User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Oddometer: 466
Mav's a n00b (American Fork Canyon)

It seems like it has been ages since I hit the western portion of the TAT. A lot has happened between then and now--like entering the actual adult world(Blows P.s). I've spend about two years without a bike, henceforth known as the dark ages. However, I'm BACK!

We hit riding hard late April, early May. We even had an extra rider this year. Nothing is a true Maverickchick story without some drama and gore though. So true to Mav fashion someone ate it big, and had to be transported via ambulance to the hospital. Now I know you are thinking, Mav is bound to go to the hospital at one point--she falls like 50 times a day.

Wrong. My little sister had been riding for a month or so, when she missed a corner out in the west desert. Total fluke accident, she went up and off the road--about a foot climb. I was right behind her when she hit the ground and she was was screaming, 14 year old dramatic flair I thought. Wrong again. Long story short she ended up taking a bar to the tummy wrong and ended up in a children's hospital for a week with Spleen, liver and lung damage. She is safely home now, and will be crusin' around on a 4 wheeler until she wants to get back on a bike.

On to the less depressing stuff--

OURAY, CO in August 2013!! Hopefully we will be able to schedule Hancock pass for a little 'Web-redemption' , cue Tosh.0.

So to get me back into the swing of things, we are riding American Fork in Utah. This area is known to be a little sketch, so it will be the perfect training ground for my (hopefully) triumphant return. I'm planning on documenting our weekend trips to AF here, and then will be doing a longer and in-depth one about day trippin' in Colorado.

This was our weekly ride to Mineral Basin in American Fork Canyon. It's been a good two years since I've been in the dirt--and it shows.

MaverickChick screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 08:53 PM
MaverickChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
n00b shows the wannabes

Good goin MCHick. Sorry bout the lil sis' gut shot. She got the actual injuries most of us only feared while writhing and gasping from the handlebar punch.

Re: your AmFork training rides, I saw you'd been up Mineral Fork too, lighten up girl. That steep rock garden riding is baptism by fire. But ain't the scenery grand? When you stop?

I figure to scout the 157 ridge trail on the mountain bike but you could GoPro it for me so I don't get self in to extreme heavy lifting with the DR650.

For training I'd recommend feet on the pegs, standing single track riding with fewer rocks. It's tough to get a rhythm and feel for the bike in a bounce and bash climb like that 194 to Forest Lake route. The trick is to maintain momentum when you get knocked out of your line. That kind of riding requires looking ahead, scanning alternate lines through the obstacles and making quick decisions. That said, you're full adventure! The GoPro doesn't do justice to the challenge there.

You should try the single track in the Stansburys between South Willow and North Willow but ride it early in the morning this time of year.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,550
That does NOT look like fun at all....but the scenery is magnificent!

I'll bet gearing down a couple of teeth would really cut down on the stalls, and make like easier for the clutch.
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcd View Post
Good goin MCHick. Sorry bout the lil sis' gut shot. She got the actual injuries most of us only feared while writhing and gasping from the handlebar punch.

Re: your AmFork training rides, I saw you'd been up Mineral Fork too, lighten up girl. That steep rock garden riding is baptism by fire. But ain't the scenery grand? When you stop?

I figure to scout the 157 ridge trail on the mountain bike but you could GoPro it for me so I don't get self in to extreme heavy lifting with the DR650.

For training I'd recommend feet on the pegs, standing single track riding with fewer rocks. It's tough to get a rhythm and feel for the bike in a bounce and bash climb like that 194 to Forest Lake route. The trick is to maintain momentum when you get knocked out of your line. That kind of riding requires looking ahead, scanning alternate lines through the obstacles and making quick decisions. That said, you're full adventure! The GoPro doesn't do justice to the challenge there.

You should try the single track in the Stansburys between South Willow and North Willow but ride it early in the morning this time of year.
Baptism by fire is one way I'd describe it, haha. I will for sure add trail 157 to our list of things to check out. We're planning on camping there this weekend, so hopefully we'll be able to check out the oodles of trails it offers.

I was dabbing in that rock field just to keep my balance, no way I could maintain speed in that situation yet. Oh well, I'll get back in the groove one day

I'm actually more apt to try stuff with massive boulders than single track. I saw a couple of YouTube video's with some wicked switchbacks--and those right handers...Which,actually leads me into my next post for last weekend when we took the trials bike out to play.

Thank you for your recommendations and words of encouragement
Old 07-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Bob View Post
That does NOT look like fun at all....but the scenery is magnificent!

I'll bet gearing down a couple of teeth would really cut down on the stalls, and make like easier for the clutch.
In the mail, and should be here by next weekend We also looked into a Rekluse for the 525--but didn't have any luck with that. That's cheating though, anyways.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #6
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Mav struggles on the Trials bike

I know I know, I've been slacking on the updates.To keep any interested parties updated--we've still been hitting American Fork.

We tried Mineral fork again--this time with my mom and sister on the ATV. Needless to say they didn't like being brought there. I managed to hit the same rock and tip the rock and tip the bike in the exact same spot. However, I was able to get out with zero stalls and on my first try. Any progress is progress I guess

Well, my pops thought that mineral basin would be slightly easier to get up on a four wheeler. My conclusion is nope! I rode this beast a couple of times while we were there. Let's just say I will for sure be sticking to my two wheels.

