ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > EMEA
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #16
DirtyADV OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
DirtyADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: SWEDEN, Skellefteċ
Oddometer: 1,999
Thanks again, another question will there be any problem using a normal VISA card to get cash out of ATMs?

/Johan
__________________
Have changed name, was previously Dirty950

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:32 AM   #17
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Moscow, Russia
Oddometer: 1,140
generally should be OK, but you should bring a second card issued by a different bank, etc. just in case you have a problem with one.
__________________
Adventure is just another word for poor planning.
http://www.motoreiter.com
motoreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:26 AM   #18
DirtyADV OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
DirtyADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: SWEDEN, Skellefteċ
Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter View Post
generally should be OK, but you should bring a second card issued by a different bank, etc. just in case you have a problem with one.
Thanks again.

Used to have a backup card with me when traveling alone, but this time its 4 of us so several cards to choose from.

Not sure but sounded like one of the guys was going to bring a little cash also.

We will meet up tomorrow evening to try to finalize the travel plans.

And cause of trouble with the wrong information on the vouchers from the russian hotels the visas are delayed to the point we have to get a guy flying them up from stockholm to be here in time.

Lets just hope the russian embassy have it all worked out by the time we are promised.

/Johan
__________________
Have changed name, was previously Dirty950

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #19
randel
Gnarly Adventurer
 
randel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Oddometer: 315
It could be easier to exchange your money before your trip and not to count on ATM-s. Its much faster to pay cash usually.
__________________
950SuperEnduroR
Beyond clouds 2011
Beyond arctic circle 2010
randel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:42 AM   #20
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Moscow, Russia
Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by randel View Post
It could be easier to exchange your money before your trip and not to count on ATM-s. Its much faster to pay cash usually.
Not so sure, I don't like to carry thousands of dollars around on me.

Bring a few hundred dollars/euros cash, but there is really no shortage of ATMs in any Russian city. Out in the villages/countryside they are much rarer, if not non-existent.
__________________
Adventure is just another word for poor planning.
http://www.motoreiter.com
motoreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #21
DirtyADV OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
DirtyADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: SWEDEN, Skellefteċ
Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by randel View Post
It could be easier to exchange your money before your trip and not to count on ATM-s. Its much faster to pay cash usually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter View Post
Not so sure, I don't like to carry thousands of dollars around on me.

Bring a few hundred dollars/euros cash, but there is really no shortage of ATMs in any Russian city. Out in the villages/countryside they are much rarer, if not non-existent.
Thanks for the info.

Sound like we will pass a place that should be able to exchange on the way there so we will see if its possible to have a smaller amount in cash and use an ATM when/if needed.

Will only be a few days in Russia and the hotels have already been paid for so should not be that much expenses.

Have another question also, hope there is no need for any info about emergency numbers but better safe then sorry.

Do russia have any emergency help? Like 112 in europe and 911 in the US?

What is it? And is there any chance they speak any english if calling?

Will also try to look up this info online and update here what I find but if anyone sees it and know please fill in.

Cheers!

EDIT: Seems like they introduced a 112 number in 2011 but if there is any chance of getting anywhere in english I can not find any information about =/

/Johan
__________________
Have changed name, was previously Dirty950

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)

DirtyADV screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 01:43 PM
DirtyADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #22
WimDH
Adventurer
 
WimDH's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Dendermonde, Belgium
Oddometer: 89
money money money

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyADV View Post
Thanks again, another question will there be any problem using a normal VISA card to get cash out of ATMs?

/Johan
I heard that shouldn't be a problem. But AFAIK, you'll need to get some rubles at the border.

Don't put the money in your wallet, in case you need to bribe the police (don't know if that's still the case these days) they can't see the large amounts of cash, and make their eyes twinkle

I'm planning a trip from Belgium to Norway, then via Murmansk to Saint-Petersburg back to Belgium. It should happen in 2015...
__________________
Cheers!
Wim

When your only tool is a hammer, all problems start looking like nails.
A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
WimDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #23
DirtyADV OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
DirtyADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: SWEDEN, Skellefteċ
Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by WimDH View Post
I heard that shouldn't be a problem. But AFAIK, you'll need to get some rubles at the border.

Don't put the money in your wallet, in case you need to bribe the police (don't know if that's still the case these days) they can't see the large amounts of cash, and make their eyes twinkle

I'm planning a trip from Belgium to Norway, then via Murmansk to Saint-Petersburg back to Belgium. It should happen in 2015...
Plan is to stop by a Forex place on the way to have some cash with us.

Not sure how the others feel but I would go with not paying any bribes even if it would take longer to cross the border.

Even if it takes a few hours there should not be any problems to manage getting to the hotel in time.

But might be good to prepare for that option if we go with it to speed things up.

That is what alot of people do skip Sweden ...cant blame them Norway is gorgeous, expensive tho!

