ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
Bert Fox OP
Casual Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
GNATSASS: The What and the Why

G reater
N evada
A dventure
T ouring
S ociety
A round
S ilver
S tate

Being a NV native for 60 years, I always had people ask why I lived in such a desolate place. I used to think, that if they asked that, then they hadn't seen the abundant beauty and solitude that we had to enjoy all to our selves, and that was fine with me. As a kid, I use to be out for a week at a time with my Dad and never see another soul except perhaps for a lone Basque sheepherder. I also began to learn to appreciate the fact that NV with 90% federal lands meant that it couldn't be all chopped up into private property parcels like neighboring states. When I started riding offroad in the 60s, it was apparent that we could ride for 100s or even 1000s of miles on our vast two track roads developed through decades or even a century of ranching and mining.
By the 2000s it became apparent that if we didn't utilize and share these oft forgotten routes and roads that they would be removed from the inventory and maps and taken from us. That was the "why" of how I came to develop the idea of hosting a ride somewhere in NV and starting to share my experience and knowledge of the terrific riding opportunities within the Great Basin. Much like Scot Harden and Casey and Deryle Folks have done for decades in So. NV.
GA has always been a small invitational type event due in part to the small amount of available volunteers and to lessen the impact. I have hoped that if I were to offer a small glimpse of what we have, that people could come again and again and share it with their friends and family.
I went through a late life below knee amputation and decided to focus the event as a charity fundraiser for Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, (JDRF).
I usually keep the numbers to around 50 paid entrants. The event really kicks off on a Thursday with the first dinner being served. We provide 3 dinners and 3 breakfasts culminating with Sunday breakfast and packing up and heading home. Lunches are up to you during your rides and we will tell you the potential eating and gas opportunities. We tap a keg on Fri night and finish it off on Sat. The bulk of the riding is Fri and Sat. We have an awards banquet and benefit auction following our Sat dinner which is ribeyes, corn on the cob, salad, and whatever else the caterer offers up.
We will provide you with gps tracks and some sort of maps. Sometimes we will use some ride leaders, and sometimes we show you where to go on the maps and allow you to use a self guided endeavor.
This year there are opportunities scouted for big adventure bikes, even two up possibilities, "A" rides for the adventurous types, and "B" rides for the less experienced or laid back rider. We have ATV/UTV options that may require transporting to a trail head. We prefer the bikes all be plated.
This year's event will be off of US93 east of Pioche, NV in the Spring Valley State Rec Area near Eagle reservoir. We have reserved the main group area for the Hebah's Catering. The adjacent CG has 37 sites and cannot be reserved. It is on a "first come;first serve" basis.
The fees are $100 per person and include 6 meals, coffee and beer until the keg runs out. We encourage help or assistance in bringing some auction items or donating to our cause to fundraise for JDRF.
If you would like an invitation or more information, you can pm me and I will send you my email address and or mailing info for registration. This year's event is the weekend after Labor Day, Sept 4-8, 2013.
www.gnatsass.net
Find us on Facebook. GNATSASS
Bert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer: 293
Eh?

Should be a ton of fun! I'm in!
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Beemermcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
Bert Fox OP
Casual Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Ton O Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermcr View Post
Should be a ton of fun! I'm in!
It's always fun when you and I arrange schedules....
www.gnatsass.net
Find us on Facebook. GNATSASS
Bert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote