Adventurer

Day 5

Day 5 June 25, 2013
Vanderhoof, BC to Hyder, AK
380 miles

We woke up early to rain so we decided to just pack up quickly and get coffee and breakfast on the way out of town.

The campground attendants live on site and lock the gates at night so you cant leave until 7:00 AM. It was 6:30 and were weren't going to wait around in the rain. We are rebels so we snuck out on one of the trails behind camp that you can see in the picture. Had to ride out a gravel jogging path to get out of the park. You'd be surprised at how many people are jogging at 6:30 AM in Vanderhoof. I'm sure the authorities are still looking for us.

The original plan was to ride out of town on the highway for a bit then head into the hills and get back on the dirt. I was looking forward to this section because I had heard that it was "Lousy with bears" even my GPS said so. The more we rode the harder it rained and the surrounding hills looked completely socked in. Ultimately we decided just to stay on the road and head north until we got out of the rain.

300 miles later it stopped raining and we just kept going until Hyder.

We got rooms at the Sealaska Inn. Notice I said rooms. We were already sick of each other. Not really, they were only $65 and everything we had was wet from packing up and riding in the rain so it was nice to have extra space.

After a mountain house meal jet boiled in the room we headed to the bar. The guy on the left we had run into in Smithers BC at a McDonalds. He was in the process of riding his Airhead GS from back east where he was from to Anchorage where he now lived. We saw him a bunch of times on the road so it was fitting that we'd run into him in the bar in hyder. Nice guy, cant remember if he's on here or not but maybe he'll chime in.

Dean got "Hyderized"

That's it for Day 5. More words than pics but once my tank bag started to soak through I put all the electronics in a dry bag. Tomorrow we will visit the Salmon Glacier.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #74
Sidehil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I get your camera first next time::)))))
Sidehil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #75
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManLee View Post

After a mountain house meal jet boiled in the room we headed to the bar. The guy on the left we had run into in Smithers BC at a McDonalds. He was in the process of riding his Airhead GS from back east where he was from to Anchorage where he now lived. We saw him a bunch of times on the road so it was fitting that we'd run into him in the bar in hyder. Nice guy, cant remember if he's on here or not but maybe he'll chime in.
Hey, I think that's Brian! Good guy, I was supposed to be riding up there with him this month. Of course that was more than a year ago, since then he just decided to move up there and I went and knocked up my wife and had to postpone the trip .

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote