Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #91
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokie View Post
I bought my '72 R75 for $200. Basically all I got was a frame (no sub frame), a rear rim with the hub cut out (just spoke stubs where the hub would have been), a fairly complete lower end and a transmission with a damaged case. After some rummaging, some donations, some purchases and some fabrication,...... I now have a rolling frame and some boxes and an outlay of $1007.

Yikes. Hopefully you don't get in too deep. $1k could have gotten you a complete bike...maybe even running, if you were lucky.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #92
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 813
I guess I just like making something from nothing. I have trouble saying or knowing when to let them die. The frame came with a title and I have a crap-load of misc. parts, so,....... why not?

I wonder if I'll think the same thing a few months down the road?

Oh, while I'm thinking of it, would anybody have a spare,......
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #93
Pezz_gs
Cant ride for crap

Oddometer: 3,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Spinner View Post
You may find that after you buy one, Airheads have been known, by many a wife, to breed in the garage. Started out with 1 and now there are... a few more (need to be discreet in case the wife reads this!). The problem is that once you start looking for parts, you may find another bike for not much more... that you plan to scavenge parts off of. However, once you get it home... you look it over and think... well... it doesn't need much doing to it so you start buying a few parts... then you find you have almost enough parts to build another bike... so you look for another frame and engine... and the cycle repeats itself!

From the off...and to save money, you need to tell and convince yourself that you will...

1, never sell your spare parts, but you may trade or give some away to get someone elses bike running.
2, lie to yourself by rationalizing it to be cheaper to buy/fix/mod than it actually will. We all know the truth.
3, need three bikes because it just looks better than one or two... and we already know that you will buy a parts bike that will not end up being a parts bike.
4, not start looking at pictures of airheads... you will then start buying parts to build what you have seen
5, enjoy it more than any other motorcycle as long as you don't need working brakes and have thick soled boots to help you stop!
Still Love this Clay Spinner ^^^

2 of my entries below. I also have an 2 x R80G/S Dakars, R65LS, half an R90/6 and half an R75/5

Burnt out 1994 R80 Mono which will be rebuilt, started collecting parts

R100LT bought from an inmate here, as a parts Bike

Swapped an old R65 engine with a knock and a bit of cash and now have a full fairing, tank sidecovers and seat for it. Just sitting on there until its turn comes around

Pezz_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #94
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,999
I've been riding airheads for twenty years spread across three bikes
83 R80ST
$2,500 purchase price
$3,500 in a parts and service spread across the last 20 years.

86 R80
$3,200 Purchase price
~$1,500 in P&S
Spread across the last ten years, but now it needs some TLC in the form of pushrod seals, new starter, and a top end refresh

93 R100GS
Great deal purchase price
A whole lot of money
Rebuilt tranny
New wiring
New switch gear
Rebuilt drive shaft
New headlight frame,
Solo Seat

Needs wheels to be relaced

Cost per mile my airheads outweigh my Japanese bikes by a very long way.

Yet I still love em and all three of them are worth what I bought them for. (which is better than most of my Japanese bikes that's for sure)
Old 09-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #95
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyork5 View Post
So far into it about $1,000 (plus the purchase price of $4K) - just purchased from my cousin, been in storage in his garage for 25+ yrs., and has 11K on the clock. (New tires, petcocks, fuel lines, battery, plugs, fluids & filters, rear main seal, oil pump O ring, clutch spline lube, carbs rebuilt, probably forgetting something - did the work myself with help - thanks again TINK.

Good looking bike Mike, last time I talked to you, you still were waiting to get it. You've had a busy spring/summer.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:14 AM   #96
isdt BMW
willserv@aol.com

Oddometer: 235
R-75 ISDT Replica

Bought bent frame parts bike with title for $500, Husky forks and wheel $20, Husky seat $125, controls and headlight $10, taillight $35, Paint $80, muffler $20, ceramic coat headpipes $100, tires $80, SS spoke kits $200, fenders free, cylinder $75, trans with clutch 250, rings $110, vdo speedo $240, tool bag $60 and some nuts and bolts and misc. I'd guess about 2 grand and it is on the road, or trail
isdt BMW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #97
Mikeyork5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
Good looking bike Mike, last time I talked to you, you still were waiting to get it. You've had a busy spring/summer.
Steve -

Yep, got it in May - and I took a leisurely couple of months getting her in shape and running properly. All in all, I didn't have to do a whole lot to it. New tires, battery, fuel lines, fluids of course, rebuilt carbs, Tink help me pull the trans and do the main oil seal and oil pump 'O' ring, lubed the clutch spline - now she is good to go. Ended up probably putting about $1,500 into it - so with the $4K purchase price I think I'm sitting pretty good. But, the money was/is never the issue is it? She has 12K on the clock and runs like a charm - I'm a happy camper.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #98
CaptainCrunch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Is beer factored in?

I only have one. $2600 + $150 title/registration + $250 in new battery, fluids, carb kits, Clymer manual & specialty tools + $89 Dunlop K70 and tube + $100 for 6 cases of Old Style/High Life. So we're only about $200 over my $3k budget.

But it did come with probably $1000 worth of extra parts, a Haynes manual plus an old Schott jacket, so I could bring that spreadsheet balance way down if I wanted to.

I tell my wife it's pretty much the cheapest bad habit there is.

1976 BMW R75/6 with '78 R100S heart transplant. 1967 Honda CL90 Scrambler project. 2011 LaVita Vespa clone (for the missus)
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:21 AM   #99
rightsideup
Get your motor running...

Oddometer: 961
1978 R100S

1,000 purchase price plus about 150 over the last 18 months on carb rebuild, centrestand repair, oil and filters - not bad at all!
rightsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:36 AM   #100
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
If I added up what I've spent on my RS over twenty years, I'd have a heart attack.
I want to keep riding. I ain't adding anything up.