User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
Tenni126 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
My '69 R69US

So, I thought about starting a build thread back when I started this thing, but I knew it'd take f o r e v e r due to the cost of getting it done right, my active duty lifestyle, wife, kid, blah blah... so I've sort of waited till I had a little more progress to report. Plus, I needed to see the light at the end of the tunnel to believe I'd ever get it done at all.
Anyway, what I gots is a '69 R69US. I got it from a buddy who bought it in a real estate deal in 1980. Since he never registered it, technically I'm the second owner.
First off, I'm primarily a Guzzi guy and only ended up with an airhead by chance. I traded a California for a nice '74 R90/6, and after a bunch of work (including swapping in a complete K100RS front end) I found I actually kinda liked the old BMWs. Now I have been after this guy since I saw the bike in the corner in about 2003 to sell it to me. After several failed attempts (most involving lots of whiskey) to convince him to sell to me, I gave up for awhile. Finally, I convinced him to have it restored if he wouldn't sell, so at least it wasn't rotting away. We ended up talking a guy I knew who had a shop (Dyna Reno) into putting it together, but unfortunately he passed away before he could get it done.
Frustrated, I offered to trade temporarily my R90 for the R69US, with the deal that he'd have a BMW to ride, and I'd have space to work. In other words, he gave it to me.
So I traded this:

For this:
Tenni126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
Tenni126 OP
Adventurer

It was pretty rough, but mostly everything is there. The paint was done when I got it, but it was missing things like the toolbox door, R69S fender script, turn signals, things like that. After much lost sleep, I decided due to the relative rarity of the bike and the unknown service history, that I'd farm out the mechanical restoration of the motor and trans to the experts. So, off to Vech for rebuild. I got this shiny thing back after much money later.

Against some advice, and in line with others, I had the frame and other hard parts powdercoated.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
Tenni126 OP
Adventurer

After selling my old DR650, I sent the wheels off to Woody's for respoke and sealed bearing conversion.
Shiny...
Old 07-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
Tenni126 OP
Adventurer

Once those major parts came back, I was left with tons of time-soaking small stuff not worth photos. You know, wire wheeling all the hardware one nut and bolt and wave washer at a time, converting the stupid original ball bearing steering stem setup to tapered roller, spending literally hours trying to find a good picture of how the friction steering damper goes together. Looking for sh#t I had misplaced in during the cross-town move my wife made while I was on deployment. Lots of beers just looking at it convinced I was in over my head. The usual.
Anyway, here it is right now.

As you can tell, it's getting closer! I'm down to a milk crate of parts. Mostly Denfield racks, carb parts, things like that. I'm hoping to have the funds together to send the trans off for re-work in the next month or so. Ride by the end of the year? That's the current goal...
Old 07-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,976
That's gonna be a nice one!
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
Tenni126 OP
Adventurer

Thanks! I figure that by having the motor and trans done properly, it'll be good to go mechanically and by having a notable shop do the work it resets the lack of maintenance history should it ever come into question. All the rest of my ham-fisted work can be easily redone to restoration level should I decide to do really do it up right some day, but for now I'm trying to put my OCD tendencies aside and just get it back on the road as efficiently as possible.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,642
Beautiful!
Old 03-18-2014, 10:02 PM   #8
Tenni126 OP
Adventurer

It lives!!!

Well, after nearly four years, I finally started her up, sans mufflers (didn't show up until yesterday) and did some initial carb tuning. Amazingly it settled into a decent idle almost immediately!!! I still have to rig the front and rear brakes, track down the signal for the generator light, hook up the speedo light and lots of other little things, but it starts and runs at least.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:44 PM   #9
Evo1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Beautiful bike. Congratulations!
Evo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:32 AM   #10
nobbylon
n00b

Oddometer: 9
looks great, I really admire your patience!
nobbylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:31 AM   #11
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 746
Looks like it's coming together quite nicely. A very attractive bike indeed.

You need to tuck away all the cables so it looks a little more tidy. I'm not so sure I'd keep the mirror down like that, if the mirror gets bumped or moved without notice, it may damage the gas tank when you turn the bars.

You're doing a nice job.
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:05 AM   #12
daveoneshot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Projects like this give inspiration to all of us !!
daveoneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #13
Thorazine
Likes exhaust fumes

Oddometer: 608
I love the R69s, and you've done we'll--a slap on the back for ya.

But I'm still not sure I understand the 'trade' you and the PO made. Did you make a straight across trade for your R90, meaning this is yours, and the R90 is his now?

Either way, the bike looks great. Nice work.

* Posts submitted under the moniker Thorazine are for entertainment purposes only, and may include exaggerations, prevarications or bald-faced lies. -- Thorazine - '74 R90/6
Thorazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #14
Thorazine
Likes exhaust fumes

Oddometer: 608
One more thing: if you get this beaut running soon, there's a Tech Day in La Mesa Sat. April 12. You can come and show it off or you can just come and hang out with other Airheads.

PM me if you need more details.

* Posts submitted under the moniker Thorazine are for entertainment purposes only, and may include exaggerations, prevarications or bald-faced lies. -- Thorazine - '74 R90/6
Thorazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:35 PM   #15
Tenni126 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorazine View Post
One more thing: if you get this beaut running soon, there's a Tech Day in La Mesa Sat. April 12. You can come and show it off or you can just come and hang out with other Airheads.

PM me if you need more details.
Will do!
As long as I get the rear engine mount stud in time, and provided I can get the front brakes working properly I should be able to make that.

The deal with the R90...the black bike belonged to a friend of mine. I have been after him for years to sell me the bike since it just sat in the corner of his garage, all torn apart and sitting in 70's era tupperware. He spent so long saying no, it became sort of a running joke. After I got married and moved to SoCal, my available space for toys was far less than the 2 acres I had in Nevada. One night, after a fair amount of whiskey had been consumed, I proposed that he keep my R90/6 up there and that I would take the bones of the R69US and start putting it together. It solved the problem of storage for me, gave him a BMW to ride when he didn't feel like taking the ST1300 into town, and got the R69 back on the road. I kept both titles, so really he gave it to me. But R90 is his as long as he wants it, though I reallllly miss having it around.