Thanks

/Johan
__________________
Have changed name, was previously Dirty950

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #24
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Moscow, Russia
Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyADV View Post
Not sure how the others feel but I would go with not paying any bribes even if it would take longer to cross the border.
you've got the totally wrong impression, there won't be any bribing going on at the border; I have crossed several times in the last five years at a variety of crossing points and the border folks are all very professional.

just have your documents in order and be prepared for a bit of bureaucracy/waiting around. just forget most of what you've heard about bribery on the roads in russia, most of it is bullshit or outdated stories from the nineties.
__________________
Adventure is just another word for poor planning.
http://www.motoreiter.com
motoreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #25
WimDH
Adventurer
 
WimDH's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Dendermonde, Belgium
Oddometer: 89
bribing

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter View Post
you've got the totally wrong impression, there won't be any bribing going on at the border; I have crossed several times in the last five years at a variety of crossing points and the border folks are all very professional.

just have your documents in order and be prepared for a bit of bureaucracy/waiting around. just forget most of what you've heard about bribery on the roads in russia, most of it is bullshit or outdated stories from the nineties.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I heard from a russian co-worker that the traffic police is quite corrupt. Indeed, at the border, there shouldn't be a problem, but it you are caught speeding, you might... This is what I heard at work , I'm aware that's not necessarily true...
__________________
Cheers!
Wim

When your only tool is a hammer, all problems start looking like nails.
A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
WimDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #26
DirtyADV OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
DirtyADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: SWEDEN, Skellefteċ
Oddometer: 1,999
We are in Russia by now, leaving Kandalaksha today heading for Murmansk.

Border went OK, took closer to 2 hours getting through tho, plenty of papers and stamps!

Getting hold of a postcard was hard will try again in Murmansk.

/Johan
__________________
Have changed name, was previously Dirty950

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #27
WimDH
Adventurer
 
WimDH's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Dendermonde, Belgium
Oddometer: 89
good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyADV View Post
We are in Russia by now, leaving Kandalaksha today heading for Murmansk.

Border went OK, took closer to 2 hours getting through tho, plenty of papers and stamps!

Getting hold of a postcard was hard will try again in Murmansk.

/Johan
Hey Johan,

Glad all is OK there..

How was you hotel? Can you share the name of the hotel and the quality?
I'm also planning a stop in Kandalaksha..


Drive safe.
__________________
Cheers!
Wim

When your only tool is a hammer, all problems start looking like nails.
A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
WimDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:35 AM   #28
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Moscow, Russia
Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by WimDH View Post
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I heard from a russian co-worker that the traffic police is quite corrupt...it you are caught speeding, you might...
Well if you're caught speeding you are generally welcome to pay the official fine, but often the police will allow you to settle matters on the spot. I'd actually call it more of a convenience than a problem, but the best solution is not to speed. Most important DO NOT pass where there is solid line, they love nailing drivers for that...
__________________
Adventure is just another word for poor planning.
http://www.motoreiter.com
motoreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:40 AM   #29
WimDH
Adventurer
 
WimDH's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Dendermonde, Belgium
Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter View Post
Well if you're caught speeding you are generally welcome to pay the official fine, but often the police will allow you to settle matters on the spot. I'd actually call it more of a convenience than a problem, but the best solution is not to speed. Most important DO NOT pass where there is solid line, they love nailing drivers for that...
Allright

Thanks for the warning, I'll keep it in mind when I'm riding over there...
__________________
Cheers!
Wim

When your only tool is a hammer, all problems start looking like nails.
A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.
WimDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #30
DirtyADV OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
DirtyADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: SWEDEN, Skellefteċ
Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by WimDH View Post
Hey Johan,

Glad all is OK there..

How was you hotel? Can you share the name of the hotel and the quality?
I'm also planning a stop in Kandalaksha..


Drive safe.
Not entirely sure about the name, but its a few kms outside of Kandalaksha on the road towards Umba, you go up a hill and a little more then halfway up the hill there is an exit to the right.

Not alot of people since its more of a ski place with a slope and a lift so low season for them when its motorcycle season:



A quite big log building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter View Post
Well if you're caught speeding you are generally welcome to pay the official fine, but often the police will allow you to settle matters on the spot. I'd actually call it more of a convenience than a problem, but the best solution is not to speed. Most important DO NOT pass where there is solid line, they love nailing drivers for that...
Yes they are very anal about the solid lines even if there is a military convoy moving at walking pace russian drivers will wait until the solid line ends before passing ....we didnt wait, well some passed on the wrong side when there was a great gravel area big enough but more on that later.

No problems at any time with any police for us at least.

Back home by now and have written some on the blog.

More once I have worked through the 500GB of videos.

/Johan
__________________
Have changed name, was previously Dirty950

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014