Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #61
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

Oddometer: 1,837
i did a stretch of black top and ended up in a campground in Vanrhynsdorp.not much going on there, i think its where people come to see the flowers when they pop up in a month or so
i woke up to the beating sound of rain at about 6,30 am ,this might be great for the local farmers but to someone that is just about to start riding for the day it's the worst sound you can hear
it managed to let up after an hour or ,just enough time to pack up the wet tent and lead you into a false sense of dryness ,got down the road 10 minutes or so and it was time to don the full wet gear for half the day,luckily it came a day later than it did, as my rear tyre is fucking bald and those hills would have been fun and games in the rain,

thecanoeguy screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 11:55 PM
thecanoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #62
kalahari-k
Kalahari-K

Oddometer: 175
Amazing Roads

I'm liking your pictures.....amazing dirt road through the hills. I was in Franschoek in April on a rented F800GS. Keep the pictures coming...the infrastructure is going to thin out a lot as you go north I guess. Amazing adventure.
kalahari-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #63
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

it was a straight run up to the Nambiian border ,but the elevation for a bit was up near 800 to 1000 metres in the rain so i was loving those heated grips,by the time i got to the border it had dried out and it doesn't look to rains here to often, the border is the Orange river

the change in the landscape over the border is amazing ,straight to desert ,like a light switch, i turned of the main route to follow the Orange River towards Fish River Canyon

dirts roads are pretty good,my mate back home needs a excavator ,this one been sitting here a while ,hoysty ,come get it ,only need to pay shipping

i ended up at a small mining town and camped behind the cafe for free ,just had to buy dinner for $7

in the morning i went looking for fish river canyon , and headed for Fish River Lodge seemed like an idea it might be near the canyon ,,there not too big on signs here

well i found it ok ,what a place very exy to stay here ,i settled for a $2.40 beer on the balcony ,the lodge is right on the edge of the canyon which looks to be about 1 km deep ,i could have settled in for the arvo

i had a chat with a few of the guys ,they stay there for 3 months and have a month off

time to head to Luderitz

half way there ,i hit a bit of a rock through a dry river crossong and must have got a pinch ,cause 10 minutes later i nearly threw it down at about 90 kays an hour when suddenly my front tyre decided to not want to hold air ,,after a nappy change it was on with the job

after the flat i managed to make a wrong turn and added 100km so it was just getting dark when i got to Luderitz

thecanoeguy screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 12:08 AM
Old 07-24-2013, 02:43 AM   #64
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999

Keep it coming
ferals5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:51 AM   #65
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

a couple of days in Luderitz is not that exciting but it was interesting, having a look at all the colonial german building in the middle of nowhere ,the place has lobster though, and good beer

this is Kolmanskop ,a ghost town 12 km out of town ,

,i managed to track down a tube by asking just about everyone in town ,i went into the hardware store as i was waiting for another guy to come back from lunch that might know someone who's friend has a bike ,so anyways the guy at the counter pointed me to a guy out the back who has a bike , oh sure i have a KTM 950 ,and have a heavy duty michelin tube ,turns out to be an 18" but that will do
Old 07-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #66
MeinMotorrad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
In.

I'd love to ride through the Namib. Keep those pictures coming
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #67
dustdonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Safe miles, Dave.

Keep us posted.

(Tent ok?)
'58 R50
'85 R80G/S PD (sold )
dustdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:31 AM   #68
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

how goes it
loving the tent, its a bit bigger than my old one so i really like the extra room ,even tested it in the rain , heading for bostwana
Old 07-27-2013, 04:29 AM   #69
K88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Good to hear that all is well (apart from the theft). I've just returned to Oz after six weeks touring southern Africa (on four wheels unfortunately), and looking at your pictures, I reckon our paths crossed a few times. Try not to speed on the highways in Botswana - but if you do get caught, the bribes are a lot cheaper than the fines.
K88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:21 AM   #70
thecanoeguy OP
just a yobbo from oz

i treid my new bead breaker tyre levers ,they are brilliant , i was hoping to get to Windhoek on this tyre but it started to delaminate with only 16,000 km on it

head out towards Aus and wondered how you could live here ,not a tree, bush ,or anything for miles but rocks ,sand and wind
head north and got to Sousesvlea around dusk ,after a few wrong turns due to the lack of signs, sandy gravel with some interesting bits ,to keep you on your toes, like, as in tank slappers a few times
next morning i wanted to go to the dunes but no bikes in the park ,so i hitch hike ,most vehicles already went before dawn and the rest full, so after keeping busy for a few hours, i got a lift,

the guys who gave me a lift out to dune 45, they pulled up to give me there pass ,but i jumped in before they had a chance to say no

a few jackyls lurking

Dune 7 is the biggest sand dune in the world and dune 45 possibly the most photographed

sandy campground

headed off for Swakopmund around lunch time and crossed the tropic of capricorn on the way ,more sandy, gravelly,corrugated, twitchy road for a fair ammount of the way ,i thought i was Gaston Rahier throwing that big GS around in the Dakar,must have been the heat

don't play in the sand

stay on the hard ground thet say

thecanoeguy screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 08:24 AM
Old 07-28-2013, 03:44 AM   #71
sonnyboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Keep it coming
sonnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #72
johnno950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
Super enjoyable photos/storys.
johnno950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #73
kalahari-k
Kalahari-K

Oddometer: 175
Bead breaker tire levers

Can you give some information, post pictures of the bead breaker tire levers? I'll also check on line, but they sound great if one tool can lever and break the bead. Cheers.
kalahari-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #74
MeinMotorrad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalahari-k View Post
Can you give some information, post pictures of the bead breaker tire levers? I'll also check on line, but they sound great if one tool can lever and break the bead. Cheers.
Motion Pro do these.
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #75
Bell driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Love the report. Want to cruise around ZA and Namibia myself soon

Regarding the tyre spoons
http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-...pro+tyre+spoon

Get 3 in total and do like Doug Schopinsky!

And the Bead Buddy:
http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-...pro+bead+buddy
2008 KLR650E
Bell driver is offline   Reply With Quote