ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #466
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurerideraus View Post
This morning I bent one of the 4 pins in my 78 and when I tried to bend it back it snapped off, damn.

But the unit still works??
What do you mean "it works"? It will work if you break them all off. Does it still power from external power from that plug which is all you really need like Emmbeedee said.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #467
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
There's one more you could break off for free.
If he does that, he'll become a serial killer!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #468
grahamfitter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Or Hunting Nema?
Old 07-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #469
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Never thought of that problem! Just make sure you dispose of them in a place where no one will ever find them.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:14 AM   #470
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Yes very true. I think the 78 should be a better 60/76 with more features and more capacity.

The 60/76 human interface is known by hundreds of my customers.

I do design space hardware and NASA would fire any contractor in a second who had two devices that do the same thing and intended to be operated by an astronaut on a space walk that had such different human interfaces.

A classic example: I was in a design review for the Airborn Laser, an anti missle weapon in a 747. Some airforce general took one look at the proposed control stick and said "is their any reason why you can't use a Game Controller stick? every one of our airmen have hundereds of hours practice with that design. Common sense is the best disign driver.
Your right on with with that countdown The only hope I have of Garmin pulling their heads out of their butts is if they realize we the consumers care.

Quote:
And I'm glad Garmin stopped making the 60 and 76 because the only reason people would prefer them is because they are familiar, having been the standard for quite a while. No other reason I can think of. And I've had many 60/76 units over the years. At least 7 that I can remember.
Emmbeedee you are often really helpful with software issues and I'm grateful for that. At the same time I do wonder if you are not employed by Garmin to help protect their image. That is just asinine to say the only reason people prefer the 60 over the 62 is that it familiar. For one, how does a serious dirt bike rider on a vibrating thumper even use the 62; it's not in the same category. Just like the 60, both my 62's screen shut down from vibration after 50 miles or so. The 60 shuts down faster BUT it has solutions - taping the battery lid is more effective on it. Of course you don't have to run the 60 on batteries anyways - you run it on the rugged 4 pin connector.
Hard core guys do not have that option on the 62; using the mini USB will wreck the unit. When the screen goes out; it goes out. For hard core riders that can be a chunk of the day.

Screen is softer, software is more nannyish... great if you are a predictable clone... not so good if you do things different. Rubber sides fall apart much quicker, doing most everything the 60 does well requires more steps on the 62.

Of course it has it's advantages. But it is definitely not a clear winner in every category. On both my 62's - original and replacement after the original broke real fast , the 3 axis compass is horribly inaccurate... great idea - just it didn't work.
I love having 2,000 waypoints vs 1,000 but I'm over 2,000 now and the 62 is insane... it says nothing when I mark a new point, it randomly picks another way point to delete without telling me which one. I haven't figured out yet if there is a rhyme or reason to it.

The 62 took some steps forward but mostly went backwards for the "hard core" category it is in.
If you ride a twin, never in the rain, are pretty predictable, don't know your actual heading so believe the 62's you probably think it is an improvement in every way.
In my opinion the 62 fits somewhere between the 60 and the typical cell phone gps apps. Phones are usually much prettier, fancier and less rugged.

Quote:

Besides, this is not the 'Is the 60/76 better than the 62/78?' thread. Maybe it's time we remembered that.
Actually how the new generation compares with the one it replaced is probably one of the more relevant topics for people interested in these models.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:21 AM   #471
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Actually how the new generation compares with the one it replaced is probably one of the more relevant topics for people interested in these models.
I don't disagree - go ahead and create the topic if it interests you.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #472
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
doing most everything the 60 does well requires more steps on the 62. The 62 took some steps forward but mostly went backwards for the "hard core" category it is in.
Ricky, You may already know all the options but you may want to look at my web site for set up tips on 62/78. http://www.dualsportwest.com/ I think I have them as close to 60/76 as possible.

Don't know why you would even consider a 62 on a dirt bike with the 78 having 12 V. Don't have any hours on 78 yet so don't know reliability.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #473
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,047
Quote:
In my opinion the 62 fits somewhere between the 60 and the typical cell phone gps apps. Phones are usually much prettier, fancier and less rugged.
This is my opinion as well.

The 62/78 NEEDS a bigger screen. When they decided to dither the fonts on that already tiny screen, now the letters lost a lot of the sharpness and they're even more difficult to read. The blocky indicator font looks cool and futuristic and all, but again, it's a lot harder to read than a clear, bold number. Fixing what isn't broken, or something.

The amount of menus and keypresses to do the basic stuff is insane. If I wanted to dedicate my attention to a GPS just to use it, I'd use my phone. The big reason I use a GPS is because I can thumb through the pages and get the info I want without too much work, and in many cases without looking at the screen till the info I want is up.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #474
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
The amount of menus and keypresses to do the basic stuff is insane. If I wanted to dedicate my attention to a GPS just to use it, I'd use my phone. The big reason I use a GPS is because I can thumb through the pages and get the info I want without too much work, and in many cases without looking at the screen till the info I want is up.
You do realize that just like the 60/76, you can add and remove screens and change the order they're in, so you only see the ones you want, in the Classic profile?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #475
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,047
Quote:
You do realize that just like the 60/76, you can add and remove screens and change the order they're in, so you only see the ones you want, in the Classic profile?
Try deleting a waypoint.

Yes, I'm well aware of "page sequence" and "ribbon off".
The Profiles are just a collection of settings; but you're right, switching to "classic" sets the display to grid-of-12-menu and no-ribbon. It doesn't fix the broken UI though.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #476
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Ok, let's see the comparisons between the 60/62/76/78 in this thread: Which is Better? The 60/76 or 62/78 Series?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #477
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMule View Post
Try deleting a waypoint.

Yes, I'm well aware of "page sequence" and "ribbon off".
The Profiles are just a collection of settings; but you're right, switching to "classic" sets the display to grid-of-12-menu and no-ribbon.
Whatever.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 07-26-2013 at 02:31 PM
Old 07-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #478
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Emmbbeedee I'm just curioius - do you work with Garmin in any way? Nothing wrong with that of course but it would be helpful to know...

You're very knowledgeable and helpful with your knowldege. But you do cover for/defend their weak areas. My concern in that is it may lessen Gammin's motivaton to make an actually better product and instead focus their resources on convincing customers a lesser product is better than it really is.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #479
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Emmbbeedee I'm just curioius - do you work with Garmin in any way? Nothing wrong with that of course but it would be helpful to know...

You're very knowledgeable and helpful with your knowldege. But you do cover for/defend their weak areas. My concern in that is it may lessen Gammin's motivaton to make an actually better product and instead focus their resources on convincing customers a lesser product is better than it really is.
No, I don't have anything to do with Garmin, aside from liking many of their products.

And I don't believe there's anything "lesser" about the basic gps units, if they're used for their intended purposes.

IE, none of the 62/78/60/76 series is a motorcycle gps, so if you use one on your motorcycle, then it may or may not do well for you.

That's why my main gps these days is a Montana.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #480
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:
Ok, let's see the comparisons between the 60/62/76/78 in this thread: Which is Better? The 60/76 or 62/78 Series?
Good idea... I shared my thoughts on the 61X there!