User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
baloneyskin daddy OP
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,863
H2 decision

Well , after many years of indecision, a recent article in Motor Cyclist where a guy is pictured with a beautiful 72 H2 that he returned to use has prompted me to resurrect 1 or 2 of my own. I would like to return my 99% original 72 to the road but I love the sound of chambers and really don't want to start tearing things off this bike. I have most everything to put another bike together and do alittle modification to bring it into the modern age but at what cost and in reality what results.It will never perform even close to todays standards. I love the looks of the bike in stock trim but chambers are pure music. What should I do? Also ,no matter what I decide, at least 1 if not 2 of my cranks will need rebuilt just due to age and nonuse. From some of you're experiences, who is a respectable crank rebuilder,preferably in the Pa area,as I would like to meet them if possible.?
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:48 AM   #2
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,206
Try here, lots of great info from people who knows WAY more than most do.

http://triplescanada.proboards.com//FONT]
Old 07-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
Well , after many years of indecision, a recent article in Motor Cyclist where a guy is pictured with a beautiful 72 H2 that he returned to use has prompted me to resurrect 1 or 2 of my own. I would like to return my 99% original 72 to the road but I love the sound of chambers and really don't want to start tearing things off this bike. I have most everything to put another bike together and do alittle modification to bring it into the modern age but at what cost and in reality what results.It will never perform even close to todays standards. I love the looks of the bike in stock trim but chambers are pure music. What should I do? Also ,no matter what I decide, at least 1 if not 2 of my cranks will need rebuilt just due to age and nonuse. From some of you're experiences, who is a respectable crank rebuilder,preferably in the Pa area,as I would like to meet them if possible.?

If you like the sound of chambers, then feel free to fit them, but be aware that almost all of them will simply produce more noise, and little or nothing in the way of increased performance. Why not rebuild your bike 100% stock, and get the squish clearances, carburetion, and ignition, properly set up, which will result in a far nicer machine than one with disney chambers fitted?
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
baloneyskin daddy OP
bikaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
If you like the sound of chambers, then feel free to fit them, but be aware that almost all of them will simply produce more noise, and little or nothing in the way of increased performance. Why not rebuild your bike 100% stock, and get the squish clearances, carburetion, and ignition, properly set up, which will result in a far nicer machine than one with disney chambers fitted?
This is why I stated I might resurrect 2 bikes. My stocker is in great shape except I know the crankseals are shot.Hell,they were shot when it was my brothers bike in the 70s. I rode it briefly in 81 and knew it needed done but had too much else going on so it went into storage .I've owned and raced many H2s and have a built motor,carbs and pipes that I'd like to put on the road again but it will also need freshened up. Thus the search for a good source in my part of the world.and good chambers set up properly can make a big difference over the stock exhaust.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
B_C_Ries
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Fitting Chambers should take around an hour, if you have everything needed nearby and you don't take too many beer breaks, Most likely the chambers will require jetting adjustments to get the best performance, but once that is figured out they can be written down, I remember that re-jetting those old Mikunis wasn't that difficult,

I think you should have both stock pipes and chambers and change them back and forth depending on your mood. Have a nice little box with jets and notes as to which carb. setting work best.
B_C_Ries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #6
dan-c
Back

Oddometer: 13,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Wow, you are a veritable plethora of knowledge. Chambers will provide little or no increase in performance compared to the stock pipes? Bullshit
- In Memory of Amanda Cassady
dan-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
uranys
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
From some of you're experiences, who is a respectable crank rebuilder,preferably in the Pa area,as I would like to meet them if possible.?
I've had both 2t and 4t cranks done by mr. crankshaft in kentucky. He's done great work and turned them around quickly for reasonable prices. Give them a call and talk to Vince, he's the man.
uranys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-c View Post
Wow, you are a veritable plethora of knowledge. Chambers will provide little or no increase in performance compared to the stock pipes? Bullshit
Twin-troll trolls through all the two stroke threads spouting off like he is some kind of 2 stk guru. When in reality he is just an opinionated idiot.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
B_C_Ries
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
My Yamaha R5 did much better wheelies with chambers, so did my Suzuki GT-750
B_C_Ries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #10
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,261
Walms sell rolled cones for the H1 & H2 on the Kawasaki tipples Canada forum, they are called WTF's and work very nice.

I love my H1 for it's odd exhaust cadence and pure hooliganism but if I could only have 1 bike it would be a poor choice unless you never leave town.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 08:57 AM
anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
I know a guy in the Bay who redid my H2 emgine/crank after the old guy in the south closed shop... I only own a H2 & a S2 now after selling my KH250 and 69 H1... I personally dislike chambers with a passion: un tunable noisy pos (and one of my pal is doing the best 2 strokes pipes in SS!). I even bought ($$$) stock pipes for my H2. A better place to ralk triples is : http://www.kawi2strokes.com/forum/index.php
Prmurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #12
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prmurat View Post
I know a guy in the Bay who redid my H2 emgine/crank after the old guy in the south closed shop.[/URL]

Would that be Porshe Dave? I know he's in California somewhere and does great crank work on h1 & H2's

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #13
Prmurat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Yes that's him!
Prmurat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #14
baloneyskin daddy OP
bikaholic

I just got a frame and set of chambers back from being blasted and the frame looks good,the pipes look like swiss cheese. I may have to scrap them and use a set of custom chambers I had made for a dragbike in the 70s. They have huge center sections and small stingers compared to most over the counter sets.Sure wish I had a clue how to post pics.