User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,099
tribulations of a trials noob

picked up my first ever proper trials bike today. a mate has two shercos and invited me over yesterday to learn some basic trials techniques. i've been trying to prepare by working a lot of balancing and cleaning technical sections on dirt rides with the FE570 which hopefully has helped a bit.

impressions from yesterday? unbelievably different style of riding, i kept reverting to enduro habits and hitting things too fast, or relying on throttle instead of finesse to get over things. might need a sedative on my first few rides.

i was totally out of my depth and had arm pump constantly due to the death grip. hopefully can relax as i get to ride my own sherco and learn the proper techniques. then the legs started to go and i was itching for a seat so i could relax on transport sections. this may partly be due to being way too tall at 6 foot five, so some one inch risers will be added fast.

will have to improve the fitness. apart from the death grip, i found it much harder work than a gnarly dirt ride and was taking constant rest breaks. i assume i'll either need to ride trials often or find some other exercises.

i thought i was okay at clutch slipping and subtle brake use but felt like a total novice again. hopefully getting the hang of a trials bike will have spin offs for dirt riding too.

the video below will be boring as bat shit to any experienced rider, but hoping i can compare it vids of how it should be done, and maybe even get tips from anyone watching it. keen to learn.....

Old 07-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
Bent_boot42
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Welcome to the dark side.

I remember that exhausted-after-20min feeling when I first started.

Trials will for sure make you a WAY better rider

Lets see some pics of your new Sherco!!
Bent_boot42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

already put some up on a thread i started last week about known issues with the shercos. but since you ask, here are a few more hot of the digital camera this morning.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,263
Make darn sure you drink plenty of water during ride. Arm pump leads me to cramps pretty fast.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
J10on4ds
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
It's so hard to get out of the faster makes difficult things easier mode. Yea it works, but convincing yourself you don't have to go fast on a trials bike is where the fun is. It definitely is a workout. Watching your video makes me realize how much I want another one.

Thanks for the video, I enjoyed it.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,509
Welcome to the world of Trials, B1.
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

thanks nev, think i'm going to have a ball. although might wear knee braces next time, bit of a sore knee today as i must have hyperextended somewhere yesterday.

you are right about the hydration, Sting32. didn't bother with the kamelback as i figured we were only mucking around in the next door property. but was sweating non-stop on a cool day for two hours.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:59 AM   #8
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,958
Nice vid, B1. Makes me even more anxious to get mine out there.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
B1 OP
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J10on4ds View Post
It's so hard to get out of the faster makes difficult things easier mode. Yea it works, but convincing yourself you don't have to go fast on a trials bike is where the fun is. It definitely is a workout.
you're not wrong. this is the guy who lent me his spare bike. he looks way more relaxed and in control over the same stuff. and just laughed every time i mentioned how buggered i was. he didn't even break a sweat.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,760
That looks like some fun practice obstacles! Nice work!!