Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #61
Nanabijou OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdn View Post
Thanks a lot, Mike! I wondered how the bags stayed in place. The solution with the bungey cords sounds pretty simple, I like it.
Jdn - I'm pretty satisfied with this setup. Waterproof. Durable. And nice and simple. If I had to do it all over again - I would have bought the Ortliebs right away. Waterproof is the way to go.

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:47 AM   #62
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Have you ever though about building a streamlined trunk? You would keep all of the locking storage space you need and gain 20kph of passing speed. You could probably put the larger front sprocket back on.

sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #63
Nanabijou OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Have you ever though about building a streamlined trunk? You would keep all of the locking storage space you need and gain 20kph of passing speed. You could probably put the larger front sprocket back on.

It's funny Sendler. I was just thinking about that last night. More specifically - if Givi or some other top case manufacturer has looked at streamlining their cases and saddles. Creating a new range of products that look sleek and modern - and promise some improvement in fuel economy over more conventional cases. Instead of the case sticking out sideways on the back of the bike - have it extend length wise. Something like the Vetter setup in your photo - but just the upper portion. And then hard saddles that are more aerodynamic too.

Mike
Old 07-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #64
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Great report,read the whole thing on this rainy sunday.Something about riding by yourself gives you a whole different perspective on things.I also like your writing style.
You seem like you have a real zest for exploring.

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:21 AM   #65
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
if Givi or some other top case manufacturer has looked at streamlining their cases and saddles.
And offer cases designed for a solo rider that utilize the area right up behind you.
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:51 AM   #66
Nanabijou OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gham View Post
Something about riding by yourself gives you a whole different perspective on things.
Wow Gham! Not sure I could summarize it any better. You nailed it. And that perspective seems to disappear when you ride with others.

Mike
Old 07-29-2013, 06:51 AM   #67
Nanabijou OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
And offer cases designed for a solo rider that utilize the area right up behind you.
Exactly.

Mike
Old 11-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #68
Nanabijou OP
Studly Adventurer

I found a photo of the old beach at Windy Lake Provincial Park. I believe this photo was taken around 1985. The table that I was sitting on when this photo was captured is located remarkably close to where the more recent photo was taken in this trip report. A comparison of the photos reveals that the garbage bins no longer line the beach.

And here is a photo of the hill (the volcano-like hill in the distance) where the fire tower is located across Windy Lake (Cascaden tower). This photo was taken south of the hill from a helicopter on our way out to a grid. I was working as a summer student for Falconbridge Exploration (Mining) and was gathering rock samples in the area. This photo was taken in 1990.

Mike

Nanabijou screwed with this post 11-08-2013 at 11:07 AM
Old 11-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #69
Free Radical
High speed drifter

Oddometer: 1,402
Great report.

Looks cold.

"A cheeseburger, a tank of gas, and the hell out of here!" -- Graffiti, Men's Room, Fontanelli's Tavern, Norman, OK c 1974
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #70
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Exactly.

Mike
Would Giant Loop's "saddlebags" work? The panniers come right up over the top behind the rider and down the other side. Don't have them yet but will probably get some -- I don't plan on touring 2 up and I dig Colebatch's preference for soft bags vs hard boxes.
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:20 AM   #71
Nanabijou OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Radical View Post
Great report.

Looks cold.
The weather just north of Lake Superior can be unpredictable. You can be riding through 30C (86F) temps in the middle of summer and then suddenly experience pockets of 10C (50F) cold. But the temps warm up as you ride away from the big lake. On this trip - the daytimes highs ranged from between 25C-30C (77F-86F). The overnight lows can be noticeably cooler in Northern Ontario compared to Southern Ontario - so you need to prepare for that.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:39 AM   #72
Nanabijou OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
Would Giant Loop's "saddlebags" work? The panniers come right up over the top behind the rider and down the other side. Don't have them yet but will probably get some -- I don't plan on touring 2 up and I dig Colebatch's preference for soft bags vs hard boxes.
I've considered purchasing a Giant Loop Great Basin wrap-around bag previously. By acting as a tail-bag and saddles (all-in-one) you don't have to find a way to secure the tail-bag onto the bike separately from the saddles. This seems pretty convenient. But they apparently aren't waterproof. The other drawback I envision is that it would be cumbersome packing a lot of my stuff in the bag. And then when you need a particularly item - finding it, and retrieving it during a stop may be a challenge. And I'm not convinced the Great Basin would be a "click and go" setup - which is ultimately what I'm striving for with my gear. My top case now serves as my primary "tail-bag" and it's hard to dispute the convenience of the "click-and-go" convenience of the Givi setup.

My Ortieb saddles can stay fastened to the bike too while I remove or replace gear out and into them. And they are easy to access at a stop. Quick and convenient top loading and unloading. I hate fighting with straps - trying to find the most secure way to attach bags to the bike each time I need to place the bags back on the bike after breaking down camp. That can waste a lot of time. The Ortliebs aren't the greatest in this respect - because they can be a big floppy unless you can find some creative ways to secure them to the bike. I have a US20 Kriega bag that I can attach to the pillion seat in just a couple of seconds with two speed clip straps that stay attached under the seat and clip into the US20 bag. I like this design. I'll probably use it on my next trip. It should help the air flow behind me a little more cleanly.

Mike

Nanabijou screwed with this post 11-09-2013 at 04:11 AM
Old 11-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #73
2WDcanuck
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Really enjoyed your RR!! I grew up in Cartier and like you spent many great days at Windy Lake and the surrounding area. (Living in Toronto now for the past 25 years). I get up there a few times a year and always make a point to stop in at High Falls. Keep the RR's coming. Love seeing guys do these rides on the smaller more sensible bikes. Just picked up a 2014 CRF 250L a month ago.
Have high hopes to get many miles on next summer. Maybe I'll get up to TBay
for a visit. Make my mandatory stop at the Hoito!!!
2WDcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #74
sophijo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Outstanding!!

A great trip and a really outstanding report; extraordinary writing and a ton of photos! Perfect!!
sophijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #75
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Thanks for the reply re Giant Loop possibilities. I had forgotten that in order to really have waterproofness one would have to buy the specially shaped dry bags to go inside the saddlebags. The saddlebag itself is only described on their website as "water resistant". I think they could stand to make that much more obvious on the site instead of throwing around stuff about "trucker's tarps" and "mil-spec" (especially w/o calling out the spec itself). One thing about the dry bags is that they would serve to organize the load a bit, it could still be a hassle finding something to take out if you stop along the way.

Loved the report! Looking forward to your next one!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote