Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #91
nunsnmoses
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I'm loving this RR, really making me want a WR250R... or a Super Sherpa since I'm short :P

Thanks for sharing!
nunsnmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #92
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouse View Post
Interesting observations on 650 vs 250.

I'm very interested in the WR250R but have just one concern about a 250 engine making this much power: longevity of the motor. How many miles do those things last before needing a valve job or rings/pistons or cylinder redone? Many highly-stressed dirt-bike engines like this need a rebuild by 15 or 20 thousand miles. No so with a DR650, which is a very under-stressed engine.

I have owned both the KLR650 and DR650 for many years. Never felt vibration was a problem with either, although I much prefer the DR650 over the KLR650. The DR is smoother, simpler, lighter, better off-road, bulletproof, trouble-free and lasts just as long as the KLR.
The WR250R has 26,000 mile valve adjustment intervals. Can't beat that. Thanks Yamaha. Only time it feels stressed to me is at about 85-90 mph. But there's no fun for me in riding at those speeds - so it isn't a problem. It feels very relaxed at 65 mph and fuel-economy is much better there too.

It's funny - a friend who rides a Sportster, took my CBR150R out on a 150 mile day-ride yesterday. He couldn't believe how smooth it ran at 65 mph. His left hand never went numb the entire ride......a problem he experiences often with the Sportster. His hand never went numb riding the WR250R either.

Really enjoying this report. Go WR!!!!

Mike

Nanabijou screwed with this post 07-30-2013 at 06:25 PM
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #93
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
The WR250R has 26,000 mile valve adjustment intervals. Can't beat that. Thanks Yamaha. Only time it feels stressed to me is at about 85-90 mph. But there's no fun for me in riding at those speeds - so it isn't a problem. It feels very relaxed at 65 mph and fuel-economy is much better there too.

It's funny - a friend who rides a Sportster, took my CBR150R out on a 150 mile day-ride yesterday. He couldn't believe how smooth it ran at 65 mph. His left hand never went numb the entire ride......a problem he experiences often with the Sportster.

Really enjoying this report. Go WR!!!!

Mike
A friend of mine rides a WR in S. America. He has 69,000 miles (not KM) on it and I asked what he has done to it. "Add fuel" was his response. So it sounds like they are up to the challenge. A WR is on my list for the next bike too.

pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #94
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Francis Lake was Awesome!!!....We met a guy camping there who just came in on his boat and brought us over 2 cold beers. I asked: How's the fishing?....He replied: Good and Bad--------what I don't get it?
He went on to explain that all the lake trout they could catch were 30lbs or bigger!!!!
And that was just too big to fit in there frying pan!!!!........Life is TUFF sometimes!!!
Beautiful spot!!! Looks like you guys were in the same site!
Scott

DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #95
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrate View Post
A friend of mine rides a WR in S. America. He has 69,000 miles (not KM) on it and I asked what he has done to it. "Add fuel" was his response. So it sounds like they are up to the challenge. A WR is on my list for the next bike too.
What country? I'm surprised the shitty fuel hasn't caused an engine failure
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:18 AM   #96
ManLee OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Francis Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingWeed View Post
Francis Lake was Awesome!!!....We met a guy camping there who just came in on his boat and brought us over 2 cold beers. I asked: How's the fishing?....He replied: Good and Bad--------what I don't get it?
He went on to explain that all the lake trout they could catch were 30lbs or bigger!!!!
And that was just too big to fit in there frying pan!!!!........Life is TUFF sometimes!!!
Beautiful spot!!! Looks like you guys were in the same site!
Scott

Too bad its so far away. Thats a spot we'd like to return to and just spend some time. Deans dying to catch a 30lb trout. The only diapointment was that the weather was so nice we did't take advantage of the free firewood. We did not have a single camp fire the entire trip. Seems either there was no wood available or it was just too hot and dry.
ManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:58 AM   #97
Hennepinboy
Have battery will travel.

Oddometer: 445
"What she did tell me was that we should not go to Ross River on the Robert Campbell Highway. She said heavy mining trucks have torn the road up and that it is in terrible shape and nearly impassable. I tried to explain to her about the bikes we were on and that we could "go anywhere". She said the last group that tried had a bad crash and a serious injury."

We where given the same information, we chickened out and rode the paved road to Dawson City.

Curt R1200GS Adventure
Old 07-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #98
ManLee OP
Adventurer

Day 8

Day 8 June 28, 2013
Francis Lake, YT to Carmacks YT
289 miles

Its 120 miles of dirt road from Francis Lake to the town of Ross River. The first 10 miles were some of the worst washboard I had seen. I thought this was going to be a long miserable day but after that first 10 miles we passed one last mining operation and it turned to hard packed gravel. You could really motor on this and it went on and on and on..

Its funny that out in the middle of nowhere you come across this viewing and information area. Kinda like what youd see alongside the highway.

This is the most isolated stretch of road on the whole trip. We didnt see anyone on it and Ill bet if you were stranded it would be days before anyone would happen by. Later I talked to a guy in Fairbanks and he said he avoids this road because its boring and all you see is trees. I thought it was awesome and beats the hell out of the Alcan.

Our last fill up was yesterday 230 miles ago and we were greeted with this out of gas sign in Ross River. Not a good feeling. They told us there should be a fuel delivery later this afternoon. The Next fuel is in Faro 50 miles away. We did some quick calculations dumped in our remaining gas and headed to Faro.

We made it to Faro with gas to spare. Turns out we could easily do 300 miles with all our jugs full up. It was actually good to have a long test run before we tackled the haul road. Faro is kind of a ghost town. There is an abandoned industrial mine nearby and you can tell by the vintage of all the houses that there was a boom in the 70s. We had another hamburger at the restaurant and talked to a guy who came there for 2 months 35 years ago and never left. The only jobs left are cleaning up the mess the mining company left behind when they pulled out.

We camped at Coal Creek Campground in Carmacks right on the Yukon River. This is where we met up with Hennepinboy(Curt) and his brother who were also on their way to Deadhorse.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #99
murdock84
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Looks like a great ride you guys had.
murdock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #100
advmgm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
man, nice report and great pics!!

And you are on the right bikes to boot!!

Can't wait for more!
Old 07-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #101
Sidehil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I know your gonna say it so I will. This is the last place I slept on my fancy insulated Big Agnes air mat that I was so proud of. Saved 50 bucks at the REI sale and then left it there. I think those jealous Harley boys (stole it). Carry on with the thread Manley
Sidehil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #102
ManLee OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidehil View Post
I know your gonna say it so I will. This is the last place I slept on my fancy insulated Big Agnes air mat that I was so proud of. Saved 50 bucks at the REI sale and then left it there. I think those jealous Harley boys (stole it). Carry on with the thread Manley
I hadn't forgot about your mattress. Don't know if it was them but they definitely had room in their trailers. I almost forgot about those guys. They were funny. Not funny ha ha though.

First let me say that we ran into all kinds of people from all over the world on all kinds of bikes. In general it did not matter what you were riding, BMW, Harley, Triumph, KTM, KLR Suzuki, Yamaha, most people were having a great time and wanted to share their stories and hear about yours. We arrived at the campground in Carmacks at the same time as 3 guys all on identical full dress Harleys. All 3 were pulling fairly large utility trailers. Despite the fact that we arrived together, parked next to each other, and set up camp next to each other, they never said a word to us, never made any eye contact with us or did anything to acknowledge that we even existed on the same planet as them.

The next morning I was loading my bike up next to the head dude sporting a full on Paul Tuttle mustache who was loading his trailer. A father and his little boy walked by and started checking out his bike.

Father to son: "I'll bet you'd like one of those some day"
Harley dude: "I don't blame him!"
Father: "He'd probably want a Honda though."
Me: I don't blame him!"

Man I cracked my self up.

Working on Day 9 right now.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #103
ManLee OP
Adventurer

Day 9

Day 9 June 29, 2013
Carmacks, YT to TOK, AK
411 Miles

This was our longest day of riding on the trip. Good thing we broke camp early and headed for Dawson.

We stopped in Pelly Crossing for fuel but they weren't open yet and we had plenty to make it to the next town. We BS'd with this local for a while. He was quite the character. Dean asked him what he did in the winter. He said he reads and tries to stay warm. Must be a long winter.

The town fox. She's been showing up the last few years, has a litter of pups then leaves.

All pavement to Dawson. The 3 Harley's with trailers are in front of us. They went by us as we were pulling out from getting fuel. We followed them for about 100 miles until it started to rain and they pulled over to put rain gear on. Probably didn't want to get their assless chaps wet.

Whats left of this dredge is just off the highway on the way into Dawson. I had way points for a couple of the dredges that are still intact. I wanted to see these but my gps map of the Yukon was not great and the one road I went down had a big locked gate. Maybe you can't access them anymore without going on a tour? I don't know but I want to go back someday and see them.

Dawson is a very touristy town but I think it would be fun to stay a night and check it out. It was early in the day, the town was packed and the one place we checked did not have any vacancies. We decided to eat another burger then hit the road.

Yukon Ferry Crossing at Dawson.

If you take the Top of the World Highway just imagine the most beautiful scenery in every direction. Imagine, that's what we had to do because it was completely socked in, cold, wet, and muddy. We passed 2 guys coming towards Dawson on sport bikes and they were creeping along white knuckling it. That did not look like fun. I was up on the pegs and flew by with one hand on the throttle and the other hand waiving just to show off. Man I was on a roll today cracking myself up.

Eventually it opened up enough to see something. Would be spectacular on a bluebird day.

Seems odd to come to a boarder crossing way up here in the mountains.

Once we crossed the boarder the weather and the road conditions improved rapidly.

By the time we got to Chicken it was hot out. We didn't feel like stopping to camp yet and we decided to try and make TOK so we would have a short ride into Fairbanks the next day. Until I got home and started looking at other reports I forgot there was more to Chicken than the gas and gift shop. We never made it into town. Looks neat from the pictures I saw. Another one for next time.

We made it to Tok. There were several fires in the area and it wast hot and smokey. We had a good meal at Fast Eddies and stayed in the motel there. Tomorrow on to Fairbanks.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #104
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,121
Great report! Curious what tires you guys are running, and how they held up?
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #105
ManLee OP
Adventurer

Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Great report! Curious what tires you guys are running, and how they held up?
We both ran a Dunlop 606 on the rear and a Pirelli MT21 up front. We changed tires in Fairbanks with about 4000 miles on them. Fronts were about 1/2 gone and only cupping a bit. The rears were pretty worn but we might have gotten another 1000 miles out of them. I was happy how they both performed.