My favorite parts are around 1:18 and 5:11

As the title suggests, we did take the trials bike again. My dad was convinced if I gave it more time--that it would work out better for me. So I do try. Well previously I had semi conquered this steep foot path-esque route to the river. I say previously because I rookied it, and hit a step at a weird angle. My dad and I both thought that I had spun out the back tire--but the video shows all (upload soon)! Anyywayss I try it on the trials bike three times--and none of them are pretty. I hit a root and got knocked forward--effectively burning the crap out of my right leg. And I cant seem to manage to stay on those pegs...going up I take a rock, get knocked backwards and feet off the pegs, going down get knocked backwards grab clutch and speedy demon down the sketchiness...I do however have a blast on it driving through the little streams though.

Lots of people, I feel like assume Utah is just a giant desert where nothing green grows. We did happen upon some beautiful single track. The sand pit? Oh don't mind that.

Needless to say the trials bike is going up for sale. Yes I probably am being a premature quitter, but I'm content with the 525.

MaverickChick screwed with this post 07-26-2013 at 07:29 AM
MaverickChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

gluttons

for punishment. That four wheeler video looks made for masochists. Give me a bike any day but I'm starting to wonder about your Pop and all the boulders. Am Fork is crazy beautiful and I've been back again too. May just jump over Guardsman's and back that way if the weather's not to gnarly after I get my new tire on this afternoon.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Quote:
for punishment. That four wheeler video looks made for masochists. Give me a bike any day but I'm starting to wonder about your Pop and all the boulders. Am Fork is crazy beautiful and I've been back again too. May just jump over Guardsman's and back that way if the weather's not to gnarly after I get my new tire on this afternoon.
Boulders are awesome, c'mon

I hope that tire didn't give you crap, and you made it over to Guardsmans!
Old 07-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #9
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

different boulders

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickChick View Post
Boulders are awesome, c'mon
I don't want to be an enabler but there's more and steeper in Snake Creek. Not the variety and expanse of American Fork but interesting.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=907369
Old 07-30-2013, 07:00 AM   #10
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Quote:
I don't want to be an enabler but there's more and steeper in Snake Creek. Not the variety and expanse of American Fork but interesting.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=907369
That sounds like something I won't hit for awhile . Maybe I'll wait until I can make it to the ski lifts at mineral basin.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
bonekrusher
big jerk

Oddometer: 52
Where is that single track? Is it up by Bakers fork?

I found a single track that looked very similar to that up snake creek that eventually dropped down into AF canyon. Thanks for the report.
bonekrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #12
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonekrusher View Post

I found a single track that looked very similar to that up snake creek that eventually dropped down into AF canyon. Thanks for the report.
If you went to the top of Snake Creek you may have found the Sunset Peak end of the 157 single track. 157 runs from Sunset Peak at Alta/Brighton all the way to the Alpine Loop. I may have to ride north from Pole Line Pass on my mountain bike to scout that section. I was hoping to see if Snake Creek connected with 157 but decided to bail before getting tossed by my DR650.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:27 AM   #13
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Quote:

Quote:
If you went to the top of Snake Creek you may have found the Sunset Peak end of the 157 single track. 157 runs from Sunset Peak at Alta/Brighton all the way to the Alpine Loop. I may have to ride north from Pole Line Pass on my mountain bike to scout that section. I was hoping to see if Snake Creek connected with 157 but decided to bail before getting tossed by my DR650.
We stumbled into 157 near the top 1/3rd of the trail, where it connects to a turn around just off the main road. I hope to check out all the other single track American Fork has to offer when we get back from Ouray.

Speaking of....We leave tomorrow Happy Friday to me
Old 07-31-2013, 03:29 PM   #14
bonekrusher
big jerk

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Ok, so judging by some trail maps I found it appears you are correct. I would have to go up there again to prove it as it was a long time ago but it looks right.

Link to where we were sitting when we saw the track:
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=4...p=0&sz=18&z=17

We went to the top of the FR420 and while talking about where to go next my buddy spotted the single track - it took us south to just above forrest lake where we had to bail down into AF canyon and head home. Fun run but no cake walk.

Do either of you know if the trail to pittsburg lake is reachable via motorcycle?
bonekrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:50 PM   #15
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Laugh

Quote:
We went to the top of the FR420 and while talking about where to go next my buddy spotted the single track - it took us south to just above forrest lake where we had to bail down into AF canyon and head home. Fun run but no cake walk.

Do either of you know if the trail to pittsburg lake is reachable via motorcycle?
Looks like the 420 side is the link to 157 then. I was on the north side of Snake Creek and I don't think it could connect except by foot which is a go over Sunset Peak. See my point B where I bailed on the climb.

40.579379,-111.582624 (enter this coordinate in google earth)

We used to ride to Pittsburg Lake in the early 70's on our Huskys and I think that's still open. I'm not such a fan of riding a heavier bike in that terrain but keep finding myself in it.

I rode to Forest Lake on the AmFork side but didn't attempt the 171 link from there up to 157.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901506

I'm still interested in trying your 420 to 157 all the way to Timp and back but need to borrow a lighter bike for the single track. If nothing else, it would look a bit ridiculous to encounter an old dude on a DR650 with windshield up there. Especially if you had to help him pick it up

psmcd screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 05:59 PM