Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 05:45 AM   #1
Alaskajeff OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Riders down on Seward highway

http://www.ktuu.com/news/ktuu-accide...,3191005.story
One rider was John Beyers a local (Anchorage) CMA member, he was life flighted out but did not survive. Prayers go out to his family and friends. PLEASE be safe out there. This has been a terrible summer for riders...
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
2011 Verys ADV
92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
We drove back last night from Kasilof after dip netting , passed the aftermath and it was a nasty scene. Will get video uploaded.

Rip.

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
HanzoSteel
n00bish

Oddometer: 888
My prayers go out to his family and friends.

My sister and brother inlaw have been active in CMA for many years. Thank you John for all the work you have done and the people you have touched, God Bless.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
Brendon@TMS
The Motorcycle Shop

Oddometer: 255
Hey Nutty, I don't think anyone wants to see the scene of a fatal accident...

At least I don't, seen enough this summer.
Facebook! facebook.com/themotorcycleshopak
Brendon@TMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Alaskahack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Brandon
Thank You

All the riders to date this year RIP

Blog: alaskapeeks.blogspot.com

Retired and Riding
Alaskahack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Damn.....don't know if its my imagination or not, but of the 20+ years I've been riding in AK, this seems like the most grim year ever, when it comes to bike wrecks/fatalities. Very thankful that I had the good fortune to wind up in the non fatal category. My thoughts go out to the victims.

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:18 PM   #7
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
by far one of the worst years.

and sorry, no vid's will be uploaded.

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:07 AM   #8
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK650 View Post
Damn.....don't know if its my imagination or not, but of the 20+ years I've been riding in AK, this seems like the most grim year ever, when it comes to bike wrecks/fatalities.
I don’t know but I think it has been worse. However the riding season is far from over.
Searched for ‘motorcycle fatalities by state’.
https://www.google.com/search?source...1...........0.

For Alaska ...
Near bottom of page, page 15 of 15, 2010-2011
http://exchange.aaa.com/wp-content/u...s-by-State.pdf

Same as above page 15 of 17, 2011-2012
http://www.ghsa.org/html/publication...ycles_2012.pdf

2007 thru 2011
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/departm.../2_AK_2011.htm
So what I am seeing for motorcycle fatalities in Alaska ...
2007- 6
2008 - 8
2009 - 7
20010 – 9
2011 – 10
2012 – 8
48 in 6 years.
Seems pretty rare to have something like this happen where a bike hits the back of a car.
Not that rare to have a bike hit another that went down when riding in a group. No way am I going to ride with a large group but this wasn’t one. A group of 3 or 4 max is ok with me ... if I know the riders.
These guys weren’t a bunch of young squids riding fast on sport bikes. I often see such large groups like that & it makes me cringe.

About the rear end collision: I have to wonder why these guys were following the car when it appears there were two Northbound lanes at that point. I wasn’t there, may have been traffic in both lanes. But I do see a skid mark in the right lane that must have come from the second bike. Hmm ...
Didn't look like the right lane was about to end. I’d sure like to know if & how long that car used his turn signal & how quick he slowed.
If at all possible I will always move to the lane that puts more room between me & the vehicle ahead, gives a bigger cushion for error & more importantly gives me a much better view down the road. Yeah, I change lanes a lot.
And I’ll go like hell to get into an area that puts me where there is a lot more space between me & anything in front, back or sides. I do not ever want to ride or drive with a car right next to me. In town I don’t like being in those outside lanes where I am harder to see from side streets & where cars are slowing & turning off, or entering the road.

Like I said, the riding season ain’t over. Be alert & careful out there.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #9
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
About the rear end collision: I have to wonder why these guys were following the car when it appears there were two Northbound lanes at that point. I wasn’t there, may have been traffic in both lanes. But I do see a skid mark in the right lane that must have come from the second bike. Hmm ...
Didn't look like the right lane was about to end. I’d sure like to know if & how long that car used his turn signal & how quick he slowed.
That pullout should be blocked off from all traffic, period. It's an extreme hazard. Four years ago, I lost sight of my riding partner so I waited 3 or 4 minutes at the Tesoro, then headed back north to find her. She pulled into that turnout and I remember how uncomfortable I felt waiting for the oncoming to clear so I could turn left. There simply was no exit plan to be had. Everyone powers up on that straight stretch headed north, and in the late afternoon it's right into the sun. The turnout isn't necessary for southbound traffic and what happened in this instance is exactly why it's an extreme hazard for the northbound traffic.

The man who died is the father of a coworker. Very sad. I understand he was very well liked.
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:49 AM   #10
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVBMR View Post
...I remember how uncomfortable I felt waiting for the oncoming to clear so I could turn left.
Yeah, I hate that. There have been times when I just went on down the road a bit & found a place, a break in traffic, & made a U-turn. Don’t want to be a sittin’ duck. A sittin’ Duc?

Friar Mike reminded me of this one last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by friar mike View Post
Or in front of my shop when a semi is running up your ASS right Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Yeah. Really gotta watch your six when having to sit & wait for traffic so you can make a left. Hate that.
Heavy oncoming traffic. Big truck comin’ from way behind me. Now I see his back tires smokin’, gettin’ a little crossed up.
ZOOM! Up the road I go to make a U-turn.

Surprised you remembered that. I must have told a good story.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote