User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #16
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 1,064
Good contributions... valuable info.

The high prices for all the tire options force some cost-performance-longevity. BTW, I'd have bought my Michelins from RYP had he stocked them.

Dunlops are OK tires, but regarding tires, while I may not be Tony Bou, I don't think better stuff is somehow above my station. If I adopted an above-my-station attitude, I'd be on a vintage bike. My last bike was a 280 Econo, because that's what I could afford at the time, but it turned out to be one of my sweetest rides ever. I hope the 300 Raga will turn out to impress me even more. Maybe my Econo bike was a Dunlop 803 analog, but it came with Michelins!

Ideally, I'd have two wheel sets, run practice tires, and reserve the best for competition. But two wheel sets are a reality in some parallel universe.

motobene screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 07:40 AM
motobene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #17
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

I mounted the new Michelin Trials Comp front tire on a front wheel I took 2 hours to true. Rim ran really true. Then I mounted the tire. The bead ran dead-on true... but what's this? A side-to-side waviness in the tread?
A first defective Michelin! Works OK slow, but when I go down the road in 6th I feel it in the front end as a wavy pulsing. Sucks!

I think I'll buy an X-Lite front tire to check that out and put this wavy one on another bike.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #18
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,466
The Michelins used to have the yellow dot to align with the valve stem.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #19
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
The Michelins used to have the yellow dot to align with the valve stem.
Perhaps the yellow dot assumed a tubeless scenario? Trials front tires have all reverted to tube type, and the rim lock throws dynamic balance for a loop. Might as well imprint an un smiley face on the tire! Good thing we don't road race!

The X-Lite front tire is on the way. Maybe Lance will want the slightly laterally wiggly new Trials Comp because he isn't as so machine sensitive and picky as me.

So I'll end up sticking with Michelin... with Trials Comp rear and X-Lite front on the Raga (assuming the coming front tire runs true). I went with the older design on the rear because it reportedly is just a bit tougher in the sidewall, though it also gives up a tad to traction due to the slightly stiffer sidewall.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #20
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Almost all tires have the balancing dot. The tire sounds like it was stacked wrong or had other damage along the way. It is strange for a Michelin.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #21
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 632
It's good to have an engineer in the conversation.

I have a DR650 for travel, an old KTM for dirt, a trials bike. All have rim locks, all have more or less true rims, all have wandery treads. Kendas on the DR are noticeably truer than knobby tires, but I've never balanced a wheel on a motorcycle.

The trials bike has a lively front wheel, but except at Ute Cup I never thought to worry about it. My bikes have such an unpredictable pilot that I've always focussed on that....
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #22
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

The old Sherpa T that I`ve ridden lately has balanced wheels front and rear!
Old 07-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #23
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
The Pirelli MT43 is the onlt DOT Trials tire I know of that will last at speed on a dual purpose bike.

I use the Dunlop Trials tubliss on my 200XCW with great results.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #24
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
My trials bike came with D803s in good shape and I haven't worn them out yet. I'm happy with performance and have not had any flats.

I've been told that the ultra-light Michelin tires are easy to slice/damage/flat in rocky stuff and saw a few fail at the ryan young class. Probably worth it for weight savings to a really serious competitor. To a ham-fisted type like me who's likely to plow rather than waltz through rock sections, they'd be trouble I think.

MT43s are great "trials" tires to run on dirt bikes. I definitely wouldn't run them on an actual trials bike. Much too hard and stiff (bias ply).

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #25
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegraydog View Post
It's good to have an engineer in the conversation.

All have rim locks, all have more or less true rims, all have wandery treads. ....
The issue with my new Michelin Trials Comp and wandering tread was not from the rim lock. The carcass was very true running in the rim, which was refreshing because some times those damned beads just refuse to run true! The wandering in my one fluke tire wasn't until the outer row of knobs to the center rows.

Now I've got the Michelin Lite front. It'll go on after I do the engine work.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #26
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Ultra-light Michelin tires are easy to slice/damage/flat in rocky stuff and saw a few fail at the ryan young class.
That's why this time around I went with at most the Lite front. What's interesting is the weight savings is not that great over the previous design. I'll weight the fronts when I swap them. be surprised if it was more than 5-10% difference.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #27
wind pusher
WIND PUSHER

Oddometer: 27
trs

Go Shinkos for meee
wind pusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #28
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
When the tires wear out, I get a new bike.

Now that I ride more and have less money, I may actually have to think about tires. I doubt I will wear them out so much as they will age into something that is unusable.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #29
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 632
Hey Bronco, what we do is raid Dooley's tire pile. He's a tire snot and tosses them after one trip around the mountain. Other people get a year out of the discard...
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote