ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #241
Dearnla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepsych View Post
I could not find any discussion of oil changes on the new engine. Does it still take removing the fuel tanks, side of fairing, and crossmember? (Yes, my browser WAS to sucky to find the search term).

BG
No, it involves handing your credit card to a dealer

Seriously, no none of the above.
Dearnla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #242
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,130
Danny,
Thanks for the great pics and post about the Great Basin. I quoted the post on the GL vendor thread with a link back here. Such a sweet bike and guys in the US have to read about it instead of ride one... Soon enough we'll get ours!
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #243
Two Tigers
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Was that a straight answer mate? I think you said yeah good idea!

And are you holding out on us??? A little birdy tells me that you may have a new exhaust in your possession.........

QUOTE=Burren Rider;21920909]G'Day Craig,

The benefits are probably less obvious for road riding. The standard gear ratio's seem to line up better with our speed limits using the smaller front cog though (ie. I find 4th usable around town and 6th comfortable on the open road).[/QUOTE]
Two Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #244
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigem View Post
What did theB&B bashplate end up costing mate? KTM Newey can supply a genuine for under $400.
$350. The B & B is solid, Australian made and available so I reckon it is a good option for Aussie riders.

Rear mounting bracket

Front mounting bracket

If you don't need one right now, I think Joe Brazier is working on a Rallye style plate at the moment that will give even more protection for the engine.
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #245
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepsych View Post
I could not find any discussion of oil changes on the new engine. Does it still take removing the fuel tanks, side of fairing, and crossmember? (Yes, my browser WAS to sucky to find the search term).

BG
G'Day BG,

I got the dealer to do the first service (to keep the warranty in tact) but it looks to be a more straight forward process that doesn't necessitate the removal of tanks and fairing.

Overall the bike seems pretty good to work on so far. My mechanical skills are not what you would call extensive but, with the exception of the first service, I have managed to tinker away in the shed and get things working the way I want them to.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #246
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Tigers View Post
Was that a straight answer mate? I think you said yeah good idea!
Yes & No . Putting it more directly, I don't see a major benefit for road riding. It's not a bad change, just not as beneficial as it is for dirt work.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #247
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Tigers View Post
And are you holding out on us??? A little birdy tells me that you may have a new exhaust in your possession.........
You mean this.

The Aussie importer, Rod at MotoToys, happened to be at the the Wings laboratory when the first one rolled off the line so he smuggled it back in his luggage . As the first on his pre-order list, I dropped the funds into his account and it turned up in the mail this week. I was forced to sit there looking at it all day until late at night, when work was finally done and the family was in bed, I migrated to the shed.

Curiosity got the better of me once it was fitted up so I fired the bike up in the shed and was rewarded with a primal rumble. Grinning like an idiot, I slipped on a helmet, idled down the road to a dirt track and let rip.

Oh my goodness, this thing sounds pleasing. Or words to that effect rolled around inside my brain as the addiction set in. I locked the rear brake into the next corner, opened up the throttle and the midnight paddocks echo'd to the sound of a V-Twin symphony and scattering of loose gravel. Twenty minutes later I returned to the shed and sat on a milk crate beside an idling bike. By now all sense of social responsibility went out the window, the baffle was extracted (in under 30 seconds) and I disappeared into the night again.

The difference in volume wasn't pronounced but it certainly had more of an edge to it with the baffle out. For longer trips the baffle may be the best compromise between sound and fatigue but in the early hours of the morning on a deserted dirt road, there is nothing quite like the roar of a bung-free V-Twin throwing bulk horsepower at a spinning rear tyre .
Old 07-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #248
speed_racer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
Danny,
Thanks for the great pics and post about the Great Basin. I quoted the post on the GL vendor thread with a link back here. Such a sweet bike and guys in the US have to read about it instead of ride one... Soon enough we'll get ours!
this is a first! let me tell you.. you guys in the US nearly ALWAYS end up with stuff before we do in Oz.. and usually about 6 to 12 months before we do..
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #249
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider View Post
I was forced to sit there looking at it all day until late at night, when work was finally done and the family was in bed
I guess that was a very hard time

Quote:
Curiosity got the better of me once it was fitted up so I fired the bike up in the shed and was rewarded with a primal rumble. Grinning like an idiot, I slipped on a helmet, idled down the road to a dirt track and let rip.

Quote:
By now all sense of social responsibility went out the window, the baffle was extracted

It looks AWESOME man. I fully understand your -great- writing, happened to me when I got wings for my 990.
Pics sucks, as usual.
...would you explain the glowing?

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #250
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,182
Is that the std version?
I've ordered the short.
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #251
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti View Post
...would you explain the glowing?
G'Day Goti,

Nothing to worry about, just me playing around with remote flashes for effect (ie. I thought it looked cool).
Old 07-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #252
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA View Post
Is that the std version?
I've ordered the short.
G'Day,

Yeah, that is the standard one.

A few daylight photo's. Build quality looks good and the carbon pieces are very trick.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #253
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Oddometer: 18,756
Looks great! If the new can lets it breathe more easily and gets rid of the cat is the heat blast significantly reduced now?

And just in case anyone on this thread isn't also on the other thread... Link

Bonsai Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #254
Algarve Nick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
This probably sounds superficial but, although I want to really like the 1190, I think the 990 was so much better looking, especially with the high front mudguard. Does anyone agree?
Algarve Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #255
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,545
Thumb

Quote:
G'Day,

Yeah, that is the standard one.

A few daylight photo's. Build quality looks good and the carbon pieces are very trick.

Looking good mate, I think the Wings is the way to go, cant decide on standard or shorty at the moment. I like the B&B bashplate and the price, just waiting on what the 'special' price on a KTM plate comes back at!

Just got told genuine tankbag is still 7 weeks away?

Will be fitting the Radguard to mine later on this arvo.
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote