User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
Jayelwin OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Help with 2001 Ke100 carb leak

So my wife's 2001 KE100 seems to drip gas on the garage floor all the time. So I traced it back to the float bowl overflow. It seems the float bowl keeps filling up until it overflows through the overflow outlet. So it's time to rebuild that carb. I'm guessing I need to replace the float needle valve at least. I cannot find a rebuild kit for this bike. I find these: ( http://www.jerryscycles.com/catalog/i261.html ) but listed only to 1999. I cannot find if the 2001 had the same carb. And people on line had doubts as to whether these had the right stuff.

Anyone out there rebuild a 2001 KE100 carb? Thanks.
Jayelwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Strip the carb down, and carefully check the float needle and seating for wear using a magnifying glass. If that seems ok, you should check to see if the floats are porous (unlikely but worth checking).

The float needle and seating are almost certainly the same as other bikes, so these should be easy to find if thats the problem.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
Jayelwin OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Strip the carb down, and carefully check the float needle and seating for wear using a magnifying glass. If that seems ok, you should check to see if the floats are porous (unlikely but worth checking).

The float needle and seating are almost certainly the same as other bikes, so these should be easy to find if thats the problem.
Good point. Float height could also leave the needle valve open too.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
SprintSix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
You can still get all the parts for that carb from your Kawasaki dealer. Cheap and right.
SprintSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
Jayelwin OP
Adventurer

Well, bummed that the needle valve looks perfect and once out of the carb seems to make a good seal when closed.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:59 PM   #6
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Did you take my advice and examine needle valve with a magnifying glass, and also carefully check the floats?
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,619
Also check the needle seat. It is possible that the float was stuck, and dis-assembly may have freed it. The other thing I have had happen is that there may be a small bit of debris keeping the needle from seating, and falls out when it is taken apart.

If the needle and seat are in good shape, put it back together and see what happens.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,360
And leaving it with the wonderful gas they sell us will cause this too , gums up the float mechanism and it leaks

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #9
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocktower View Post
And leaving it with the wonderful gas they sell us will cause this too , gums up the float mechanism and it leaks
100+!, especially when you get it combined with 2 stroke oil in the carb.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote