ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #4051
Chazzard
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Oakland
Oddometer: 10
Find anyone yet? I'll do it with you.. I've been looking forward to this for years. I made it through the LAB2V last year without getting lost.. 200 miles sounds like it'd be a fun day of kicking around.

I don't have a regular riding buddies, their all chasing girls and nesting or they don't race off road or ride dual sport..



Quote:
Originally Posted by tc339 View Post
Is anyone planning to do the Ride Reno 200 in September? I'm thinking about signing up but would be hitting it solo, which I would rather not do. Just trying to see if there are any other solo guys wanting someone to ride it with or anyone who is cool with me tagging along.

All my riding buddies ride sport touring bikes, so I'm trying to make some friends in the Adventure department.
Chazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #4052
y0y02369
Studly Adventurer
 
y0y02369's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Bay Area
Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc339 View Post
Is anyone planning to do the Ride Reno 200 in September? I'm thinking about signing up but would be hitting it solo, which I would rather not do. Just trying to see if there are any other solo guys wanting someone to ride it with or anyone who is cool with me tagging along.

All my riding buddies ride sport touring bikes, so I'm trying to make some friends in the Adventure department.

That sounds very, very tempting... I have never gone but looks awesome! I will see if i can get work off!
__________________
Drive?! Why?! Cars have too many wheels... just makes me feel... awkwardly stable... I'll ride thank you!v
Not knowing where you are going in part of the adventure! :loll
Daisy the Tiger and Frenchie
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #4053
Lonestar2112
B_nned Camp Parolee
 
Lonestar2112's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ventura County CA
Oddometer: 6,061
Thank you guys for your input on roads to take. Browneye and I invaded, took some pictures, ate some good food. Missed Alice's, bad timing. We met some nice people and yes we did have to deal with some cagers.

The maps are book marked for future adventures!
__________________
Where am I?
"I love the wild spaces above the border, takes some work to get here, ain’t a Starbucks run." jdrocks
F*CK Cancer
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #4054
L.A. Don
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 29
Hi all! I am staying in San Francisco for a few weeks and looking for ride suggestions... mostly interested in day trip stuff. Any suggestions on fun twisty and scenic roads would be appreciated!
__________________
'07 BMW R1200GS, '06 Yamaha R-1, '02 Hayabusa
L.A. Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #4055
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder
 
Just Paul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Fremont, Ca
Oddometer: 2,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc339 View Post
Is anyone planning to do the Ride Reno 200 in September? I'm thinking about signing up but would be hitting it solo, which I would rather not do. Just trying to see if there are any other solo guys wanting someone to ride it with or anyone who is cool with me tagging along.

All my riding buddies ride sport touring bikes, so I'm trying to make some friends in the Adventure department.
Reno area riding is awesome and I would go but I hate rollchart rides. I am GPS all the way now days
__________________
Honda 450X (plated)
KTM Adventure S
Paul's SPOT TRACKER

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #4056
hardpackrider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
hardpackrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: San Franciso, Bay Area, CA
Oddometer: 145
couple suggestions..

From SF... take hwy 280 south, to 92 west, to Skyline south.. to Alice's Restaurant, (Saturday 10 am hundred bikes there.). then south on skyline to hwy 9 south.. take to Santa Cruz.. Then back.. :-)

I am out n east bay, (so you'd gave to take 580 towards Livermore out of SF...but Mines Road is my favorite ride... (North Livermore road South off if 580...) make your way towards Lake Del Valle Regional Park, but turn left on Mines road befor you get there.. and great place Called the Junction..after 45min of beautiful roads.. meet the old husband/wife owners.. have a hamburger or pulled pork sandwich.. (and a cold beer if you dare..).. then on to Mt. Hamilton.. over the top.. (be careful tight turns and steep drops..), then down to 680... to get back to SF..

Fwy's blow around here, I'd suggest getting out at dawn, and getting out of town..

enjoy, be safe.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2012 GSA - xxx-black ________--- ____ -- .... .. . - . . .

– Every man dies. Not every man really lives. – William Wallace
– I'm working on that Bill... it's why I'm here. – hardpackrider
hardpackrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #4057
L.A. Don
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 29
Thanks Hardpack!
__________________
'07 BMW R1200GS, '06 Yamaha R-1, '02 Hayabusa
L.A. Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #4058
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D
 
Stinez's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Nor Cal
Oddometer: 45,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. Don View Post
Hi all! I am staying in San Francisco for a few weeks and looking for ride suggestions... mostly interested in day trip stuff. Any suggestions on fun twisty and scenic roads would be appreciated!
I'm in the east bay area and I'm somewhat tired of our limited roads. (Mines to Hamilton, Morgan Territory rd, Calaveras rd to Felton rd, are all worth doing)

I'd be looking at Google maps for ideas on south and north bay rides and trying to find roads like Soquel San Jose to Summit, Big Basin, and Skyline simply because it's got a few M/C folk gathering spots.(South) and if you head north there are some great M/C roads all over the Marin area including Mt. Tamalpias (Panamatic Hwy) Bolinas (Bolinas Fairfax rd) and that whole area for that matter.


But then that's just what I think and what I'd do.
__________________
.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.

Stinez screwed with this post 07-26-2013 at 12:04 PM
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #4059
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick
 
longtallsally's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: BACK IN THE STATES!!!
Oddometer: 3,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez View Post
I'm in the east bay area and I'm somewhat I'm tired of our limited roads. (Mines to Hamilton, Morgan Territory rd, Calaveras rd to Felton rd, are all worth doing)


I've been riding Mines and Calaveras for around 15 years and still see them as a challenge every time- but I can understand running out to the Junction and back getting old. If you head on out to Patterson or up and over Hamilton, there are another hundred or more miles of prime twisties. And if you go up and over Hamilton, that is a great segway over to the multitude of offerings on the Peninsula or south to Hollister and Airline and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinez
I'd be looking at Google maps for ideas on south and north bay rides and trying to find roads like Soquel San Jose to Summit, Big Basin, and Skyline simply because it's got a few M/C folk gathering spots.(South) and if you head north there are some great M/C roads all over the Marin area including Mt. Tamalpias (Panamatic Hwy) Bolinas (Bolinas Fairfax rd) and that whole area for that matter.


But then that's just what I think and what I'd do.
I can't stand the north bay but must concede there certainly are some nice roads up there. However you have to do them at insanely off hours to avoid deputy dog or the parade of moron cagers.
__________________
[quote=Insert witty comment here]
longtallsally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #4060
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D
 
Stinez's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Nor Cal
Oddometer: 45,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post


I've been riding Mines and Calaveras for around 15 years and still see them as a challenge every time- but I can understand running out to the Junction and back getting old. If you head on out to Patterson or up and over Hamilton, there are another hundred or more miles of prime twisties. And if you go up and over Hamilton, that is a great segway over to the multitude of offerings on the Peninsula or south to Hollister and Airline and all that.



I can't stand the north bay but must concede there certainly are some nice roads up there. However you have to do them at insanely off hours to avoid deputy dog or the parade of moron cagers.
I agree with both points.

Perhaps my reluctance to promote Mines Rd. comes from not only traveling that road since before I could drive (To get to the snow and friends lived up there.) but it includes the knowledge that most of the ranchers up there willingly hog the lane with the understanding that their ranch trucks are much bigger than any bike they'll encounter. And the knowledge that my boss (Who built the big bridge at ~mile 15) has replaced his fence and picked up bike parts more times than he can count.

The christening:

__________________
.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.

Stinez screwed with this post 07-26-2013 at 12:29 PM
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #4061
tc339
Adventurer
 
tc339's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Sonoma, California
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul View Post
Reno area riding is awesome and I would go but I hate rollchart rides. I am GPS all the way now days
I think it said its GPS tracked as well. So you will be able to do that I believe.
tc339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #4062
SFMCjohn
13
 
SFMCjohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA, 94102
Oddometer: 746
Bungee Brent's Backroad Bash #6

Hey BARRC,

Here's another dual-sport event, August 10-11, 2013, in Long Barn, on Hwy 108, easy-to-get-to-from-San-Francisco ...

Here's the Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/events/147536688765499/

Bungee Brent sez there'll be a great band there on Saturday Night ...

see you there,
-- SFMCjohn

__________________
caryandjohn.blog: Baja, KLR, & '73 Tiger Ride Reports
San Francisco Motorcycle Club, Est. 1904
A Small Wedding ADVenture; BAARC and Old's Cool Ride Reports Index
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #4063
SFMCjohn
13
 
SFMCjohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA, 94102
Oddometer: 746
Lake Alpine ...



Off to Lake Alpine ... Coffee first this morning at the Mercury Cafe, Octavia and Page ...

See you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
__________________
caryandjohn.blog: Baja, KLR, & '73 Tiger Ride Reports
San Francisco Motorcycle Club, Est. 1904
A Small Wedding ADVenture; BAARC and Old's Cool Ride Reports Index
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:36 AM   #4064
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer
 
WoodsChick's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Oakland, CA
Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
Off to Lake Alpine ... Coffee first this morning at the Mercury Cafe, Octavia and Page ...

See you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
I like that little place! I stop in there sometimes when I walk from the Fisherman's Wharf to Market and Octavia to meet Eric after work.

Have a great time and take lots of photos




WoodsChick
__________________
"Coffee first..."

______________________________
AMA, D36, BRC, CORVA, WMA, USA-ALL
WoodsChick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #4065
SFMCjohn
13
 
SFMCjohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA, 94102
Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsChick View Post
I like that little place! I stop in there sometimes when I walk from the Fisherman's Wharf to Market and Octavia to meet Eric after work.

Have a great time and take lots of photos
WoodsChick
Hey WC!
How funny it would have been to see you guys there!

We're having fun ...



Best to Eric!

See you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
__________________
caryandjohn.blog: Baja, KLR, & '73 Tiger Ride Reports
San Francisco Motorcycle Club, Est. 1904
A Small Wedding ADVenture; BAARC and Old's Cool Ride Reports Index
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014