M696
ET4
jktpa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #3543
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
Factory teams may expand to four

Autosport.com has reported that the factory MotoGP teams will be permitted to run four riders next year.

"The Grand Prix Commission has agreed to change a 2012 rule limiting factory squads to two entries from the start of next year." More ...

The MotoGP official website and crash.net have also reported that four factory riders will be allowed, but crash observes that there will remain a limit of four on the number of bikes each factory puts on the grid.

I hadn't realised the factories had been limited to two riders last year.

So, what does it all mean? Anyone know?

My first thought was that Honda had pushed through the change so as to make way for Stoner next year, and that it could also help Yamaha supply a seat to Cal Crutchlow (last I saw, Crutchlow was still claiming he'd not signed with anybody.)

But another interpretation would be that it is merely a naming change to fit the new engine rules for next year, which would appear to classify the factory-supported satellite bikes as "factory" bikes.

A hybrid of those two would be that the factories would take on the running of up to four bikes directly, while the current satellite teams would run either Honda's customer racers or Yamaha's customer engines in bespoke chassis, and as "non-factory" entries. Spec-ecu Ducs would also be "non-factory", presumably.

Sounds like there is at least potential for interesting developments.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #3544
HoneyBunz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,201
From MotoGP site, Yamaha, Tech 3 and Monster are all working very hard to keep Crutchlow at Tech 3. They expect Cal will make a decision before Indy.
I don't think they actually need to offer Cal more money than Ducati. They just need to be close. They also offer Cal a better chance to finish races on the podium and increase his net worth.

Ducati needs a slap in the face.

If Cal turns down Ducati, who will be the next choice?
Certified "Safe For Transmission" - NSA Inspector #47
HoneyBunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #3545
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBunz View Post
From MotoGP site, Yamaha, Tech 3 and Monster are all working very hard to keep Crutchlow at Tech 3. They expect Cal will make a decision before Indy.
I don't think they actually need to offer Cal more money than Ducati. They just need to be close. They also offer Cal a better chance to finish races on the podium and increase his net worth.

Ducati needs a slap in the face.

If Cal turns down Ducati, who will be the next choice?
Hayden.....
Old 07-29-2013, 09:21 AM   #3546
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,165
from a Krop tweet:

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1...e-Casey-Stoner

Old 07-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #3547
mdubya
Right Brigade

Ominous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory Haines
Here's a mid-season @MotoGP fact: @marcmarquez93 has had most podiums, most poles, most fastest laps + joint most wins/front rows
Old 07-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #3548
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:

Very interesting stuff. Especially considering Lin Jarvis has said to expect an announcement from Crutchlow before Indy. Why would Lin Jarvis know or comment unless he was part of the announcement?

If true, and I hope it is, that would be best for everyone, IMHO.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #3549
Parx400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,406
Any Rumors on the 2014 Calendar Kropp? I want to go to texas Motogp for my bachlor party party. Need to know the weekend it will be next year.
Parx400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #3550
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Autosport.com has reported that the factory MotoGP teams will be permitted to run four riders next year.

"The Grand Prix Commission has agreed to change a 2012 rule limiting factory squads to two entries from the start of next year." More ...

The MotoGP official website and crash.net have also reported that four factory riders will be allowed, but crash observes that there will remain a limit of four on the number of bikes each factory puts on the grid.

I hadn't realised the factories had been limited to two riders last year.

So, what does it all mean? Anyone know?

My first thought was that Honda had pushed through the change so as to make way for Stoner next year, and that it could also help Yamaha supply a seat to Cal Crutchlow (last I saw, Crutchlow was still claiming he'd not signed with anybody.)

But another interpretation would be that it is merely a naming change to fit the new engine rules for next year, which would appear to classify the factory-supported satellite bikes as "factory" bikes.

A hybrid of those two would be that the factories would take on the running of up to four bikes directly, while the current satellite teams would run either Honda's customer racers or Yamaha's customer engines in bespoke chassis, and as "non-factory" entries. Spec-ecu Ducs would also be "non-factory", presumably.

Sounds like there is at least potential for interesting developments.
Honda and Ducati are each already running 4 factory supported riders this year. Nothing is really changing.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #3551
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
Phillip Island, and assuming the world title is still not decided by then, how stupid would HRC look if: 1. Lorenzo 2. Stoner 3. Pedrosa 4. Marquez?
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #3552
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parx400 View Post
Any Rumors on the 2014 Calendar Kropp? I want to go to texas Motogp for my bachlor party party. Need to know the weekend it will be next year.
Way too early. It will be in April some time, probably the 3rd of 4th weekend, but that's just an educated guess. Provisional calendar will come out around Misano, probably, in September, another one in November, but that might not be final.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #3553
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,115
Quote:
Hard to imagine. To come close to the Ducati money Yamaha would be offering him something in Rossi territory. That in itself would go over like a turd in a punchbowl.

Lotta moola for 5th or 6th...

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #3554
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
The promoter has a naked self-interest in propelling the story regardless of the chances.

I guess if Marquez is already unassailable in the points by then, Stoner wouldn't take anything away from another Honda rider. The "testing" will be a great opportunity for all parties to assess his capabilities....

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #3555
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkiwi View Post
Hard to imagine. To come close to the Ducati money Yamaha would be offering him something in Rossi territory. That in itself would go over like a turd in a punchbowl.

Lotta moola for 5th or 6th...
You think? Rossi money?

He should take it but make it a one year deal. Lots of very confident athletes do one year deals on poor teams when they are emerging. Teams want to sign them for longer terms, but the confident ones say no. They want a mega contract the next year, and are willing to risk a bad season or injury. I love those guys and Cal is clearly emerging. To my eyes, he is showing quite a bit more speed than Ben Spies was. Yamaha and Honda will still covet him if he stays healthy. I vote for him to finally get a payday.

It is a risk, but we all know Cal relishes the risky end of things. In 3 years he may be driving a cab, but I am willing to bet on him. He's a different fellow from the rest. Sort of a Max story without the acid. There is no better than that!
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote