Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #181
The Exterminator
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hi bro and Patty :). Your bike was so close to the river!
Glad it was only your number plate that went in.
Good to see the pics and the progress is happening, and that you are both making the most out of a bad situation. The place where you are camped is nice. It's great to read and hear stories from across the globe about how nice and friendly all of the people have been. That's a classic with the bike on top of the Pajero.
Reminds me of a Pajero that we seen coming home from Fraser a few years ago
The Exterminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:23 AM   #182
New-Rider
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
That's awesome Patty. Craig is a lucky guy. I'm looking forward to meeting you (and Craig again)

Thanks Noah

Looking forward to your visit to Oz, I should have my own little bike when you get downunder .
New-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #183
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
the porosity (holes) in that weld make it very weak and prone to fracture very quickly, looks like no welding gas was used when this was done as i see a stick welded laying on the floor? Try and seek out a Mig or Tig welder if possible, i understand where you are but for your own safety I would suggest it be rewelded and stongley braced otherwise you will be doing it over and over again for the rest of your journey
Well spotted, he used an arc welder. I'm kicking myself that I didn't find a good MIG welder to do the job. Osh is a surprisingly big place and maybe there is one around but I'm told once a welder becomes good at his job they leave and go to Russia to earn the bigger bucks. The jobs effectively done now and I risk doing more damage if I cut it away and re-weld, so what I'll do is re-weld it if/when it fractures and brace it all up then. Bishkek & Almaty aren't that far away so I'll be able to re-do it there if need be. Thanks for the tips, I'll put this down as a learning experience for next time.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #184
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

The wait is coming to a close

There really isn't much to do in Osh, which is a good thing because we don't feel guilty for not doing anything while we wait for the parts. We're on holidays, so we've been sitting around getting fat.

There is a bazaar which can wile away a couple of hours. We bumped into a Swiss guy that we met in Bishkek, who we got into trouble with the police because we unwittingly parked in the driveway to the presidential palace to have a chat.

The locals got a little too friendly with Patty

mmm yum

We wondered whether we could watch a chicken grow up in the time it took to repair the bike

This guy grabbed me for a photo. The health authorities in Oz wouldn't allow meat to hang in the 35 degree heat but it looks fresh to me

Patty picked up a new dress for $7 - that's my kinda shopping, the cheap kind. When she asked to try it on they took her to the dressing room, a shipping container that had people sleeping in it. They didn't budge when she went in to get changed She's a stunner

The french people that I mentioned in an earlier post carrying two GS's in their truck were still at the guesthouse waiting for an 800kg gearbox to arrive from Germany. They'd been at the guesthouse for 5 weeks going out of their minds but finally the parts arrived and were fitted.

Their truck was a behemoth amongst trucks. 4.1m high

5.4m when the sleeping cabin is lifted

Did you know in france they don't call french toast, french toast - in france it's called old bread.

In my earlier post I may not have been entirely clear. Jack Lilley at first didn't want to sell us the parts because of the crack but after we sent them more photos and explained the situation they helped us out. We exchanged quite a few emails to get everything that was needed and they responded quickly each time. They've been a big help, easy to talk to and helped with the invoicing I'll definitely be using them again in the future.

Once we ordered the parts it took 5 working days for them all to arrive.

A Brit (Mark) got some welding done on the chassis of his well thought out Landy.

The welding was done next to a backyard abbatoir. While we waited 4 cows were unloaded and we were asked if we wanted Shishlek for lunch. I said no, as tempting as it was. Nothing was wasted.

Dinner with some new friends

I put a message up on the HUBB asking if there was anyone flying from UK to Kyrgyzstan and we received a response from Sambor who organises tours in Bishkek saying that his friend was coming on Sunday and that he would get back to us. We waited but in our impatience we went ahead and booked it with DHL Osh, who quoted $200 less than if it was arranged through the UK DHL. It's not the usual way of doing it and it does have its risks but we figured if we paid them they would be more willing to help us with the customs taxes.

After two days of waiting for the box to be picked up we called DHL UK to see if they had received instructions from our DHL. Nothing. This made us nervous because now it wouldn't allow us enough time to get out of Kazakhstan before our visa expired, and the Kazakh embassy in Bishkek recently 'closed until further notice' so extending it wasn't an option

Shortly after booking the delivery with DHL Sambor got back to us with his friends details and we thought 'why not give it a shot'. At 8:00 Saturday morning Sambor's friend, Andrew emailed us and said he was flying that day at 13:00. In a mad hurry we organised a courier to pick up the package and meet Andrew at the airport. So many 'what if's' started whirling through my head. There were so many things that could go wrong - what if the courier didn't make it, what if the flight wouldn't allow the excess baggage, what if it got left behind at the airport. It was a very nervous few hours but one hour before the flight we got a call saying everything was ok and the box was on the plane.

7:00 this morning Sambor called me to tell me he'll arrange for a taxi to deliver the parts to me in Osh. The online community is amazing and I don't know how I can ever repay the two of them, but especially Andrew, for bringing the package from the UK.

The parts should get here this afternoon and then the fun begins

GuiltyParty screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 06:08 AM
GuiltyParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:21 AM   #185
sonnyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Thanks for sharing a nice ride, glad you guys came out survived that fall/accident. Good luck with the rebuild under the circumstances
sonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #186
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Thumb Thanks for the up date

I was a bit worry for you two, glad things working out in your favor
Good luck and thanks for sharing your Amazing journey.
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #187
GotDR650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Their truck was a behemoth amongst trucks. 4.1m high

Love these trucks. I got the chance to drive one a couple of times when I was in the Army.
Gearbox probelms occur when driving it to long in the torque convertor range
DR 650 SuperMoto
Yamaha TX 650
Yamaha XJR 1300
BMW R75/5 Toaster
BMW R90/6
BMW R1100GS
Suzuki GS1000S
GotDR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #188
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Talking

I'm glad to hear that everything is coming together and look forward to seeing you guys on the road again soon. Are you still planning on riding the Bam and road of bones?

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #189
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,606
Bloody hell!

Craig, I go away on two weeks holiday and you throw your bike in a ditch!

Glad you're both OK and hope you get things rideable again soon.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #190
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrout View Post
Are you still planning on riding the Bam and road of bones?
Unfortunately not, we were supposed to be starting it 1st August but by the time we get there it will be getting too cold. We're aiming for Vladivostok where we've organised to share a shipping container to Oz.

Another time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Craig, I go away on two weeks holiday and you throw your bike in a ditch!
You went away for the rally?
Old 07-29-2013, 03:02 AM   #191
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuiltyParty View Post
You went away for the rally?
Stella Alpina and some other tracks around the Alps and across France. Photos http://s396.photobucket.com/user/bla...?sort=2&page=1 and videos to come on Youtube. Not that you'll have any time to look at them now that you have a bike to rebuild.

On that note. I understand that the connection from the ECU to the clocks is CanBus so you might have problems there with the new cluster. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me (Jack Lilleys) can help you out if you do have problems.
Good luck and please keep the reports flowing.

You should know that all Tigers like a nap occasionally.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:04 AM   #192
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,135
Quote:
We're aiming for Vladivostok where we've organised to share a shipping container to Oz.
Bugger it! That's no good at all...

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:48 AM   #193
Vacumatic
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Unfortunately not, we were supposed to be starting it 1st August but by the time we get there it will be getting too cold. We're aiming for Vladivostok where we've organised to share a shipping container to Oz.

Best Wishes from all at 51LMS Craig, glad you guys are safe.

G
Vacumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #194
GuiltyParty OP
drifter

Triumph Lada

The box of goodies arrived at 5:30 in the morning in mint order and cost $10 for the 650km journey from Bishkek. Waiting for them to arrive made me sleepless.

It was Christmas in July

Jack Lilley packed the box like a pro. Nothing moved and it all sat in there snug and tight.

First step, transferring the useful bits from the radiator to the new radiator

Ta dah

Surprisingly the old one was still retaining fluid but it was all bent out of shape so I replaced it. The mechanic Sherzod said he'll use it one day

While I worked on the radiator Sherzod straightened the frame where the front sub-frame attaches

Like new

We listened to Russian metal music while we worked. Sherzod drank beer. The official temperature was 43 degrees so you can imagine how hot it was at the end of the shipping container with one tiny window for light. Sweat was running from us. Beer was way off my agenda.

Installing the sump didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped. I was sent a water pump hose rather than a water pump drainage tube so I couldn't replace the bent one in the sump. We managed to bend the old one into a shape and it seemed to fit ok. I wish we had a new one though it would have given me a bit more confidence.

I used a razor blade to remove all traces of the old sump gasket so I don't get any unwanted leaks down the track.

Lunch we had an amazing shishlek, the best I've had this trip and that says a lot. I wanted a coke but Sherzod bought me a beer.

With the sump back we could fit the exhaust and the radiator. The exhaust just slid back into place.

Later on I had to take the exhaust off once it was fitted because there is a bolt going into the sump guard bracket that can't be accessed with the exhaust on. Also because we moved the rear brake canister for the welding it got stuck on the other side of the exhaust. The exhaust just pulls apart and easy to put back on.

3:00 in the afternoon is when the sun is really turning it on so I can only do 15 minute intervals in the container before I need to get out.

Friends of Sherzod's come and go and are always doing something on their bikes. I reckon they fiddle with it so it stops working just so they can have an excuse to play with it some more. Here they're trying to fit an enduro tyre to their Planeta 5.

A single cylinder Planeta 4. Check out where the exhausts are. Sherzod had a massive burn on his leg from where he went to put his foot down and his leg nudged it.

For dinner we had a bbq with our new friends Mark and Cheryl from the UK.

The first of the cars from the Mongol Rally were coming in. It took them two weeks to get from London One of the guys used to live in the same street as me

I was knackered from the days work because of the heat but still I couldn't sleep, all I could think of was fixing the bike.

Day 2

I woke up and felt like shit. I was so tired and so lethargic I didn't want to move. I think I had a bit of heat exhaustion.

My aim for the day was getting the forks and the wheels back on so I could get the bike out of the shipping container and into some shade where I can keep working on it.

Starting to look like a bike again

I wanted to vomit and had to sit down. Working in the shipping container the day before really knocked me about.

It was a short day and I slept on a couch in the guesthouse in an airconditioned room for four hours.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #195
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,135
Soldier on mate! I don't know how you can do everything you are doing all at once... worrying about the bike, getting the bike sorted, taking photo's and then putting it all on here so we can read about it in the luxury of our homes. AWESOME! <<<< Those smilies should be clapping...

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote