User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 06:35 AM   #1
kb123 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
power outlet?

can my r75/5 handle a power outlet for heated vest?
thoughts are appreciated.
kevin
kb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,926
If you're on the stock charging system, that would be straining it pretty hard. Heated grips is about the limits...though I've heard of people doing a vest (not sure how successfully.)
You might want to check into an endurolast charging system.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #3
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,640
At 70w for the vest (90W for a sleeved jacket liner), it'd nearly overtax the stock 180W charging system. But you don't run a heated vest at 100% all the time. For the initial warmup you may want 100% for a minute or two to get toasty but you'd be running it at 20-40% (15-30W) most of the time. Do-able.

--Bill
Old 07-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
brocktoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Upgrading to the /6 charging system will give you a little extra headroom, if you don't want to spend the money on the EME or Motorrad Elektrik alternator upgrades.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

That, too. And I'd forgotten that Motorrad Elektrik offers a /6 upgrade kit:

Quote:
High Output Alternator Conversion for /5 Boxers $200.00

Higher Output Alternator for /5-The 70 through 73 models have a 180 watt charging system and a small 18 amp-hour battery that has a hard time staying charged. To get the same 280 watt output that later boxers have, the stator is rewound and used with a new Omega diode board. Your stator is returned ready to install, with a new diode board. The supplied Omega diode board, is the same one as supplied with the 400 watt Omega alternator for Airheads.

http://www.motoelekt.com/charging.htm
which is a sensible way to go with the /5.

--Bill
Old 07-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
kb123 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
would a gel battery help

bike did come with new gel battery. sounds like for occasional use things might be ok. what will i notice if this doesnt work? dead battery, etc?
kb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb123 View Post
bike did come with new gel battery. sounds like for occasional use things might be ok. what will i notice if this doesnt work? dead battery, etc?
What happens? You won't have enough energy store in the battery to start it the next time.

Solution? Monitor the battery voltage while riding.. <13 volts = not charging enough. If < 13 then for the last 15 minutes of riding you really really need to reduce the electrical load so the voltage > 13. If <12 then immediately rediuce the electrical load!
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:37 AM   #8
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

That is a good way to manage the vehicle electrics. I have an LED bar-graph voltmeter (Kuryakin brand) on mine. Reliable and readable at a glance. Even with a 450W alternator I have extra Halogen lighting and three levels of heated gear.

--Bill
Old 07-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
tlux
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Component Charging

This is my setup for charging my phone and ipod etc. Just ripped the outlet out of the wall and hooked it up!

My bike is a 76' R90/6 and I run a 90w heated jacket liner and sometimes have my gps hooked up and charge little devices. It seems to work ok but having all that running I always try to charge my bike after rides, especially shorter ones where the system wont be able to fully recharge.
tlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #10
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,926
That's the funniest damn thing I've seen all week. I like your style!
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #11
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
FYI:

After installing the acewell speedo I did some tests with the volt meter. So if it's accurate, this is what I got with Girbings heated pants and jacket with I believe to be hot grips (came on bike) and an enduralast 450 watts @ 14V (32A) at 5,000 RPM. The out put is usually about 14.5 V at that RPM with a new healthy (Odyssey) battery.

Grips: aprox - 1 volt on high, think it's closer to 1/2 volt tho.

pants: aprox - 1 volt on high

jacket: aprox -1 volt on high

With every thing running on high the volts drop to 12 and continue to drop at a rate of about .5V every few seconds. So it looks like's that's too much for the hopped up alternator. If I shut off any one of those items the volts will recover, Any combination of two items will give me 13 to 13.5 volts.

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.

batoutoflahonda screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 08:53 AM
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

As a side note. Problem with heated gear is it doesn't stop wind. So even with it on high it can still be cold as the wind comes through the gear.

I commute at night over a mountain pass here in the Pacific North West, temps even in the summer are in the 40s and 50s. I have found that if you can keep the wind out, you stay pretty warm at those temps. So I wear like a First Gear quilted one piece and layer accordingly. Honestly, rather than spend the money on heated stuff (which is nice) I would look at stuff like the suit I mentioned, or like the North Face wind stopper stuff. As an experament, try wearing a rain jacket or wind breaker over like a flannel shirt under your gear (Stuff you can get at good will). Then see if you still need heated gear.

Cow eyes don't glow.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #13
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,582
Previous post is spot on. There are a couple of companies that make liner jackets that are not only reasonably windproof, but have a metallic liner that reflects a tremendous amount of heat back toward you. I use the Colombia Omniheat stuff, and have been pleased. Coupled with one of the lower draw heated liners (Warm and Safe makes one that is 65 watts and very nice), I've ridden all over with great results in temps as low as 20 f.

Get a voltage meter. There are some very good ones out there. The Heads Up is simple, and the display takes up no space whatsoever.

Generally, I find I have sufficient power with a mere 180 watts in most conditions except stop-and-go traffic.

Replace your tail and brake with a quality LED bulb, and perhaps your signals also, although this isn't as large an issue as signals are by nature intermittent. This gains you some energy.

Replacing the charging system isn't as simple or cheap as it may first appear. I'd do the first steps and see if things work out for you. If they don't, you can still upgrade the charging system, and you can still use all the gear you purchased on the first go-through.

I've got a few bikes with minimal electrical reserve, and this has worked for me. Managing available resources is much easier when you know what's going on.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #14
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by batoutoflahonda View Post
After installing the acewell speedo I did some tests with the volt meter. So if it's accurate, this is what I got with Girbings heated pants and jacket with I believe to be hot grips (came on bike) and an enduralast 450 watts @ 14V (32A) at 5,000 RPM. The out put is usually about 14.5 V at that RPM with a new healthy (Odyssey) battery.

Grips: aprox - 1 volt on high, think it's closer to 1/2 volt tho.

pants: aprox - 1 volt on high

jacket: aprox -1 volt on high
I suspect the voltage drop is in the wiring not the battery/alternator. Test at the battery to see. If it is in the wiring, find out where .. could be several places. Possibly your accessories are connected through the standard wiring that is only just coping with the standard load?

Warin screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 03:10 PM
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #15
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Right. But keep in mind that what you are suggesting, is how this heated stuff works. By heating wires. Lots of little wires. The jacket liner is said to draw 77 watts on it's own. And will feel like it's burning you if have the power. So say the pants draw another 77W, hot grips draw about 38W x2, plus a 55W bulb, 20W tail light and say 20W for the ignition (points). All totaled it's 325W estimated.

Here is an article that goes a little more in depth on testing. Scroll to the bottom to performance:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/heated-jacket/

Cow eyes don't glow.

batoutoflahonda screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 05:03 PM