User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #16
Makalu
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,834
Hey all, I need some help here...My wife and I are planning on doing section 4 this weekend (Sisters to Seneca) and Iím trying to enter some waypoints the old fashion way (by hand, one at a time) into my Garmin 60CSx. The problem is this: Iíve borrowed a set of maps from a friend and there are GPS coordinates (on the map) at each major turn. They start out in a format that my GPS recognizes, e.g. 44,19.036/121,41.464. But after the first map, they suddenly become 44,24.55/121,25.34. What happened to that third digit at the end? Iíve searched everywhere I can think of to figure out a conversion (or maybe just adding a Ď0í to the end of every coordinate?), but I feel Iím missing something here. I sent an email to the person that supplies the maps (Cyber K Studios/OOHVA) to find out what the deal is, but so far no response.

I know some folks have offered up tracks (.gpx), but Iím not smart enough to know what to do with them or how to get them on my GPS unit.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
Makalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #17
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makalu View Post
But after the first map, they suddenly become 44,24.55/121,25.34. What happened to that third digit at the end?
That one appears to be in Degrees, Minutes.Seconds (i.e. DD.MM.SS) format. The other may be Degrees, Minutes.Fractions of a minute (i.e. DD.MM.MMM).
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #18
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makalu View Post
My wife and I are planning on doing section 4 this weekend (Sisters to Seneca) and Iím trying to enter some waypoints into my Garmin 60CSx.

I know some folks have offered up tracks (.gpx), but Iím not smart enough to know what to do with them or how to get them on my GPS unit.
Learn to use Tracks! But then, there is nothing to learn except how to download them. Once in your 60 just follow the line on the map. The only buttons you ever need to push is Zoom In & Out. You may want to read my web site on 60/76 set up and use. DualSportWest.com

If nothing else get my OBDR file form GPSXchange.com then just click your own way points on the map and download them to your 60.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #19
Mud Bucket OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Heading down again

Looks like this thread is still alive. Funny, I was look up the OBDR tracks again and tried googling and it took me here. I want to leave Vancouver BC 5am this Saturday (31st) and want to head to Hood River for noonish (Food and Beer) the same day and start to trail heading down. I think we will head as far down as Klamath Lake and either cut East across above or below and link up with route at Lake view and proceed to take it North to 84. Good large loop. Time sensitive 8 days then back home.
Mud Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #20
Mud Bucket OP
Adventurer

Just got back

Just completed the Route 3 down from Hood River to Crater lake then East to Lake view and route 5 to Prairie city then slabbed it through the huge storm through Washington back home. 28 thousand lightning strikes, crazy. GPS route worked well with the road closed after Paisley heading North with a bunch of blow down. Small re-route. Track was awesome after that
Old 09-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #21
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Bucket View Post
GPS route worked well
Who's
Old 09-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #22
Mud Bucket OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Who's
The one from Craftycoder. I down loaded it and put it into my Zumo. Most of the tracks were perfect some were points you had to use the existing roads on the GPS to follow along. I'll try and put together the route we took and post it up
Old 09-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #23
Mud Bucket OP
Adventurer

September trip.gpx

Here is the route we took minus the I5 road and back from Vancouver. First day was 566 miles from Vancouver to first camp on the map. Left at 4:30am and set camp up at 11:30 pm, with a lunch stop at Hood river for beer and pizza.. Round trip was 6 days.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx September trip.gpx (879.1 KB, 156 views)
Old 11-07-2013, 12:33 AM   #24
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Bucket View Post
September trip.gpx

Here is the route we took minus the I5 road and back from Vancouver. First day was 566 miles from Vancouver to first camp on the map. Left at 4:30am and set camp up at 11:30 pm, with a lunch stop at Hood river for beer and pizza.. Round trip was 6 days.
You fuckers came through Hood River and didn't call or stop by???

I ran my dirty route from Hood River to Sisters this September also. 3 days to Sisters, 3 days back.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #25
Mud Bucket OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
You fuckers came through Hood River and didn't call or stop by???

I ran my dirty route from Hood River to Sisters this September also. 3 days to Sisters, 3 days back.
Haha, just saw this. Our bad Apple Jam, we should have zipped by.
Hit you up next time